Steering Rack Bushings

1Shot1Kill

Still Learning
Established Member
Ok guys I need some help in a little over a month I'll be home from Korea and have quite a few small parts to install on my car and want some advice, some of the suspension parts I have are H&R SS' steeda X2 ball joints, bumpsteer kit and C/C plates so since I'm gonna get an alignment should I go ahead and do some sort of new poly bushings for my steering rack and if so should I go solid like the MM ones? the car is my DD but I've got a 700 mile drive to my next duty station I'm not too worried about ride quality but more with steering response thanks in advance for your help,

BTW the car is a 98 driven aggressively on the street but only been to the track once and no plans for it any time soon and its got 140,000 miles if that matters.

Last edited:

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If you are looking for improved steering response, don't waste time and money on any poly steering rack bushings. I recommend, and use, the solid aluminum center punched rack bushings from Maximum Motorsports. If you have an aftermarket K-member, you may need the offset style. The steering response improvement was incredible, especially for the price. Best $40 you can spend on this car.

I noticed very little NVH increase and my Cobra's on crappy Houston back streets every day. The two areas where it did increase occur at low speed. Parking lot maneuvers sometimes create a lot of creaking, especially when ambient is above 70 F. Also, at low speeds I can feel and hear the propagation of bumps, almost like a low frequency tap. I'm stock other than this mod on the front suspension.

1Shot1Kill

Still Learning
Established Member
If you are looking for improved steering response, don't waste time and money on any poly steering rack bushings. I recommend, and use, the solid aluminum center punched rack bushings from Maximum Motorsports. If you have an aftermarket K-member, you may need the offset style. The steering response improvement was incredible, especially for the price. Best $40 you can spend on this car.

I noticed very little NVH increase and my Cobra's on crappy Houston back streets every day. The two areas where it did increase occur at low speed. Parking lot maneuvers sometimes create a lot of creaking, especially when ambient is above 70 F. Also, at low speeds I can feel and hear the propagation of bumps, almost like a low frequency tap. I'm stock other than this mod on the front suspension.

I still have the stock K-member so the center ones are the ones I want? And I can't believe they are only 40 bucks I was expecting much more but hey great news for me, thanks

4camwonder

Established Member
honestly man, i have the poly steering rack bushing on mine, and i noticed a huge difference over stock. my feedback and response both improved.

i went with the poly's because i drive my car so much, when i go to a tubular k member i'll switch out to the aluminum ones, and see how i like them.

GForceJunkie

Established Member
I've had the solids in for over a year, my goal was strictly for handling.
There is a slightly more harsh feel but not much at all.
If it makes any difference, to install the solids you need to trim off some of the sleeve between the bushing and the bolt.
It's not that hard to do, just a little more involved than the poly set.
Either way they are both way better than the stock mushy ones.

1Shot1Kill

Still Learning
Established Member
Will I require some sort of press to do this or is it just pop out and push back in I've done motor mounts on previous vehicles which required me to have them pressed or am I way off on this done some minor work on the car and as soon as I get back I wanna do everything except the alignment myself so wanna learn thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread