Squeaky brake at 2500 miles?

jg0001

Established Member
My car, picked up new in August 2011, has developed a slight to worsening squeak any time I come to a stop on even just a slight downhill road. It only has 2500 miles on it. I've never driven it harshly. It reminds me of the sound of metal on metal like a brake wearing out, but how can that be at only 2500 miles on the odometer? The weather hasn't even been bad yet. Temp wise, we've had very few days under 40 F.

FWIW, it had its first oil change around 1800 miles when I had it in to get all season tires put on (at the dealership where I bought it). That was the only time it had the wheels off.

Thoughts? I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I bring it in to the dealer and spend hours waiting while they look at it.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
My car, picked up new in August 2011, has developed a slight to worsening squeak any time I come to a stop on even just a slight downhill road. It only has 2500 miles on it. I've never driven it harshly. It reminds me of the sound of metal on metal like a brake wearing out, but how can that be at only 2500 miles on the odometer? The weather hasn't even been bad yet. Temp wise, we've had very few days under 40 F.

FWIW, it had its first oil change around 1800 miles when I had it in to get all season tires put on (at the dealership where I bought it). That was the only time it had the wheels off.

Thoughts? I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I bring it in to the dealer and spend hours waiting while they look at it.

I have always been told that the stock pads are notorious for squeak and dust. My Shelby is no different. I am planning on installing ceramic pads in the near future.

mus99gt

Established Member
Did they put the wheels back on with an impact wrench? I know on Corvette's they slightly warped the rotors when they did it Just made it rub.

My 2012 Shelby has over 4200 on it bought in Aug. aslo. Driven medium hard but no squeals.

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
I drive mine hard and my fronts squeak just before the car stops. It is a little annoying but I plan to put different pads on soon to see if this helps.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Semi metallic pads squeak, it's the nature of the beast.

The other members know what they are talking about. Get some Ceramic pads. Your problematic squeak will go away, and dusting will reduce significantly.

jg0001

Established Member
Good info... thanks all.

I'll live with it for now, but when the time comes for replacements, I'll definitely go ceramic.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Did they put the wheels back on with an impact wrench? I know on Corvette's they slightly warped the rotors when they did it Just made it rub.

My 2012 Shelby has over 4200 on it bought in Aug. aslo. Driven medium hard but no squeals.

Torqued my wheels to the 100 ft/lbs requirement in the Shelby addendum and I had no wheel squeak today. Results are promising.

tlrdynes

TSgt
Established Member
I had a very similar experience. You didn't say which brake was squeaking, or if it was all of them. Do you get the noise when you press lightly or hard? I read about a few others having experiences like mine so I decided to check some things out myself instead of letting a dealer milk the process. Turned out my driver side axle was slightly bent, not the flange but the axle. This caused the rotor to 'wobble' through the rear caliper which made a hot spot and uneven wear on the rotor. If I pressed lightly on the pedal, the rear brake would chirp and squeal. If I pressed harder, the noise would go away. My thought is the harder pressure kept both pads in that caliper tightly clamped to the rotor and any pulsating in the brake system was probably too small to feel, especially with stock brake lines. I confirmed this all before going to a dealer by jacking up the back end (properly), and with the rear on jack stands I put the car in gear and let it idle. You could easily see the left wheel wobble while the right was perfectly straight. The dealer changed the axle for me and even repacked the differential since I had the common whine turning tight. They wouldn't change the rotor or the pads for free claiming only the axle was covered. The noise went away as the pads and rotor became reaquainted. By the way, I never had an impact or any severe trauma to any of my wheels to cause this and it started to chirp at around 1500 miles, leads me to believe the axle was bent from the factory. Sorry about the novel, just don't want to see you be in and out of the dealer over and over.
Ben

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Do you get the noise when you press lightly or hard?

I have the same problem. When pressed lightly, my front brakes consistantly squeal. Usually is the worse while going slowly in a parking lot and it's a dry day. Have had two dealerships look at it and they said it's the nature of the beast (pun intended) and that it's nothing serious :bored:. Still very annoying though...

Sounds like the consensus is ceramic brakes. I've had a friend recommend Hawk pads. Any thoughts?

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have the same problem. When pressed lightly, my front brakes consistantly squeal. Usually is the worse while going slowly in a parking lot and it's a dry day. Have had two dealerships look at it and they said it's the nature of the beast (pun intended) and that it's nothing serious :bored:. Still very annoying though...

Sounds like the consensus is ceramic brakes. I've had a friend recommend Hawk pads. Any thoughts?

Duralast CMAX can be bought at auto zone and are much less expensive as I recall than Hawk pads. If I were doing track racing then yes Hawk pads.

I believe there were something 125 for the front and $75 for the rear.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
It's the stock pads. It's worst for me just after its rained or if the air is particularly high in humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member

bull3441

Established Member
^ they're good pads for normal driving. brake dust is prob half that of the stockers and washes off easily.

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
wow, so I'm not the only one... I could just imagine what people think when I'm coming to a stop.... eeeeeeeeeee for like an 1/8 of a mile, sometimes I do it on purpose lol

new pads are in order though, EBC most likely, can't do duralast on my glorified mustang

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
wow, so I'm not the only one... I could just imagine what people think when I'm coming to a stop.... eeeeeeeeeee for like an 1/8 of a mile, sometimes I do it on purpose lol

new pads are in order though, EBC most likely, can't do duralast on my glorified mustang

Users who are viewing this thread