speeding ticket

CLOCKWO12K

Custom User Title
Established Member
hey guys, going to spare you the story(no race or anything involved, just going too fast) and say that i got a ticket (lidar) for going 69 in a 30 today.

first ticket (or anything for that matter) that requires me to appear in court.

just wanted some basic advice on what to expect as far as the punishment for the ticket, and what i should do to prepare for the court date, as far as getting a lawyer, taking driving classes etc. goes.

thanks.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
hey guys, going to spare you the story(no race or anything involved, just going too fast) and say that i got a ticket (lidar) for going 69 in a 30 today.

just wanted some basic advice on what to expect as far as the punishment for the ticket, and what i should do to prepare for the court date, as far as getting a lawyer, taking driving classes etc. goes.

thanks.

20 over in a 30MPH zone is reckless .. you will want to consult an attorney well before your court date

The following is NOT a recommendation of this individual lawyer I don't know him from Adam (no pun intended lol). the link DOES contain a very good and accurate description in plain english of what you are facing: http://www.brianjgrossman.com/faq_recklessbyspeed.htm

Last edited:

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
I am in the same boat as you. Mine was only 34 over but still enough to make a judge flip out. I hired an attorney but honestly I doubt any lawyer in this state can get something reduced thats 30+ over the speed limit. Maybe you and I can get lucky but I doubt it. Like you I have a clean record and never had a criminal charge. My lawyer shuggested to take a driver course, get my car calibrated (to see if my speedo was off), do some community service, and obtain a copy of my dmv records. He says this stuff will be the fall back plan if the charge isn't reduced and the judge has to impose sentancing on the reckless charge. That stuff he told me to do should keep me out of jail but unsure of a license suspension and a big big fine. I dunno man, like you I am pretty worried about my case. I am not rationalizing my speeding but I dont feel like any type of 1time offense speeders should be treated as criminals. When I got my 2001 gt back in the day my fairfax county cop uncle took it out and did 90 on a few back roads and laughed about it. I/we get caught doing it it's cruicifixtion. Just how it works. I would surly pay the max 2,500 fine to wipe my whole record of this charge and be on my way.

Last edited:

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
November 10th

The officer didn't arrest you on the spot for doing 40mph over?
Well anyway goodluck and let me know if you have any other questions. I certainly have done a ton of research into this matter and can't stop worrying about it due to a criminal charge affecting my Air Force career and clearence. First time offense shouldn't really do any damage but there are always those unknown variables you know. Like say I apply to a certain aparment complex and I put a convicted criminal, they could deny me. Or when I fill out my commissioning package to become an officer this "criminal charge" may hurt my chances. Stuff like that is all I am concerned with, hell they money to me at this point is the least of my worries.
A reckless driving charge in this state is considered a class I misdeameanor criminal charge which is the same category as a DUI. So that sounds pretty bad as well. I dunno man, I hope you and I can both get out of this. I definatly wont be speeding anytime soon. I can't gurantee I wont ever speed again but the temptation to get on the Cobra is like putting a naked girl in front you. I mean its going to happen one way or another. At least thats how I see it. Most of the time you are going to get away with speeding/racing but one of the times your bound to get caught. Of course the laws and judges dont take to kindly those kinds of things so its almost a matter of even keeping the sports car after you get caught.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
When I got my 2001 gt back in the day my fairfax county cop uncle took it out and did 90 on a few back roads and laughed about it. I/we get caught doing it it's cruicifixtion. Just how it works. I would surly pay the max 2,500 fine to wipe my whole record of this charge and be on my way.

Did he get caught? If so, did he identify himself and get let go? If not, then you don't know what the outcome would have been. Do you lose your career for such a ticket? L.E.O.s can. That is cruicification. There are plenty of officers here that have written other officers for egregious violations of the law, as is this.

2001gunmetalgt

Established Member
^ No he didn't get caught...his intentions were to get caught so he could play a joke on the officer who pulled him over. His words were something like this "Is that thing a manual?" , me "Yes", "Lets go". We get in my GT and he says "Lets go drive past some of my cop buddies really fast and play a joke because they wont know its me". So he was driving my GT around wanting to have one of his fellow cop friends pull him over so he could laugh and they'd be like, hahaah john what you doing in that thang. There was abosolutly no way any of his cop friends were going to take this matter seriously since he was all of their friends.

Last edited:

CLOCKWO12K

Custom User Title
Established Member
i see, well my court date is on november 6th, so i'll post up and let you know what the outcome was so you have a better idea of what to expect.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was doing 80 over, and got off with a wreckless driving ticket...
Cops here really don't care, or even bother half the time.

and to what purpose is this post? padding your post count? or to show what a man you are ?

Just curious don'tcha know

VNMOUS1

Established Member

thanks.

Welcome to the land of really high insurance premiums. Regardless of the court outcome, unless they plea it down to an equipment infraction your insurance company could have a field day with this one....particularly in VA.

Sorry to hear about it.

bj

Users who are viewing this thread