Real 03/04 cobra heat extractor hood, not stock

DevilSun

Established Member
I really like the functionality (and look) of the hood. If it was sonic blue, I'd be interested...but for now, not so much. If I had my previous mustang that was silver, it'd be bought :) Craftsmanship of the mod made to the hood is phenomenal if I do say so myself.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Cutting and adding the vents are not that hard, the hard part is getting the hood sanded and finished between the louvers. The temp difference was only a few degrees.

The temp difference was only a few degrees????:shrug:
Are you saying that the lip at windshield and the partial closing of the grille opening added to the cooling effect?

I was thinking those parts were just aero enhancements,(for mile runs) how does that work to help additional cooling air flow?

Or are you talking about the silver hood only a few degrees?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The louvers only helped about 2 -5 degrees.

2-5 degrees from a stock hood or the silver first design hood? :shrug::??:

We are talking about your louvered black hood right? :shrug::??:

What was the total temp drop from stock with everything? What exactly does the back lip and the grill blocking do for cooling?

What was the temp drop from stock on the silver first design hood?

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
1. 2-5 degrees from a stock hood or the silver first design hood? :shrug::??:

2. We are talking about your louvered black hood right? :shrug::??:

3.What was the total temp drop from stock with everything? What exactly does the back lip and the grill blocking do for cooling?

4.What was the temp drop from stock on the silver first design hood?

1. Adding the louvers on the silver hood's design (also opening up the hood opening) helped only a few degrees.

2. Yes

3. I don't know the temp drop from stock because it was work in progress, The back lip and the add material at the front of the hood does nothing for cooling .... aero only.

4. I could say as much as 40 degrees but most people will say bs (limp mode -40*=220) . I can tell you this once paul (silver cobra) and mike (red cobra) installed this hood design on their cars they never even went close to limp mode. Normal temps in 90 degree weather is around 210* where as before mike would go have to do heat management driving.

In 107 degree outside temps with a 2.93 pulley engine temps were about 225* running the car hard.

Current set-up i am running 15psi and in 90* temps i am at 195*. Last weekend running in hpde/tt i was running 190* mid day with was temps were close to 85* and oil temps were 250*. My car also has a splitter/undertray which also has louvers in it past the radiator location.

Last edited:

Doc.stang

Established Member
sweet hood!!

i am contemplating a new hood for my naturally aspirated '98, (almost ready for - ) American Iron road racing effort.

i am looking for weight savings, and also some cooling would be a side benefit, (albeit less important for me, than you FI guys).
i am considering stock-style CF, a CF heat extractor like your model, vs the tiger racing multi vented hood.

naive question:
how much does rain getting under the hood cause a problem??

the car is kept in a warehouse, and i have an enclosed trailer for weekend events.
it will be easy enough to canopy or tarp over it, while sitting in the paddock,

i presume when the car is moving, no water gets underneath.
but, . . .
what about while sitting on grid, waiting to start, red flags, etc, - when car isn't moving???
thanks,
doc

racebronco2

Established Member
sweet hood!!

i am considering stock-style CF, a CF heat extractor like your model, vs the tiger racing multi vented hood.

naive question:
how much does rain getting under the hood cause a problem??

i presume when the car is moving, no water gets underneath.
but, . . .
what about while sitting on grid, waiting to start, red flags, etc, - when car isn't moving???
thanks,
doc

I have driven in the pouring rain 100 miles from home at times sitting because of traffic thru downtown los angeles with no problems to date..

oldmodman

Established Member
Just to let you know, I bought the hood late last year. It is really a work of art.

And just to make all the silver car people cringe. I am going to get the hood repainted my car's color. Even though I will mount it just to see how it looks if I left it silver.

racebronco2

Established Member
I just acquired a stock hood, it will take me about a month to get the fibeglass work done. I would prefer local sale 600.00.

racebronco2

Established Member
I separated the hood skin from the hood assembly. Stock hood weighs 40lbs and the hood skin is only 21lbs. The underside of the hood is too damaged ti be saved but the skin can be saved. I haven't tried making molds before but i have seen it done and it doesn't seem to terrible difficult to do. The molds will be lighter then stock but they will be a lift off hoods. The hood i have does have the hinges intact but hood pins will need to be used similar to these Aerocatch Locking hood latch pin flush mount Lock - eBay (item 370489950705 end time Mar-12-11 09:50:38 PST). These look and work very well.

thicks02

Established Member
im having a problem with belt slip i have an 04 cobra stock blower with 2.76 r&r pulley and a 100mm aux pulley ? any sugestions

darkside323

Established Member
Hello just wondering if you have tried making similar hoods for s197 mustangs. I have an 07 GT 500 and I'm looking for a unique styled Louvered hood to cool off my nose heavy hot running snake.

Users who are viewing this thread