Rebuilt rear... still making noise.

97cobra1

Established Member
Okay, so last wednesday i finally picked my car back up from a rear end freshen up.

New seals/bearings/frpp diff cover/CF friction plates and 4.10s. (MM LCA's and stock uppers).

I've noticed it's still making noise, and the shop mentioned they had a hard time adjusting the backlash due to the 4.10s and no factory specs for them?

I'm taking it back tomorrow to talk to them, but for now... i'm clueless and im sure they're gonna have to pull it apart (or at least the cover off) to check backlash etc.

Any hints/tips/advice from you guys that have done this that i can tell the shop guys?

It gets a bit louder when load is in the driver side opposed to the passenger side. As in the whine/noise gets more noticeable with curve loads and it's not noticable (at least over my exhaust) until 35-50+ but i haven't had the car over 60 since i've gotten it back.

Bite u

Established Member
It's prolly gonna b the pinion depth... Backlash is pretty standard... But ur gears r probably messing to deep or shallow causing the whine. Did they set pinion depth or just roll with the factory pinion shim?

CJK440

Established Member
Not having factory specs is bullshit. Factory specs is verifying with marking compound. Don't drive it any more or you risk wearing the gears into a mesh that is not able to read properly.

Hate to say it but the shop doesn't know how to set up gears.

97cobra1

Established Member
I stopped by and gave the guy a ride. He mentioned something about the axle/axle tube having some gouges in them so it's causing a *wurring* sound at freeway speeds. it's prominent under driver side load due to it only being the drive side axle. (it was there before the rebuild i just assumed it was part of the diff that was more audible.

I'm liking the 4.10s so far they're better for around town where i'm at because there's a lot of traffic. Little better gas mileage from less shifting around. It feels quicker seat of the pants but i haven't had a chance to really play since it's been raining a lot. I had 3.73s in it before so it wasn't exactly a dog down low, but definitely quicker.

97cobra1

Established Member
Not having factory specs is bullshit. Factory specs is verifying with marking compound. Don't drive it any more or you risk wearing the gears into a mesh that is not able to read properly.

Hate to say it but the shop doesn't know how to set up gears.

The gears are set up right. The shop does good work, my original assumptions were just that. I'm far from an expert, so was just trying to get an idea. Noises are really hard to identify without hearing them anyway, i've just never dealt with them before.

Bite u

Established Member
U over hauled the rear did u do new axle bearings? Know of the axles had any pits any them? I don't see gouges in the housing causing a whinnying noise, but that is just me. Hopefully for you sake they do, do good work and it last u a while.. U will know soon enough if it was done right or wrong...

4.10's work good I think... But start lacking getting u through 3rd n 4th... Still a strong gear! I'm enjoying mine n they r working real good for my setup

97cobra1

Established Member
U over hauled the rear did u do new axle bearings? Know of the axles had any pits any them? I don't see gouges in the housing causing a whinnying noise, but that is just me. Hopefully for you sake they do, do good work and it last u a while.. U will know soon enough if it was done right or wrong...

4.10's work good I think... But start lacking getting u through 3rd n 4th... Still a strong gear! I'm enjoying mine n they r working real good for my setup

Yeah, new axle bearings. I think it was the actual axles that had the pitting now that you mention it. Either way he said new axles and i'll be good to go, so that's the plan.

Users who are viewing this thread