Selling Car via the internet-Anyone get ALL foreign buyers?

tvguy

For those that have your car for sale on the internet, have you also received TONS of emails and interest from foreign buyers? All hoping a "cashiers cheque" is OK and their "Shipping Agent" will of course take care of EVERYTHING and they don't want me worrying about anything?? Fricken crazy how they come out of the woodwork. Anyone ever sold to a foreign buyer? With so much email from Denmark, Italy and such, I assume it's a scam. But hey, the bank has the title, so it's their car. Wonder how they would deal with a foreign buyer and letting the check clear? Anyways, just wondering if others have had any responses like this? Thanks.
pacotaco

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
All the time. Its a scam, just delete the emails. Its not worth the time to play their game.

oldmodman

Established Member
I sold a car to a guy in Germany. But it was pre internet. In 1990 I had a Supercharged T-Bird in the F/S section of the LA Times and got a call from Germany. I sent the guy a few pictures and two weeks later I picked him up at LAX. He handed me the cash, I handed him the title and keys.
But I would never sell a car without the cash in my hand. Tell any interested buyers that they will have to transfer the money to an accout that you set up just for that purpose. And you don't release the car untill the bank lets you withdraw the funds as CASH! I repeat, CASH ONLY. Bank checks can be worthless, as can U.S.Postal money orders.

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
pacotaco said:
For those that have your car for sale on the internet, have you also received TONS of emails and interest from foreign buyers? All hoping a "cashiers cheque" is OK and their "Shipping Agent" will of course take care of EVERYTHING and they don't want me worrying about anything?? Fricken crazy how they come out of the woodwork. Anyone ever sold to a foreign buyer? With so much email from Denmark, Italy and such, I assume it's a scam. But hey, the bank has the title, so it's their car. Wonder how they would deal with a foreign buyer and letting the check clear? Anyways, just wondering if others have had any responses like this? Thanks.
pacotaco

The only useful method of payment for International transactions is either a wire transfer to a local escrow acct. or an Irrevokable Letter of Credit handled by your local bank.

Users who are viewing this thread