Should I buy boss 302 manifold??

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
What numbers did you pull on the ported boss? I always hear torque loss but ET and street runs say other. It seems that you can get a used boss have it ported and run the same if not better than a CJ or gt350 for less.

Just saw this. I didn't have it dyno'd. More into getting the tune straight and what it runs at the track. I do know that when I put my stocker back on, which the runners have been cleaned up and inlet fins removed, I really couldn't tell a low end difference. But after 5500rpms I definitely felt a difference. Felt really weak on the top end and def putting it back on now since I have longtubes.

momogt

Established Member
I had a chance to see some dyno graphs from my tuner and cars that he tuned with boss intake and the boss vs stock there was no loss in torque on the low end but top up a good difference in power these were both A6 and MT- 82 cars

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
I had a chance to see some dyno graphs from my tuner and cars that he tuned with boss intake and the boss vs stock there was no loss in torque on the low end but top up a good difference in power these were both A6 and MT- 82 cars

Yea we noticed 0 low end tq loss. The car has never been on the dyno though. Reading around before we bought it, we were expecting this huge loss and huge gains up to. We noticed 0 loss and at about 4,000-4,500 rpm you can feel the IM doing its work all the way to 8,000.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I've seen some with a loss but minimal. Usually 0-20 ftlbs. It's in the tune. Most of the "huge low end loss" came from years ago when the boss im came out. They would slap it on with no tune revision and see the big loss. Or when tuners were new to tuning it.
I drove it today after the tune revision and couldn't tell a difference on the low end.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Whitetri have you been to the track yet? I'm deciding between a gt350 or ported boss for cheaper.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Boost would come later for me. Goal I want to hit is 10's NA then when it comes time for boost I will be set-up for it suspension and everything.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Comparing apples to oranges now. I'm pretty sure if most of us had $6K and more to blow on our car, we would just buy a blower.

Could I spend that on my car? Definitely. Do I want to...no. Just hard to sink that much into my car and then what? It'll eventually feel slow and then turn up the boost. Turn up the boost you better buy a stout short block. I know these blocks can take power but I've seen a few bad stories on low boost too.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Comparing apples to oranges now. I'm pretty sure if most of us had $6K and more to blow on our car, we would just buy a blower.

Could I spend that on my car? Definitely. Do I want to...no. Just hard to sink that much into my car and then what? It'll eventually feel slow and then turn up the boost. Turn up the boost you better buy a stout short block. I know these blocks can take power but I've seen a few bad stories on low boost too.
+1 My thoughts exactly. Are you safe with a blower with bolt ons? Most are, some aren't. With our luck we would blow up the first month then that $7,000 turns into $15-17,000. Were good with bolt on for know. Really thinking about doing heads and cams. Should be around 540rwhp and still be reliable.

slofoshow

Established Member
+1 My thoughts exactly. Are you safe with a blower with bolt ons? Most are, some aren't. With our luck we would blow up the first month then that $7,000 turns into $15-17,000. Were good with bolt on for know. Really thinking about doing heads and cams. Should be around 540rwhp and still be reliable.

What heads and cams will make 540rwhp? That seems a bit generous given the other heads and cam addition threads on this site for the yote.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
What heads and cams will make 540rwhp? That seems a bit generous given the other heads and cam addition threads on this site for the yote.

I would be going with custom grinds and either TEA heads or MMR stage 3 heads. Heads alone should be 40hp and cams are about 35-40 themselves. I was talking with my tuner and he said we should be about that with the heads, cams, port the IM, and a bigger tb. I don't think anybody on this forum has done different heads(other than boss) and custom grind cams, except ford20 who did the 326. If so I haven't seen the build tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread