Scary stuff this past week

SoonToBeASnake

Established Member
Talk about some crazy stuff this past couple of weeks. Started with a lousy speeding ticket where both my friend and I got written up for 85mph. My buddy has a Red Lancer Evo and very loud, cop must have heard one of us, pulled us both over on the exit we were getting off at. Then my good buddy GotGrunt and his girlfriend came into town this past week and the first night we hung out, we ran into a pretty scary situation. Driving back home after showing them around a couple of hangout spots in SoCal, my wheel all of a sudden comes off on the freeway! It looked like a really bad race or something, to add some humor, my own wheel probably put about 8-10 cars on me like it was nothing. I recently got some Hubcentric Wheel Spacers and car has been riding somewhat funny ever since, I thought it may have something to do with my rear springs since I'm not running ISO's in the back and the springs seemed out of place when I put the Spacers on, but I was wrong! It was the spacers this whole time. Somehow the car did not end up with any body damage whatsoever, did end up scuffing up my rotor and the left side of my exhaust a little bit and everyone was safe. Felt worse putting Gary and his girlfriend in danger then the car itself! Highway Patrol was able to recover my wheel and to my surprise it didn't get damaged at all either. Luckily no traffic or a lot of cars around. The nuts that bolt the spacer onto the hub backed out and shot my wheel off! What was wierd is I did tighten those nuts after a few drives and always checked my lugs to make sure they were on there good. Luckily we weren't driving fast. I learned my lesson and will never run wheel spacers again. Sorry for the novel :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

MuscleOwnzRice

Words that make me cool
Established Member
o wow, i would sh*t my pants! then i would cry from the potential damage to my car. Looks like you had a string of bad luck mixed with ALOT of good luck. Glad to hear no one was hurt!

SoonToBeASnake

Established Member
I think I did shat my pants :lol: At that point I did care less about potential damage, I was more concerned about my friends and possibly ruining their vacation, luckily everything turned out fine and the car is fine too!

sick03cobra

you made Terminator mad!
Established Member
i have 1" wheel spacers on the back of my car for the last 2 years...never had a problem with them. but i am gonna check my lug nuts tomorrow LOL

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Damn man, sorry to hear that! Glad you're ok; everything could have turned out MUCH worse than it did.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So did you just see your tire shoot off in front of you? That would have been really wierd to see. Glad you guys are ok though, there seems to be a lot of close calls going aorund this site.

WikedCobra

Established Member
Hey Rob,

Glad to hear your ok.

I'm surprised there wasn't any damage to the car. Have you checked the underside?

theraapster

Established Member
I almost had the same thing happen to me, I had my tires off while replacing the brake pads and finished up at about 4 a.m. I only hand tightened the last wheel i put on though, i forgot about actually tightening it up. Drove to Michigan and back that weekend and it wasn't until on the way back on just the other side of Cincinnati I realized something was wrong. I had lost two of my lug nuts and my wheel was shaking pretty bad. Luckily i caught it in time before anything serious actually happened, but did I feel like an idiot after that. I am still paranoid about tightening my lug nuts to this day.

Users who are viewing this thread