Rear Suspension Upgrade In Progress (Powdercoat Inside!!)

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks.. Now I have to figure out how to clean up the ugly ass half shafts and spindles I dont want to take apart:bash:

When I did mine, I carefully taped everything, and sandblasted the halfshafts. The rubber boots will prevent the sand from getting into them. Then, I just primed, and painted them. With the spindles, I pressed them apart to sandblast, and re-finish them, but I have special tools and fixtures that I made for doing that type of work many years ago. Everything looks great, so you don't really want to put it back in with rusty axles do you?

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
When I did mine, I carefully taped everything, and sandblasted the halfshafts. The rubber boots will prevent the sand from getting into them. Then, I just primed, and painted them. With the spindles, I pressed them apart to sandblast, and re-finish them, but I have special tools and fixtures that I made for doing that type of work many years ago. Everything looks great, so you don't really want to put it back in with rusty axles do you?

Heck no.. I am painting the half shafts which is no big deal, but I am not sure what to do about the knuckles. Just sketchy about tearing those dudes apart at like 600 bones a piece. Might just tape and spray them also.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Looking good Alex!!!:-D

I have an answer for you regarding the knuckle assemblies:

Remanufactured knuckle assemblies

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Thanks Bruce. I may have to check those out...

Thanks! I have a 99 unit in the car now, and a 03 unit that I am going to build.

Sounds like a cool project. Id save up for the FTBR kit though. If you are going to do it... Do it right..
Wow, VERY nice! :beer:

Thanks!!!:beer:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Update: Well I played with it a little bit tonite and made some progress on it. This is after2 rounds. Absolutly nothing was fitting right, so I put everything down and played some Black Ops and came back to it a few hours later. Also, last night I played with the half shafts a little bit to see what I could come up with. Dont mind the finger prints. New LPW cover will be here tomorrow!
SAM_1002.jpg

SAM_1002.jpg

SAM_1003.jpg

Also, I just want to say that Bruce is worth his weight in gold!!!! I ask the most off the wall, retarded questions at all hours of the day and night and he answers them almost immediatly and is nothing but helpful. Bruce you are an amazing dude!!! :beer::beer::beer:

Alex

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Looks nice!

Out of curiosity, what is the rough weight of the bare cradle???

Doing the job on mine soon and figured I would strip everything out of the cradle before dropping it. Seems a bit less painful to put it back in piece-by-piece as well (I hope!).

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I dont know if I would recommend stripping it while it was in the car to save weight. This is where a buddy comes in and a jack. I lowered mine out of the way my myself and it was a PITA, but dooable.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Yeah, was thinking that, but since I am doing the job solo, figured I would pull the control arms, axles, and pumpkin first. I'll probably spread the job out over a month or so and am not in any big hurry!

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Yeah, was thinking that, but since I am doing the job solo, figured I would pull the control arms, axles, and pumpkin first. I'll probably spread the job out over a month or so and am not in any big hurry!

I did mine solo too and you can do it alone and fully assembled. Just gotta balance it just right on the jack.

Users who are viewing this thread