Shorty Headers worth it?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Personally I think it would sound bad ass. Before I installed my Magnaflow cat-back, I had the stock over the axles with Magnaflow 15594 muffler deletes. It was 'effing loud but it had a very exotic sound in the upper rpm range. Much different than with the stock headers. This was using an O/R x pipe.

to bad no one has that combo. but its 800 dollars cheaper to go that route instead of the full setup w/ LTs

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
In reading over the threads you linked to it appears that you are either comparing dynos from different cars or different days and different dynos.

You didn't do a before and after on the same day/dyno (the install is really long so that would be pretty hard) so how are you comparing these dyno pulls?

I want to understand how you are comparing and if it is apples-to-apples.

It is pretty hard to believe that you picked up 24hp by swapping out really good stock shorties for an aftermarket one. Unless I misread or misunderstand, the dynos you are comparing aren't really comparable and that explains the large hp differential.

I don't have either LTs or shorties, just curious about the comparison method.

wbt

Banned
In reading over the threads you linked to it appears that you are either comparing dynos from different cars or different days and different dynos.

You didn't do a before and after on the same day/dyno (the install is really long so that would be pretty hard) so how are you comparing these dyno pulls?

I want to understand how you are comparing and if it is apples-to-apples.

It is pretty hard to believe that you picked up 24hp by swapping out really good stock shorties for an aftermarket one. Unless I misread or misunderstand, the dynos you are comparing aren't really comparable and that explains the large hp differential.

I don't have either LTs or shorties, just curious about the comparison method.

You are right. The graph I posted is a comparison of my car and another on the same dyno.

Mods on other car were:
CAI
Tune
O/R X pipe

Mods on my car were:
CAI
Tune
O/R x pipe
BBK shorties

Both cars were running 3.73's and stock tires/wheels with MT-82 transmissions dynoed in 5th gear.

There were several cars with said mods (CAI, tune, O/R X) that dyno'd on the same day and I took the car with the highest numbers to compare to my run the previous month.

Outside air conditions for each run:

Stock Intake Shorties.002 - - Run Conditions: 87.61 °F, 28.99 in-Hg, SAE: 1.04
Run Type: RO Date: 2/21/2011 5:10:48 PM

Stock Intake Stock Shorties.001 - - Run Conditions: 87.56 °F, 29.16 in-Hg, SAE: 1.02
Run Type: RO Date: 3/12/2011 2:04:24 PM

As you can see it is about as apples-to-apples as it gets.

The data points to the gains with the BBK shorties. I have nothing to hide and am happy to answer any other questions you or others have.

Last edited:

jas11151990

Established Member
Shorties will be my next power mod for sure. Im hoping i will get to 440 whp with them or as close as i can.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The comparison is definitely interesting and seems to suggest there is power to be gained from shorties but the data you have can't conclusively suggest they are good for 24hp. All you really know is that your car made 24hp more on a different day with a different set of mods than a different car.

Do you know what your car was putting down prior to the shorties? What tunes were the other cars running? If you didn't dyno prior to shorties you don't know how your tune compares to theirs.

Too me the number one constant required for conclusive data when doing before/after comparisons for mods is that you are comparing the same vehicle. Next would probably be the same dyno and then same day. You've only got same dyno of those 3 desired constants.

I'd love to believe that for $300 I can pick up another 24hp over my current tune/or-h setup but I don't think your data suggests I can reasonably expect that.

It appears there are some gains to be had, just how much I believe is still unclear.

Anyway, not trying to call your test bullshit or piss in your cheerios so to speak, just my observations of your comparison method.

Do you have any 1/4 mile numbers prior to shorties?

grnenvy

Established Member
Shit even picking up 15hp for 300 bucks is worth it when u start running out of mods to do. Another plus is that your not creating any stress on the motor for that added pwr.
Sounds like it a nice mod.
BBK has always been a leader in shorty headers but they never made the most pwr.
Bassani's shorty header always made more then everyone else's. I'm wondering if they will be making anything.

thelastsumurai

Established Member
Headers

In the late 60 and early 70's When ever I got a different car the first thing I did was add long tube or short tube headers.. The second thing I had to do was start reading plugs and change the jetting of the carbs.. To compensate for the leaner mix... I know this car is a different animal but will the stock tune add enough fuel to compensate for a leaner mixture..Just asking..

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

Yes!

in the late 60 and early 70's when ever i got a different car the first thing i did was add long tube or short tube headers.. The second thing i had to do was start reading plugs and change the jetting of the carbs.. To compensate for the leaner mix... I know this car is a different animal but will the stock tune add enough fuel to compensate for a leaner mixture..just asking..

wbt

Banned
The comparison is definitely interesting and seems to suggest there is power to be gained from shorties but the data you have can't conclusively suggest they are good for 24hp. All you really know is that your car made 24hp more on a different day with a different set of mods than a different car.

Do you know what your car was putting down prior to the shorties? What tunes were the other cars running? If you didn't dyno prior to shorties you don't know how your tune compares to theirs.

Too me the number one constant required for conclusive data when doing before/after comparisons for mods is that you are comparing the same vehicle. Next would probably be the same dyno and then same day. You've only got same dyno of those 3 desired constants.

I'd love to believe that for $300 I can pick up another 24hp over my current tune/or-h setup but I don't think your data suggests I can reasonably expect that.

It appears there are some gains to be had, just how much I believe is still unclear.

Anyway, not trying to call your test bullshit or piss in your cheerios so to speak, just my observations of your comparison method.

Do you have any 1/4 mile numbers prior to shorties?

I am not going to get into a pissing match with you on this. The comparison and information was posted. There isn't much variation from one car to the next in this day and age. Fact of the matter is:

1. Weather conditions were almost identicle for each run.
2. Same dyno.
3. Same rear gear, transmission and wheels/tires.
4. Same mods minus the BBK shorties.

I don't recall the tune the owner was running however other cars with the same mods that day were within a few HP of each other. The difference in tunes is not going to
result in 24 more rwhp period. If this is what you want to believe then you are smoking crack. Any reputable tuner will tell you the same thing.

The before and after track times don't make for a valid comparison as the conditions were completely different and the amount of changes to the car were too vast. If you just want to know what those were:

Tune, cai, O/R X:
11.94@114
DA - 100'

Tune, boss intake, BBK shorties, cai, O/R X:
11.63@118
DA - 2,500'

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Tune, cai, O/R X:
11.94@114
DA - 100'

Tune, boss intake, BBK shorties, cai, O/R X:
11.63@118
DA - 2,500'

Those numbers right there mean more than comparing dynos from two different cars.

That is a big trap speed pickup with the intake and shorties especially considering the DA was much worse. :beer:

Wasn't trying to start a pissing match, just pointing out that comparing dynos of different cars isn't the best way to get a clear idea what a specific mod did. :shrug:

wbt

Banned
Those numbers right there mean more than comparing dynos from two different cars.

That is a big trap speed pickup with the intake and shorties especially considering the DA was much worse. :beer:

Wasn't trying to start a pissing match, just pointing out that comparing dynos of different cars isn't the best way to get a clear idea what a specific mod did. :shrug:

Understood and apologize if I came off too harsh. It is a discussion I had far too many times as you saw in those other threads. :beer:

If someone were paying me for my time and parts I would have been happy to have done those back to back comparisons. My personal/professional life just didn't allow that unfortunately.

Anywho, my 60' times for each of those runs was within .02 of each other. 1.70 vs. a 1.68.

If DA corrections are made to level out the air conditions, those gains were:

~.7 and 7MPH

I am now working on getting those 60' times in the mid-low 1.5's. :rockon:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Yeah, doing an immediate before/after on something with that kinda install time is pretty much impossible, which makes trap speeds your best indication.

With a 7mph improvement with the boss intake and shorties is really making me reconsider the boss intake...

What rpm do you run too, i'd rather not venture above 7,200 myself.

wbt

Banned
Yeah, doing an immediate before/after on something with that kinda install time is pretty much impossible, which makes trap speeds your best indication.

With a 7mph improvement with the boss intake and shorties is really making me reconsider the boss intake...

What rpm do you run too, i'd rather not venture above 7,200 myself.

For the Boss intake 6K launch and shift at 7500+ minimum. My rev limiter is set to 7700.

wbt

Banned
Stock GT heads?

Yes. Stock heads, cams and valvetrain. Valve covers have never been off the car.

Video of said passes:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDATLHJtzWY"]2011 Mustang GT 11 sec. - YouTube[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRwi-yaZFw"]2011 Mustang GT 11.63@118 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Shit even picking up 15hp for 300 bucks is worth it when u start running out of mods to do. Another plus is that your not creating any stress on the motor for that added pwr.
Sounds like it a nice mod.
BBK has always been a leader in shorty headers but they never made the most pwr.
Bassani's shorty header always made more then everyone else's. I'm wondering if they will be making anything.

agreed, i think suspension will be put on hold, maybe this and some LCA is all i need soon.

jas11151990

Established Member
Longtubes may be nice to have but for a few more ponies its not worth it to me.....I dont know about everyone else but my finances sure can not justify buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread