Starter options

96dreamer

Established Member
Does anyone have experience with running a newer starter from a coyote car on their 4.6 based motor. I am in need of a replacement and came across the ford racing M-11000-C50 which states it fits 96-19 manual cars and it quite a bit smaller/lighter. It looks to be identical to the Motorcraft SA1067 other than the harness which I do not need and a decent reduction in price.

96dreamer

Established Member
Well I ordered the Motorcroft SA1067. I couldn't find anything saying there was a difference between it and the ford racing version. My stock starter lasted 175k miles so I wanted to put another ford starter in. Ill report back with results.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
not quite the same situation but pretty sure the lightning guys started running the 15-17 coyote starters and happy with it

96dreamer

Established Member
New starter came in today. Looks like everything should bolt up with no issues. It is a little smaller and just over a pound lighter. Looks to be identical to the pictures of the ford racing unit I could find.
20230503_101258.jpg

20230503_101217.jpg

20230503_101205.jpg

96dreamer

Established Member
Update. Got it installed. It looks like it puts the solenoid slightly closer to the exhaust so we'll see how that goes. I have arh 1-3/4 on the car so it was already pretty tight. It definitely starts quicker and is much quieter than the oem one.

vr4

Established Member
Update. Got it installed. It looks like it puts the solenoid slightly closer to the exhaust so we'll see how that goes. I have arh 1-3/4 on the car so it was already pretty tight. It definitely starts quicker and is much quieter than the oem one.
Pics of clearance? I just put a stock replacement motorcraft in mine but always open for other options. Also have arh headers

03' White Snake

Established Member
I wrapped my my starter with heat shielding fabric and stainless zip ties. My stater solenoid is about 1” away for reference from the header.

96dreamer

Established Member
Pretty much impossible to get a picture of the actual clearance with a stock k member. There is enough to squeeze a finger all around the solenoid. It is tightest near the mounting surface quickly gaining as you move towards the solenoid connections. I ordered a starter heat shield blanket just to be safe.

20230504_083539.jpg

96dreamer

Established Member
Getting pretty good at taking this damn thing on and off. Hopefully it's on there for a while this time. Got it wrapped in a dei starter blanket. Held in with the velcro and 3 stainless zip ties. Also took the time to cut around the factory vents, not sure if that was needed but I figure it can't hurt.
20230505_211744.jpg

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Starter removal and install is a breeze with an aftermarket k member by the way. More of a reason to get one, lol.

96dreamer

Established Member
Starter removal and install is a breeze with an aftermarket k member by the way. More of a reason to get one, lol.
Trust me it's on the list lol. I've had the factory K with MM forward offset arms for years. The only thing I would replace it with would be a MM with standard offset and I just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money for essentially no change. That being said it will happen eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread