Reckless Driving Tkt. for spinning tires. Course of Action

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
They really aren't that big of a deal here.. and most people wouldn't get a lawyer.. But I'd rather pay a lawyer than pay the insurance companies even more absurd amounts of money to insure my cobra, sebring, and powerstroke..

You dont think a criminal charge is a big deal? If found guilty you will have to admit to being a convicted criminal on all applications, professional licenses, and background investigations.

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
I spent huge dollars to get mine reduced down .. and even so .. it still has bit me in the ass. You don't want this on your record, I can't emphasize this enough.

Silverboost

Established Member
Hire an attorney and hire a good one. I had a very similar situation but I nailed the gas instead of slamming on the brakes to avoid the collision and I got a wreckless driving. $1000 later with an attorney and they dropped it to a careless.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
What makes you think that? If convicted; good luck with any job application.

I have never seen "have you been convicted of any MISDEMEANOR crimes?" on a job application..
I have seen the felony question, but not the misdemeanor...
If that were the case, the MIP I got two weeks before my 21st birthday would already own me if I ever fill out a job application again..
Second, I have my own business, which is doing well and I can guarantee business will only get better in my field of work. ( I sell and install solar panels on homes in a very "green" community

But, either way, the insurance companies will get the money out of me either way so I might as well give it away to the lawyer instead..

I'll be talking to a local lawyer tomorrow that helped my friend get his DUI dropped down to criminal endangerment.

I will post what happens..

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I have never seen "have you been convicted of any MISDEMEANOR crimes?" on a job application..
I have seen the felony question, but not the misdemeanor...
If that were the case, the MIP I got two weeks before my 21st birthday would already own me if I ever fill out a job application again..
Second, I have my own business, which is doing well and I can guarantee business will only get better in my field of work. ( I sell and install solar panels on homes in a very "green" community

But, either way, the insurance companies will get the money out of me either way so I might as well give it away to the lawyer instead..

I'll be talking to a local lawyer tomorrow that helped my friend get his DUI dropped down to criminal endangerment.

I will post what happens..

All applications for professional licenses, state/county/local employment, federal employment, and background investigation forms ask about all arrests and convictions.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
All applications for professional licenses, state/county/local employment, federal employment, and background investigation forms ask about all arrests and convictions.

x2... what you think might not be a big deal can hurt you big time in the long run. I know I made some stupid decisions when I was younger and it's questionable if I could become an LEO, forget getting good security clearence and even on the Fire Department it didn't look very good and would prevent me from getting on with any big city departments. Do yourself a favor even if you don't 'think' your record matters now... get the lawyer. 10 years from now you don't want to be mad at yourself and limited in what you can do becuase you decided it wasn't a big deal. :(

Best of luck.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
well i had a wrongway ticket in san diego and fought it. cop didn't show and it was dismissed. here in TX if you fight it and lose, you pay the court fees on top of ticket etc. i'd say just fight it if he shows he shows if not...your scott free! a lot of times small tickets usually are not worth the time for them, especially on a day off. i risked it and got away...up to you

S8ER01Z

Established Member
well i had a wrongway ticket in san diego and fought it. cop didn't show and it was dismissed. here in TX if you fight it and lose, you pay the court fees on top of ticket etc. i'd say just fight it if he shows he shows if not...your scott free! a lot of times small tickets usually are not worth the time for them, especially on a day off. i risked it and got away...up to you

Maybe it works different there but I believe our officers are paid to goto court since it's part of their job and all.

FordSVTFan

Established Member

Officers are paid to go to court if it is not during their normal duty hours. That aside this is a criminal traffic violation and the officers will be subpoenaed and will show.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Officers are paid to go to court if it is not during their normal duty hours. That aside this is a criminal traffic violation and the officers will be subpoenaed and will show.

Believe it or not it's fairly common for officers/troopers to not show after being subpoenaed here in Texas. I have seen LEO's re-subpoenaed twice on different occasions and still not show for a court setting. Ovbviosly the judges may react differently in other states.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Believe it or not it's fairly common for officers/troopers to not show after being subpoenaed here in Texas. I have seen LEO's re-subpoenaed twice on different occasions and still not show for a court setting. Ovbviosly the judges may react differently in other states.

I find it hard to believe when two of our members are Tx troopers and they say they always show up.

Where does your perspective come from? Are you a lawyer or court employee or just someone who had a ticket dismissed because the officer didnt show?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member

well i got the ticket in Imperial Beach, CA and one cop w/ a Terminator told me that yes they do in fact get paid to go, heard its actually overtime or something. idk the details just what i heard. maybe he just wanted a day off? idk but bottom line is he didn't show and after i headed home on leave. i have also done it once in TX, he didn't show up and i think i paid like $15 for court fee or something...didn't pay anything in CA so i guess its different. **** it, i say you go for it!:beer:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I've heard that often times they don't show up here for traffic violations, but I'd bet money he would show up for me..

I go to court in 7 hours for my initial appearance, in which case I will just be pleading not guilty.. The lawyer can take it from there.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Best of luck man, that really sucks!

I've gotten all sorts of ridiculous tickets, "illegal squealing of tires", (what's funny is I got this one in my VR4 which was AWD, the officer claimed I was spinning my rear tires at the street light :lol:).

"Not enough ground clearance"

"Illegal display of power"

I'm kinda surprised he gave you a reckless driving ticket because he heard you squeal your tires, did you get sideways when you punched it?

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Best of luck man, that really sucks!

I've gotten all sorts of ridiculous tickets, "illegal squealing of tires", (what's funny is I got this one in my VR4 which was AWD, the officer claimed I was spinning my rear tires at the street light :lol:).

"Not enough ground clearance"

"Illegal display of power"

I'm kinda surprised he gave you a reckless driving ticket because he heard you squeal your tires, did you get sideways when you punched it?

Best part is.. the tires DON'T squeal.... or leave marks.. they are azenis and way too soft to make noise..

I was going from a stop and turning left when I punched it, and the rearend may have kicked out a little.. It's not like a layed into it and held it floored leaving tracks all the way up the block..

Went to court today.. Pled not guilty. Made bail and left..

Just waiting for my lawyer to get back into town...

Ironically, my trial date is set for one day after my 25'th birthday lol...

I don't ever plan on going to trial though......... I hope

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Best part is.. the tires DON'T squeal.... or leave marks.. they are azenis and way too soft to make noise..

I was going from a stop and turning left when I punched it, and the rearend may have kicked out a little.. It's not like a layed into it and held it floored leaving tracks all the way up the block..

made bail? wtf? did you get arrested? should've just said **** it and went for it. :beer:

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member

You don't have to go, but I would recommend you do. I was told by my lawyer to show up, humble, well dressed, and looking like I 'had learned my lesson'. Saved my a55, I am telling you. And just FYI, I just started my own company as well, side business, and any large contract I get has the words ... were you convicted of ANY crimes. So, the small jobs you may have now may not matter, but as the industry your in takes off (which I concur will), you are going to want to keep your record clean to get the bigger jobs. If I hadn't, I woudl have missed out on a ton of cash this year.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
You don't have to go, but I would recommend you do. I was told by my lawyer to show up, humble, well dressed, and looking like I 'had learned my lesson'. Saved my a55, I am telling you. And just FYI, I just started my own company as well, side business, and any large contract I get has the words ... were you convicted of ANY crimes. So, the small jobs you may have now may not matter, but as the industry your in takes off (which I concur will), you are going to want to keep your record clean to get the bigger jobs. If I hadn't, I woudl have missed out on a ton of cash this year.

I will do everything that I can to make sure this goes away.. I'm hoping the CA offers us a plea and reduced charge so we will never have to go as far as trial..

I wore dress pants and shirt to court.. The judge seemed extremely nice and I almost wanted to plead no contest and see what he would go for, but I stuck to the plan..

I think I lucked out getting pulled over by a sheriff, because this puts me in Judicial court, not municipal, which has about 50 times cases, which means an annoyed judge.

I was in court for about 5 minutes, plead, and left..

I don't really understand having to pay bail, but I had to pay $250 and was sent on my way..

I've never had to plead not guilty to anything before, so this is new to me.

95Venom

Matt
Established Member
Thats what happened to me here in Florida!! After the judge told me he could take away my license, take away my car, and put me in jail!! I was happy for the careless!! But it stays on your license for 5yrs!!:nonono: Good luck!!

the judge told me that as well but I got a defferred sentence and driving class/90 days probation.

Users who are viewing this thread