Repaint of my 03

tombo9876

Established Member
I finally decided it is time to repaint my cobra. The car has just over 40k miles but I've always wanted to repaint it due to some sun damage from when I purchased it. I was able to track down a guy who came highly recommended to repaint. Keeping the original Redfire G2 color.

To keep costs down a little, as well as make the painter's life easier, I decided to do most of the disassembly at home before I have it towed to him. Just felt like sharing the journey!

Will update with pics during/after paint (after the new year).

Last time it was driven:

processed-C55971F1-9328-497A-8B7F-604A839439D4-799334A5-53E7-44F8-8B8F-BA1C375ADAF3.jpeg

Taking it apart:

20231218_010047.jpg20231219_204617.jpg20231216_235337.jpg20231218_010053.jpg

Neat find
20231219_203642.jpg

It was like this when I removed the bumper cover.. weird
20231219_204656.jpg

Only thing I broke taking stuff apart (reflector tabs). ah well..
20231219_204440.jpg

More pictures here:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How much money is your own disassembly work saving you? Is the paint shop re-assembling after the painting is finished, or are you going to do it yourself?

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I disassembled mine, pretty easy really, toughest part was the windshield and rear window. I don’t know If I saved any money but I got to inspect the parts and how they fit together . I will be putting it back together too. No one cares more about your car than you do.

tombo9876

Established Member
Putting it back together myself as well. I enjoy seeing the normally unseen parts of the car, and it is somewhat relaxing.

Saving me a few hundred between disassembly and re-assembly.

I disassembled mine, pretty easy really, toughest part was the windshield and rear window. I don’t know If I saved any money but I got to inspect the parts and how they fit together . I will be putting it back together too. No one cares more about your car than you do.
Amen!

Bullitt1448

Established Member
do you have any broken/missing plastic clips that hold the trim pieces over the doors? If you do, they don’t list them as available for 1999-04 but they do stock them for the previous gen and they are exactly the same

Last edited:

tombo9876

Established Member
do you have any broken/missing plastic clips that hold the trim pieces over the doors? If you do, they don’t list them as available for 1999-04 but they do stock them for the previous gen and they are exactly the same

Are you talking about the exterior sail panel and a pillar? If so, mine were all held down with screws/nuts, no plastic clips. All of the interior panel clips stayed intact thankfully.

I checked out your build - wow. Lot of work there! Looks awesome! What did you use when re-applying rubber seals to the various trim pieces? Just whatever fit the best?

Last edited:

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Are you talking about the exterior sail panel and a pillar? If so, mine were all held down with screws/nuts, no plastic clips. All of the interior panel clips stayed intact thankfully.

I checked out your build - wow. Lot of work there! Looks awesome! What did you use when re-applying rubber seals to the various trim pieces? Just whatever fit the best?
Thanks, i did the complete colour change so probably had to take apart more than you do, I did have the body guy take off and reinstall the doors and front fenders mostly because it had to get towed to the body shop and back. I did remove the front fenders before it went to him just to have a look for any damage/rust before it left and I put them on just before it left. I have some new and some original rubber bits most of it is tagged and bagged still
IMG_4294.jpeg

tombo9876

Established Member
Quick update pic. All original body panels on the car, just some minor work was done to the left fender and door at some point before I got it. I kind of figured as much as I noticed a replacement inner fender liner on drivers side years ago. Otherwise no surprises.

Attachments

• IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 87

wckdvnm

Established Member
I will need mine painted in the near future. Just cannot find anyone who won’t charge 9k to start.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Redfire is underrated, imo. I was never that big on red but when I went to check out an 03 in Redfire for shits and giggles, I had to have it and left with it. In for finished photos.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That hood looks spectacular. I love Redfire, or any color close to it, versus a bright straight red.

Users who are viewing this thread