San Diego owners with the VIBE?

tvguy

Hi all,

Just came back from a local San Diego dealer to fix the alignment, seat vibration and most importantly the 80mph vibe. Their immediate reaction to the vibe was the common "our techs can't drive the car that fast to check out your vibration problem". I knew that response was coming so I asked the service manager (he's the one that said the techs couldn't drive 80) if I could take him for a ride. He agreed. Well, I haven't heard anyone elses vibration problem but right at 80mph there's a whine. If I let off the gas, it goes away or if I slow down it goes away. But going 80mph with the pedal pushed, it's there. He heard it and immediately said it's nothing to worry about and they cannot fix it. It's just something these cars do. He also said if they replace the drive shaft, the vibe would be there, just probably at a different mph. In no way were they going to even try to fix it. Since this was the service manager, I didn't have much of an option. I'm wondering if anyone in San Diego has had success with the vibe fix and what dealer they went to? Like I said I've never heard anyone elses vibe, but mine has to be what everyone else is talking about. 80mph exactly there's a whine, kind of higher pitched. Quite distinct. Thanks if you have any dealer suggestions. Oh, it was Mossy Ford I went to. They were nice, I'm just shocked they wouldn't even bother with it.
pacotaco

REDRACERS

Established Member
DON'T BE SUPRISED BY THEM, I PICKED UP MY 03 AFTER THEY INSTALLED AND NEW MOTOR AND THE CAR CAR WAS MISSING LUG NUTS--THEY ACTED LIKE" NO BIG DEAL". SALES EXPERIENCE IS PLEASANT ENOUGH BUT SERVICE IS VERY LOST---TRY DREW FORD THE ARE THE BIG SVT GUYS IN SAN DIEGO.

TDS-03

Established Member
Well, I know for a fact that Mossy has at least some experience with this problem. Its been about a year now, but my car was in their shop for over a month, 2 driveshafts and a new rear end assembly later, I have no vibe. I've had the car "well over" 120 and have not seen a return of the condition at any speed or RPM.

On the other hand, your descriptions does not sound like the vibe issue I experienced. On mine, right at 80, there was a low vibe, you could feel it in the seat, it blurred the mirrors, and it made talking in the car difficult. It was not what I would call a high pitched whine. Wondering if you may have a different issue, or just transmission whine (or that noisy blower thingy).

If it helps, I was dealing directly with the service manager there also. Again, this was about a year ago, so may be a different guy at this point. It took a long time, but they did get things fixed.

tvguy

Thanks for the tip on Drew Ford. Actually the service manager mentioned your car, saying they had to replace an engine in one. I'm assuming they only had to do this once and it's your car he was talking about. He also said they haven't worked on too many 03 Cobras but early builds required new drive shafts for their vibe. Not sure what the difference is between those cars and mine, except my Jan 03 build date. He went into depth on their modifications policy too during the test drive. Seemed resonable to me. A stupid question here but are there "SVT" technicians who differ from regular technicians? Again thanks for the tip.
pacotaco

tvguy

Originally posted by TDS-03
Well, I know for a fact that Mossy has at least some experience with this problem. Its been about a year now, but my car was in their shop for over a month, 2 driveshafts and a new rear end assembly later, I have no vibe. I've had the car "well over" 120 and have not seen a return of the condition at any speed or RPM.

On the other hand, your descriptions does not sound like the vibe issue I experienced. On mine, right at 80, there was a low vibe, you could feel it in the seat, it blurred the mirrors, and it made talking in the car difficult. It was not what I would call a high pitched whine. Wondering if you may have a different issue, or just transmission whine (or that noisy blower thingy).

If it helps, I was dealing directly with the service manager there also. Again, this was about a year ago, so may be a different guy at this point. It took a long time, but they did get things fixed.

Yea, I wonder if my issue is different. I wouldn't say it's real high pitched, but for sure not low like your description. The seats don't vibrate from it either. (well the passenger seat always vibrates) But on cue it's there at 80mph. I wish I could ride in someone that has the same or give someone a ride in mine who's experienced it first hand. That's the only way I'll know. Oh, I'm pretty sure it's not that blower thingy. :) That whine I can more than live with24/7!!
pacotaco

TDS-03

Established Member
Originally posted by pacotaco
Thanks for the tip on Drew Ford. Actually the service manager mentioned your car, saying they had to replace an engine in one. I'm assuming they only had to do this once and it's your car he was talking about. He also said they haven't worked on too many 03 Cobras but early builds required new drive shafts for their vibe. Not sure what the difference is between those cars and mine, except my Jan 03 build date. He went into depth on their modifications policy too during the test drive. Seemed resonable to me. A stupid question here but are there "SVT" technicians who differ from regular technicians? Again thanks for the tip.
pacotaco

Just curious, what did he say Mossy's policy was on mods? I know I've had mine in after I did my CAI and catback, but was for a prob with the radio.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Hey, I've got the whine, almost a whirring noise. This is normal on some of these cars. However, if the noise it really loud you have a problem with the bushings and seals

The vibe is more of a low "subwoofer" type noise that reminds you of commuting on prop planes or a really old boat. Or better yet if you've sat in one of those vibrating recliners that is what reminds me most of the vibe.

Crusader

Established Member
I had my driveshaft replaced and there is still a vibration. Should I ask for the rear end assembly too? Mine vibrates at about 85 mph... but gets smooth again after 100. I want this resoved before the warrany expires. CRZ8R.

Originally posted by TDS-03

TDS-03

Established Member
Originally posted by Crusader
I had my driveshaft replaced and there is still a vibration. Should I ask for the rear end assembly too? Mine vibrates at about 85 mph... but gets smooth again after 100. I want this resoved before the warrany expires. CRZ8R.

I would make it clear that you will keep coming back untill they actually solve the problem.

I had a running joke at the time with my service advisor guy. They returned the car to me four separate times as "fixed and ready". Every time they handed me the keys I would say "If I go out there and its still not right, I'm turning right around and pulling back in line". And I did. Don't take their word for it, its not your fault, and you've paid good money for the car.

coolcobra

Established Member
pacotaco; I have an early 03 cobra with no vibration problem.and 15,000 miles.
I have started to get a rear end whine however. Have not taken it in for warranty service. It happens at all speeds when I give it gas.

I am located in North San Diego area, i.e. Encinitas Ca.

let me know if you want to ride in my car to see the difference
mike

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well I had the vibe whirling noise you talked about I could duplicate when I was indexing and weighting the DS. I could also get a low prop sound with right conditions

I called the SVT hot line they actually recommended I go to a Lincoln dealer for the vibe.

They don’t need to go 80mph they can use a EVA. this will help.

The reason why they say DS wont help is they get the new one only thing they do is line up the yellow dots rather than indexing from that point. The dots are starting point only. techs seem to put there arms up in the air after that.

The vibe can be got rid of.
If he doesn’t want to work on the car for the vibe don’t force them that means they don’t know what the heck there doing there parts swappers.

read this first
http://home.hiwaay.net/~ctfrench/Driveline Vibration.htm

then this
http://home.hiwaay.net/~ctfrench/procedure.htm

when I had showed my tech this stuff and all my notes from testing and my measurement, (put 60 miles on for testing) that’s with a 55mph right out of my shops drive way) tested it something like 50 combos and wrote down each result from weight adder and indexing

I know im not from CA but I thought I should tell you what happened to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread