Running HOT! Intercooler blocking radiator??

SpittingCobra

Established Member
So my Procharger sheetmetal 3-core is HUGE. It is probably over 2ft tall.. the tanks on top and bottom seem to block the entire radiator, especially where the air can get to it.

Should it be mounted tight to the rad? That's how procharger's brackets seem to make it mount. I fiddled with it to try and make some space between the two and added the air dam back on but it seems to have done nothing.

Any ideas? Smaller intercooler possibly??

I will be adding a bigger rad in the future but I was hoping to run this on a road course and I'm sure it will still be an issue even with a big rad at that point. Boxing in the rad isn't even possible now with the intercooler where it's at..

01yellercobra

Established Member
Has it been running hot since you did the install? If so are you sure you got all the air out after swapping the coolant crossover? I have the 3 core intercooler and I haven't had any issues with the stock radiator.

Adiabatik

Banned
Should it be mounted tight to the rad? That's how procharger's brackets seem to make it mount. I fiddled with it to try and make some space between the two and added the air dam back on but it seems to have done nothing

Wait, are you telling us that you mounted the intercooler directly on top of the radiator?????

Can you provide pics?

Last edited:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Wait, are you telling us that you mounted the intercooler directly on top of the radiator?????

Can you provide pics?

I mean yeah basically I guess.. That's the only space for it and the way the instructions from procharger said to mount it with their little straps. It's waaayyyy bigger than what originally comes in their kit. I'm just considering that maybe I didn't account for that. I upgraded thinking it would drop the IAT temps and make it run safer.. alot of good that did.. :bored:

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Has it been running hot since you did the install? If so are you sure you got all the air out after swapping the coolant crossover? I have the 3 core intercooler and I haven't had any issues with the stock radiator.

It seemed to progressively get worse.. along with other conditions, i.e. massive blowby. 7 and 8 pistons ended up having broken ringlands when I tore it down. Radiator was caked with oil blowby coming from open bypass. So I pressure washed and degreased the radiator when I put the new engine in.

Damn thing runs just as hot now.

Went through the burp procedure many times.

Adiabatik

Banned
I mean yeah basically I guess.. That's the only space for it and the way the instructions from procharger said to mount it with their little straps. It's waaayyyy bigger than what originally comes in their kit. I'm just considering that maybe I didn't account for that. I upgraded thinking it would drop the IAT temps and make it run safer.. alot of good that did.. :bored:

O...M...G

Please provide pics!

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
not saying I don't believe you, but unless you put the radiator in front of the front support there's no way that you have the IC mated with the radiator. Do you still have the AC inbetween the rad and IC as well? Do you have the lower plastic baffling in place- it helps alot with create negative pressure to pull air up into the rad. please post pics

SpittingCobra

Established Member
not saying I don't believe you, but unless you put the radiator in front of the front support there's no way that you have the IC mated with the radiator. Do you still have the AC inbetween the rad and IC as well? Do you have the lower plastic baffling in place- it helps alot with create negative pressure to pull air up into the rad. please post pics

Not sure if I follow you completely. Car still has A/C so yes I believe that would be the condenser there. So I suppose it would actually be tight to the condenser, which is then tight to the radiator, right??

It's taking up all the space between the the condenser and the bumper.

I have the little air dam installed yes.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
O...M...G

Please provide pics!

Thanks for your patience. I feel the same way when people go w/o the pics. Unfortunately my digital camera may have been stolen. Can't find it anywhere..

So I apologize for the crap cellphone pix and lack of flash. :nonono:

downsize1_zpsb81d6f69.jpg

9d67005c-5e9e-4830-8b79-b5d49615674f_zpsc5c4e052.jpg

0703131254_zps91c8c338.jpg

Adiabatik

Banned
Wow dude I don't know where to start. You don't mount intercoolers directly in front of the radiator. Heat exchangers, yes. Intercoolers, NO! They go BELOW the radiator.

au-kit-mustang-ps-car-2.jpg

m5lp_0602_04_z+2003_ford_mustang_cobra+intercooler.jpg

images

procharged 99

Established Member
If you read your Procharger instructions they want you to take out the thermostat and put a Coolant bypass plug in. It seems to me that some run fine with t sat but Others dont.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Here's a couple pics of mine, no issues whatsoever with overheating here in South Florida.As you can see I removed the factory bumper support/foam for a Chromoly Donathen piece. What stat are you running and what are your fan on/ off temps set to?
svtcobra400.jpg

svtcobra394.jpg

photo0017lo.jpg

photo0016i.jpg

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Wow dude I don't know where to start. You don't mount intercoolers directly in front of the radiator. Heat exchangers, yes. Intercoolers, NO! They go BELOW the radiator.

m5lp_0602_04_z+2003_ford_mustang_cobra+intercooler.jpg

Interesting as this is how procharger's mounting straps are set up and they have a relocation bracket for the power steering cooler to make room to put it where it's at....

What is this business about "BELOW the radiator." ??

Mine is mounted exactly as shown. Mine is way taller my friend. Procharger has the tanks top and bottom and they are about 8in tall. What you pictured are horizontal cores like turbos use. The only vertical core you show has puny endtanks as it's turbo as well. Not very representative of what procharger makes. That's what you're seeing. Mine is hanging lower than the radiator.

Mine is mount EXACTLY the same as the picture here that I've quoted from YOUR post.

This is the one I have:

DSC_4086.jpg

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
OP are the fins of the IC exposed squarely with the lower opening of the bumper? if not, you'll want to move it. regardless of how procharger says to install it, it seems as though you need to fab the mounting differently.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
OP are the fins of the IC exposed squarely with the lower opening of the bumper? if not, you'll want to move it. regardless of how procharger says to install it, it seems as though you need to fab the mounting differently.

No the lower tank basically blocks that. Which cooler are you running?? Any pictures??

It appears if I lower it that far it might scrape on the ground.. also that lower tank would then be lower than the air dam/scoop thing for the radiator. Shoot

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Here's a couple pics of mine, no issues whatsoever with overheating here in South Florida.As you can see I removed the factory bumper support/foam for a Chromoly Donathen piece. What stat are you running and what are your fan on/ off temps set to?
svtcobra400.jpg

svtcobra394.jpg

photo0017lo.jpg

photo0016i.jpg

Not sure ordered the Reishe Performance one though to try and solve this.

I'd have to ask the guy that tuned it. Would he have that in his computer or would he need to pull my chip?

Thanks

Adiabatik

Banned
Interesting as this is how procharger's mounting straps are set up and they have a relocation bracket for the power steering cooler to make room to put it where it's at....

What is this business about "BELOW the radiator." ??

Mine is mounted exactly as shown. Mine is way taller my friend. Procharger has the tanks top and bottom and they are about 8in tall. What you pictured are horizontal cores like turbos use. The only vertical core you show has puny endtanks as it's turbo as well. Not very representative of what procharger makes. That's what you're seeing. Mine is hanging lower than the radiator.

Mine is mount EXACTLY the same as the picture here that I've quoted from YOUR post

Maybe its just the pics but it looked like the IC was mounted directly in front of the radiator flush at the TOP. I also looked at the lower ducts on your bumper and did not see any intercooler, could just be camera angle. Anyway, you want it as LOW as possible. The bottom of the IC should align with the bottom-most portion of the bumper.

Try using a lower thermostat. It might help?

Adiabatik

Banned
svtcobra400.jpg

svtcobra394.jpg

photo0017lo.jpg

photo0016i.jpg

Is that a Mishimoto IC? Looks identical to mine.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
No the lower tank basically blocks that. Which cooler are you running?? Any pictures??

It appears if I lower it that far it might scrape on the ground.. also that lower tank would then be lower than the air dam/scoop thing for the radiator. Shoot

I'm using a procharger 3 core but not the sheetmetal one- it's the older version that does just as well as the new sheetmetal version. I didn't mount it the way procharger instructions say- I mounted it to be square with the opening in the bumper so it would get air.

Users who are viewing this thread