Safe # for stock internals

Mainn

Established Member
In most cases the range is roughly 700-750rwhp. Anything more than that and the level of risk increases quite rapidly. Of course, every car is different, where one could let go at 700rwhp and the next at 800rwhp. YMMV.

MattR

Established Member
This gets asked weekly it seems. From my 5 years on this forum safe is stock tune and boost, anytime you go aftermarket tune it's no longer safe. Some guys run for 60k with over 700 rwhp, others have popped their engines with less than 600 rwhp.

When I joined the forum 650 to 700 was called safe, now people seem to say 700 to 750. Roll the dice and good luck

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Watch the revs, especially the "no lift shift". The redline is low, but the stroke is long, so the pistons are moving fast @ 6200 rpms.

I would throw this out there, tell me where I'm going wrong. Most engine failures I've read about, are due to something OTHER than the engine parts failing, causing the engine to blow. For example: bad gas, bad injector, loose BAP connections, beating on it when it's hot, failing fuel pump, etc.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
This gets asked weekly it seems. From my 5 years on this forum safe is stock tune and boost, anytime you go aftermarket tune it's no longer safe. Some guys run for 60k with over 700 rwhp, others have popped their engines with less than 600 rwhp.

When I joined the forum 650 to 700 was called safe, now people seem to say 700 to 750. Roll the dice and good luck
With the knock sensors in the 10 or 11 and up cars it allowed a more aggressive tune that is safer that's probably why the "safe limit" was raised a bit. That being said high rpms and repeatedly bouncing off the limiter is bad news

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
With the knock sensors in the 10 or 11 and up cars it allowed a more aggressive tune that is safer that's probably why the "safe limit" was raised a bit. That being said high rpms and repeatedly bouncing off the limiter is bad news

Burnouts in first gear bouncing off the rev limiter :nonono: Just watch any burnout competition for examples of what not to do.

filthymcnasty

Established Member

^^^^^This!

nxhappy

Established Member
too many variables to give an exact answer. Even 600whp can pop a motor if you lean it out.

BUT .....750 whp is the general accepted number. Bottom line.....USE A GOOD TUNER.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Why exactly is popping the rev limiter an issue? Is it because of the higher RPM's the engine is reaching, or is it the shock load that the limiter is doing to the engine?

red gt500

Established Member
before i built my engine i was pushing 20 psi from kb3.6 820 rwhp on stock engine for 2 years
but the rev limit was 6200 rpm didn't have any problem i build my engine just to be over 900 hp safely
as long as you dont over rev it and use good fuel such as vp or shell and a (good tune) you are ok up to 750-800 rwhp

Users who are viewing this thread