Road race guys

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
great thread... TTT

Question: Best way to bleed brakes for a home light mechanic with limited tools? Should I even try at home or just go to local Tire/Wheel shop?

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
go to a local shop if your not confident in your brakes or have someone who is good show you. it's not difficult, but is easier with 2 people. do a search on a how to.

I plan to open track my 03 to see what it has my 99 didn't. I did a few events with my 99 and have done several tracking events, they are quite eye opening.

if you want to know how to do things....research research research. pay attention to driving lines. they really make a big difference. DO NOT brake while cornering. brake before, or your chassis is not set for the corner and you'll have problems holding it to the track. R compounds are not for beginners definitly. I will be putting several modifications on my cobra before open tracking it. I'm ordering a kit from MM soon. will be getting a full C/O kit as well as XL full length subframe connectors (they make a big difference in my opinion) definitly invest in an aftermarket temp gauge. they are a necessity. extra oil as said above will make a difference. also....if your cobra has some miles on it....it's a good idea to go ahead and go through both cooling systems, put some royal purple water wetter in there with it. it does help. cut material from the stock hood blanket to let the hot air actually escape through the openings. this will help cooling wise. run richer if you have a tuner....less timing definitly. if you are running pullied and have a boost gauge (stock is ok...but if your pullied, there are better) easy on the pedal. I encourage getting an aftermarket HE, a short throw shifter is a little funner to drive. I have an MGW. these cars are very capable. make special note that you have some decent tread on your tires, I know your not dumb....but driving your car to it's limits if you can will hit your tires good. brake pads are a must. never EVER go on a track being low on pads.....I have cross drilled and slotted rotors as well as factory rotors. I will keep the factory rotors and another set of pads with me just in case something happens on the track......biggest thing is to be safe, and if your not comfortable....slow down....don't push it to show off your first time out....be safe. not only for yourself, but for the other drivers out there. no one likes an out of control driver running with them as you put them at risk also.

good luck, and let us know when your hooked.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Full length subframes connectors welded in and brake cooling ducts would be my first steps.Along with track pads and hi temp brake fluid.
track time
Next might be caster camber plates to get more aggressive alignment.
track time
Then I would eliminate all the rubber bushings in the suspension front and rear to decrease deflection
track time
next I would lower the car and reduce body roll and brake dive.Best solution would be coil-overs all around but also most expensive option
track time
Now you should be looking for better braking ala 4 piston brembos and faster turn in with the alum. rack bushings
track time
this is about where I am now after 4 years and 12 track events
This year I added a Torsen T2R differential for better traction off the corners.I'm still not sure if I'm ready to go to R compound tires.
I use the odometer function for a temp guage and I change the diff fluid every year
above all be patient, listen to your instructors and DON'T RACE. Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread