R front Splitter (HCMCarbon)

jlauth

Established Member
Does anyone have experience with the HCM Carbon cobra R fiberglass front splitter? I'm having a tough time justifing paying 1700 from Ford for the OEM splitter. If this is a quality piece it will be easier to swallow the 800 dollar price tag. The photos they have on their site look quality but maybe someone can vouch for the parts actual fitment and if it closely matches OEM.

http://www.hcmcarbon.com/product/2015-2017-mustang-shelby-gt350-fiberglass-front-splitter/

Imatk

Established Member
It'll likely be heavier than the Ford piece. But at 1700 bucks! I don't blame you for looking for an alternative.

Also fiberglass is a pain if you scrape it... unlike the plastic that Ford uses it tends to crack rather than scrape. So something to think about as well.

ANGREY

Established Member
On my first stang I had a 2000R splitter and we custom fabbed a template out of 20 gauge sheet metal to go under the entire bottom lip (for scraping).

No material is going to hold up to impacts and I have a set of splitter savers for my front (just haven't installed) for bottom scrapes. The thing I don't like about the splitter savers approach is the additional dimension it adds and still uses the fastener as the sacrificial material.

Bottom line is that if you hit something, not sure either material is appreciably better. But for scrapes, I agree, a poly product will be more forgiving than fiberglass. If you're gonna use a fiberglass splitter, you'd better have some sort of sacrificial material to protect from scrapes and abrasions. Seems like the fiberglass unit you linked also has more gloss than the factory matte finish, so you'll probably notice rock chips and scarring and scratching more.

Of course, the narrow minded solution is just not to ever scrape or bump stuff but we all know that it's nearly impossible to drive these cars on the "street" without encountering slope conditions at drives, entry ramps, etc that are all but impossible to avoid.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Carbon2Carbon all the way brother. Hold out for s little longer. We will be relaunching the web page soon

Users who are viewing this thread