Sonic Blue Cobra and paint work.

SonicSVT21

Has anyone had experience with getting Sonic Blue paint blended and it be unnoticeable? I have a couple scratches on the fender & bumper and a paint chip on the hood so basically the entire front cap will be blended and cleared. I had also contemplated painting more to fix some other small scuffs. I have never needed any auto paint work before, so I am also trying to see if getting items like this fixed will recoup some of the cost if decided to sell? Thanks for any info.

LS WUT

Established Member
@svt703 his family painted a black cobra sonic blue. They’ve been in the business for like 40 years. He can give you better answers I’d imagine. Check out his for sale thread for photos.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Any decent body shop should be able to do that for you, I have been amazed at some of the work I have seen done over the years. New technology and techniques make for some great results. Don’t expect it to be cheap though.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Find some local hot rodders. They should know who the good shops are. A paint shop was able to blend the Mystichrome on my car so I'd imagine it's possible with Sonic Blue.

IllCobra

Established Member
I second looking around your area for good paint shop.
One of the last things I want to do to my Cobra is have it repainted the original color. And I heard somewhere that there is a guy in Tampa that is the 2nd best body repair and paint shop in the country - I think #1 is out in Cali. Not sure who or how they are ranked by, but some guy on YT got in an minor accident and took his blue BRZ to this guy and the paint job came out great.

SonicSVT21

Thanks everyone for the responses. I have gotten prices to fix the bad spots and respect the whole car the original color. What’s the opinion on a cars value after painting? I don’t expect to spend say 6k and recoup all my money I would think that fixing paint issues makes the car an easier sell at a higher value.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I would think that fixing paint issues makes the car an easier sell at a higher value.

This depends on the car.

If you take a 65 Mustang and fix the paint issues it can make the car easier to sell and at higher values.

However, if you take an 03 Cobra and "fix" paint issues it could cause the car to become more difficult to sell and at lower prices. Why? Because the buyer may think you are trying to hide something.

Carfax reports and any threads you have documenting the procedure and why it was done can go a long way in helping your sale and asking price.

Good luck on your endeavor........

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have gotten prices to fix the bad spots and respect the whole car the original color. What’s the opinion on a cars value after painting? I don’t expect to spend say 6k and recoup all my money I would think that fixing paint issues makes the car an easier sell at a higher value.
First thing I’d do is photo document the car as it is now. That way a future buyer will know the car wasn’t wrecked/repainted.
Second, decide if you want a run of the mill respray or… go the extra mile.
By that, I mean removing all possible trim, bumper covers etc to avoid tape lines.
More hours in prep before paint would make it way better than the factory job was.
Block sanding the entire car, cutting below the factory/robot orange peel will make the new paint look great. Photo document this process also.
You’re at a turning point now. An average looking finish or a show quality finish.
All it takes for the latter is more time/work in prep.
If I was a buyer I’d rather pay up for a car done correctly vs an average scuff/repaint.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For me if the paint/repairs were done properly it wouldn't bother me. But then I seem to be a little less picky than most. As mentioned, document everything and be upfront should you ever decide to sell.

LS WUT

Established Member
I agree completely here. I’m in the market for a Sonic Blue cobra. If one had some sun fade, or even rock chips and the car was painted professionally, and done right. I wouldn’t mind it. I documented the process for the paint job done for my rear decklid, and rear bumper on my black cobra when it got damaged for full transparency and disclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread