Stage IV to Whipple swap with basically stock fuel system?

liedenfrost

Established Member
I see what you're getting at here. The part your getting confused about is PSI, so forget about it for now. Power requires a certain amount of air and fuel no matter how it is being produced. This is a constant, give or take some for air temps and other factors. The fuel and MAF system limit your hp no matter what because the more efficient blower moves more air to make that power. Does that make sense? So yes you could slap a Whipple on at a PSI low enough to keep your MAF from pegging which will still be around 500hp.

This subject does seem a bit confusing. rwhp is clearly different than engine hp. Spinning a blower reduces the rwhp available, so my though was with a more efficient blower, more rwhp would be available. Consider a turbo setup with no drag on the crank....it frees a lot of hp because its not robbing power from the engine. The engine hp is limited by the injectors and MAF, but rwhp will change if your blower (or turbo) does not sap as much power from your engine. This should be the case with a Whipple. Also, IAT2 temps should be lower giving you more real world power due to less timing being pulled in the summer weather or after a pull through the gears.
Some folks may want to swap to a Whipple (lower boost) first rather than building up the Eaton. Then, if they want more power...change pulley, add injectors, MAF, clutch, etc.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm running a low boost 13 # Whipple

I needed a safe set up though because Open Track has you running for at least 20 minutes. I was not willing to "see if it would survive"

Maf or Mafia
boost-a-pump
injectors

None were viewed as optional by me...

For you where you already have a boost-a-pump, I would at the very least address the pegging MAF issue.

The 13# Whipple RWHP can be anywhere from 490 to 530... and possibly more.

I have not dynoed mine. But it's running great and fast as hell! I'm running it really fat @ 11.2 A/F to keep it together.

That means I'm asking for a lot of fuel...

I wanted to make sure when the PCM asks for it, the fuel system delivers it.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Consider a turbo setup with no drag on the crank....it frees a lot of hp because its not robbing power from the engine.
Well... it's still impeding the engine's exhaust flow and that's not hp free either, although dyno numbers would tell us that this is a more efficient way to make hp on top end.

I see what you guys mean about how and why you want to use a Whipple, it's definitely a better way to make power than a pullied/ported Eaton any way you slice it. I think for most it's just the initial cost. I personally have decided not to go that route because the Eaton seems quite capable of supplying enough power to scare the hell out of me on a weekly basis. Not to mention I prefer to keep the primary components of my Terminator stock for various reasons.

GOT SVT

got boost?
Established Member
i know a guy who did exactly what you want to do

he was right around 530 rwhp with stock injectors and conservative tune

he drove it that way for a long time

i am pretty sure he has upgraded now since he is about 560 rwhp now

Users who are viewing this thread