RippinSVT's 96-98 Cobra Track Tips for Newbies... (sticky please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I had them forged in the fires of hell. Custom made by Lucifer himself.

Ebay.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Excuse me if I'm wrong but is there not some etiquette for who gets to turn off first at the end of the track? I remember reading something about that somewhere but it's been so long now I've forgotten what it said. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I don't know...

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Tabres said:
Excuse me if I'm wrong but is there not some etiquette for who gets to turn off first at the end of the track?

usually the car in the lane closest to the turn-off gets first dibs. NEVER turn off in front of a car while they are still going down the track. There was a wreck last year at HRP and a kid totalled his Lightning when he did this. WAIT for the person to turn off or if the track has a second turn off drive down to that but make sure it's clear.

98svt13.59

Established Member
So what kinda times are people gettin with their stock or n/a 96-98 cobras?? JUs wondering

JSPajak

Established Member
My 98 Cobra convertible ran a best of 14.06 at 99.7 MPH with a 2000 RPM launch just slipping the clutch a little. Street radial tires and no burnout. I did an extremely fast granny shift of each gear at 6500. With the stock 3.27 rear axle it goes through the traps near the top of 3rd gear. A 3000 launch netted 14.50. Dropping the clutch and spinning the tires (oops) netted a 14.80. My car is all stock with the exception of a K&N filter element in the stock housing.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
98svt13.59 said:
So what kinda times are people gettin with their stock or n/a 96-98 cobras?? just wondering
when my cobra was stock, best i pulled was a 14.22@98 with a 2.2 60ft. damn bald ass kumho's but considering it was my 1st time....

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I wanted to add one thing too...

Before you go to the track, always PRACTICE launching on the street. Try different techniques and find the one that is the best medium between bogging and spinning.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
RippinSVT said:
I wanted to add one thing too...

Before you go to the track, always PRACTICE launching on the street. Try different techniques and find the one that is the best medium between bogging and spinning.

I have an MMFF video from like 10 years ago that says the same thing... "leave the line as if you are leaving a stop sign. You don't want to spin the tires, spinning the tires hurts elapsed times"- Gene Deputy

I still have pitiful 1.8 60' times but we're working on it!!

CobraStyle97

Established Member
i ve tried to get the "Hookers" in the trunk...but the leggs stick out and the cops pull me over all the time..lol...good write up..

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
CobraStyle97 said:
i ve tried to get the "Hookers" in the trunk...but the leggs stick out and the cops pull me over all the time..lol...good write up..

not if you saw them up.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
i thought id ask for shits and giggles i have 315 DR's would i drive thru the waterbox and do a burnout in it? or go around then back up?

msm808

97' Slobra
Established Member
95KBGT said:
i thought id ask for shits and giggles i have 315 DR's would i drive thru the waterbox and do a burnout in it? or go around then back up?

Drive thru, back thru, pull up and burn those bad boys

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i've noticed on my car that on the motor on 26" tires i'm right at the top of third going through the 1/8th. I've noticed that i can pick up mph and ET riding the rev limiter the last 60' or so through the lights rather than shifting to fourth.

Also, taking the wing off is 1-1.5 proven MPH

SEAN22K

Established Member
Now I want to go to the track!........OH what do you recommend on the gas tank? Obviously not a full tank. But could you bring a Jug with you

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
I usually run 1/4 tank if I'm gonna be N/A, maybe a little less than half on the bottle.

SVTPower97

she's broken :(
Established Member
i have head pretty good luck doing a lil burn out and side stepping the clutch at about 2200....that was with 3.73 most of the time with 275 street tires....never had much luck slippin the clutch i always end up havin to find a ride home...nice write up though...i don't ever go to the track anymore without my nitto nt555rs :)

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Ive been having some problems with traction, i spin in 1st, a couple seconds in 2nd, and a chirp in 3rd. My 2nd time a the strip i ran a
R/T... .128
60ft... 2.378
330... 6.073
1/8... 9.174
MPH... 79.98
1000... 11.875
1/4... 14.141
MPH... 101.97

Next time i go out im going to use this information, I cant even belive whats going to happen when i use nitrous. Need some better tires i guess.

Last edited:

Venom351R

Established Member
bmxr152 said:
Ive been having some problems with traction, i spin in 1st, a couple seconds in 2nd, and a chirp in 3rd. My 2nd time a the strip i ran a
R/T... .128
60ft... 2.378
330... 6.073
1/8... 9.174
MPH... 79.98
1000... 11.875
1/4... 14.141
MPH... 101.97

Next time i go out im going to use this information, I cant even belive whats going to happen when i use nitrous. Need some better tires i guess.

Tires would help alot. Dont expect much better then a 2.2 60' on street tires unless your a great driver and dealing with a really sticky track. Nittos will help if the track is decent and once you get better at driving it you can see 1.8' and 1.9's. I prever MT ET Streets or BFG DR's but unless you have a built up rear end your prob going to snap those 28 spline axles on DR's that are as sticky as those if you drop the hammer at any high RPM off the line.

msm808

97' Slobra
Established Member
Tires would help alot. Dont expect much better then a 2.2 60' on street tires unless your a great driver and dealing with a really sticky track. Nittos will help if the track is decent and once you get better at driving it you can see 1.8' and 1.9's. I prever MT ET Streets or BFG DR's but unless you have a built up rear end your prob going to snap those 28 spline axles on DR's that are as sticky as those if you drop the hammer at any high RPM off the line.

My best friend (mach 1) runs 1.6x 60' on 315 nitto DR's every weekend with his DD. Never look down on nitto DR's, if you burn them enough they WILL perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread