Re-torque Valve Covers?

04cobraken

Established Member
Noticed a small amount of oil in all 4 spark plug wells on my drivers side when checking plugs at the end of the season. Not a lot but a few Mls in each and a little on the coil pack boots. Anyone ever re-torque the valve cover or should I just pull it and replace doughnut gaskets and gasket?

04cobraken

Established Member
Sounds like a little project for the Winter. Was looking at it and it doesn't seem like too big a job. Just as well to pull the cover I guess. Lol

Thanks

stuntstere

Established Member
On the driver side cover you'll have to unbolt the hydroboost and push it off to the side to get the valve cover off on the drivers side. That's the hardest part of it, but really not much work over all.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Just to clarify you need to pull the covers and replace the spark plug tube gaskets, not just pull the covers and reseal them alone.

stuntstere

Established Member
Yes pull the covers and replace the spark plug tube seals along with new valve cover gaskets. My bad on just stating reseal. In my mind reseal mean replacing all associated gaskets with the job, but doesn't mean everyone thinks that way.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hardest part looks to be removing the hydro boost and then it looks pretty straight forward. Thanks again

Looks like you have a 2.9 whipple though. That means passenger's side valve cover requires pulling the blower... assuming you're going to reseal that one too. I probably wouldn't if looks dry :)

04cobraken

Established Member
Passenger side was dry. Thank goodness. Lol just going to do the drivers side for now and eventually when the blower has to come off I'll do the pass.

Any reason theses leak or just faulty gaskets? Motor was rebuilt in 2010 and new ones were installed. Not sure what brand they used though. 20k on rebuild.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Any reason theses leak or just faulty gaskets? Motor was rebuilt in 2010 and new ones were installed. Not sure what brand they used though. 20k on rebuild.

Gasket probably just failed. I've owned my Cobra since new and they've never leaked. Motor rebuilt in 09 as well. So I don't think the design is bad. My BMW's inline 6 has a similar setup with tubes going down to the park plugs through the valve cover and it started leaking a little just like your car and would pool a little oil around the plugs. Had to pull the valve cover and install a new gasket to fix it. Just one of those things.

04cobraken

Established Member
Cool. Buddy of mine said he has done it a couple of times and only a couple of hours work. Could be worse I guess. Lol gaskets are cheap too.

Users who are viewing this thread