should I mod my car?

99chitownsgt

student-always learning
Established Member
I have a 99 GT with roughly a 130K miles. I was thinking about putting $10-$12K in it. New drivetrain and new paint and bodywork. I have some friends that say I should just buy something that's already built and nicer. But I have had this car along time and would like to make it a project car. The mileage in my opinion don't mean too much being that I would be replacing the majority of the drivetrain and suspension components.

Let me know what you guys think.:shrug:

01dhgbullitt

Established Member
I have a 99 GT with roughly a 130K miles. I was thinking about putting $10-$12K in it. New drivetrain and new paint and bodywork. I have some friends that say I should just buy something that's already built and nicer. But I have had this car along time and would like to make it a project car. The mileage in my opinion don't mean too much being that I would be replacing the majority of the drivetrain and suspension components.

Let me know what you guys think.:shrug:

honestly thats not that too much miles to start modding but if i were you id sell it and get something niceer and mod that just like your friends said, or get an lsx and do h/c/i

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
If you were gonna get something different would you be looking for a 99-04 or newer? Maybe older? If not, then I would keep your car 12K in your drive train would make it a new car.

99chitownsgt

student-always learning
Established Member
idk i guess it would be cheaper to just buy a mach or something. I just ran the number's on drivetrain and appearance and its more than I thought I could do it for. I'll keep pondering...

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Yea with that kind of money you're wanting to spend on it. I'd sell it and take the money you wanted to mod with and the money you sold the car with a buy a better car to start with.

Or hell for 10-12k you can get one hell of a nice car out of a fox body and you could just keep your GT as a daily driver.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
Yea with that kind of money you're wanting to spend on it. I'd sell it and take the money you wanted to mod with and the money you sold the car with a buy a better car to start with.

Or hell for 10-12k you can get one hell of a nice car out of a fox body and you could just keep your GT as a daily driver.

this

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Just keep the original parts if you're going to do it. You won't make anything back of the modded 2v as cheap as these cars go for. When it comes time to sell, switch it all back to stock and make some cash selling all the aftermarket crap on eBay or forum classifieds.

eddyroxx

Established Member
im building up my gt with parts that i can swap later, when i get enough money to buy a high milege mach, i can swap parts over. you can have a built shortblock with a vortech or procharger on the 2v gt then later swap the shortblock into the 4v and buy a different bracket and you have a supercharged 4v

dodgeshadowchik

Established Member
Well, it sounds like you have an attachment to the car. If you plan on keeping it forever, then I say dropping the money in it is not a bad idea. The problem is if you want to sell it you will never get that money back. Or do what mustangsteve said and keep all the stock stuff for when you do want to sell it.

Birdman71

Established Member

I would do this also,Find a foxbody coupe already done and keep your other ride too.10-12k would get you a nice/quick ride!

02steedakbgt

Established Member
Modding is fun. But is a PITA sometimes. I would get a 03-04 cobra and put a cat-back exhaust on it "just for sound" and be happy, or if money permits a shelby cobra.I've spent countless hours,blood,sweat,beers and 6k on a blower, 13k plus everything else to date on this new motor and If I could take it back to stock... I WOULD, hell I would be driving it right now. one more rule of thumb, don't get someone else's "modded, project car", why cause you'll get the head-aches with it.

Users who are viewing this thread