Steering shaft options?

Guizá

Established Member
What's up guys..

I have read a lot great things about Maximum Motorsports steering shaft. I am pretty much set on it and their aluminum steering rack bushings. But do I have options here?

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
That's the setup I have and I love it. I originally was just going to upgrade to an 03 cobra shaft but they are discontinued. Apparently the new edge (99-04) shafts are the same as our stock shaft, but I chose to upgrade.

I do need to fix my bumpsteer though, and I'd like to figure out a way to dial back some of the power assist.. but that'll happen later on.

Guizá

Established Member
How are the vibrations people mention? My car pretty rough on noice as is..

Maybe something I should ask someone from Maximum Motorsports about but do you guys think ill have any issues with the long tubes?

DOHCscreamer

Established Member
How are the vibrations people mention? My car pretty rough on noice as is..

Maybe something I should ask someone from Maximum Motorsports about but do you guys think ill have any issues with the long tubes?

the mm shaft provides more clearance than the stock shaft

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
That's the setup I have and I love it. I originally was just going to upgrade to an 03 cobra shaft but they are discontinued. Apparently the new edge (99-04) shafts are the same as our stock shaft, but I chose to upgrade.

I do need to fix my bumpsteer though, and I'd like to figure out a way to dial back some of the power assist.. but that'll happen later on.

cobra r steering pump pulley will help you out

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the mm shaft provides more clearance than the stock shaft

what's funny is everyone says how great it is and I want one real soon but when i called and talked ot them about LT clearance they said it wouldn't. dont' know whatthat was about and I don't believe it. granted I had to knock my stock shaft in with a hammer

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
OP, I don't really have vibrations, just much more road feel and no slop at all. I can't say whether it was my replacement of the steering shaft or the new alignment settings, but one of those made my car have bumpsteer. It is possible that since there is no slop to take up that bumpsteer, now it is all being transferred to the steering wheel. It is also possible that my new caster settings changed the amount of shims that are needed in my bumpsteer tie rod ends due to angle change. I plan on getting it set at a performance alignment shop though, so either way that should be taken care of when they use the bumpsteer gauge or whatever tool they need to use. That wont be happening any time soon though.

cobra r steering pump pulley will help you out

That basically turns the pump slower providing less assist, correct? I'm assuming this will also create less brake assist though. I was thinking of creating restrictions in the power steering hoses to mimimize the fluid flow. Any thoughts?

Can't comment on the longtube aspect since I dont have those.

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
I have the MM shaft with Hooker long tubes. Mine rubs the shaft, but it really doesn't bother me.

As for the PS pulley, it won't help at all. It doesn't work like that. What gives the Cobra R is "feel" is it's rack, not a underdriven pump. I found a post the describes it better than I can. http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=183980&postcount=19

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread