Steering wheel alignment

cbutcher410

Established Member
Hopefully I'm not posting this in the wrong forum.

Can the steering wheel and clock spring(new clock spring) be installed 180 degrees opposite direction?

Here is my issue. My rack and pinion was leaking and have had literally the absolute worst luck for the last 14 months. I tried purchasing a new rack 15 months ago from AGR and that was a mistake. I never got the rack and had to have paypal refund my money. Then I sent my original rack to Cardone for rebuild. I'm military and had to deploy so waited 7 months to install it. Went in no problem, drove it to the alignment shop and they said I needed a new inner and outer tie rod for the passenger side because it was ceased up. Not sure how but I got new parts and they did the alignment. Drove 3 miles back home and noticed power steering fluid leaking from the boot on passenger side again. So it came back out. I was going to ship it back to cardone for rebuild again and wait 2 more months but finally said screw it and just purchased an 03 GT rack so I can at least start driving the car again.

Put the new rack in, centered the rack and centered the steering wheel and it's literally 180 degrees out. Tried this ten times at least and it's 100 percent upside down.

So either the rack was assembled from the factory upside down, or the GT rack doesn't center the same as a cobra rack and is causing it to be 180 out.

Can I just pull the steering wheel and flip it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

olympic

Established Member
I'd worry about the clockspring. They can only turn a certain amount in each direction before breaking and you're adding 180 degrees to one of the directions. Maybe remove it and carefully turn it by hand to see how far it can go safely.

I don't see any issue with flipping the steering wheel.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't think where the steering mounts to the column is splined. I'm pretty sure it has a flat spot so the wheel will only go on one way. And old friend of mine installed a K member in his GT and his steering wheel was upside. He took it to get aligned and they fixed it.

cbutcher410

Established Member
Thank you for responding. I am kind of worried about the clock spring as well. Right now the wheel is upside down and the rack and pinion and wheels are centered. I was thinking I could pull the steering wheel and old clock spring while it's upside down then install new clock spring and put the steering wheel right side up correcting the issue.

I'm just not sure if pulling the old clock spring with the wheel upside down requires the new one to go on upside down as well or if I'll be able to flip it right side up.

It's either that, or I have to send this rack back and wait on a replacement or bite the bullet and buy a flaming river for 900 bucks.

cbutcher410

Established Member
I don't think where the steering mounts to the column is splined. I'm pretty sure it has a flat spot so the wheel will only go on one way. And old friend of mine installed a K member in his GT and his steering wheel was upside. He took it to get aligned and they fixed it.
I appreciate the reply. I haven't pulled anything off yet to even see what I'm up against. I may just pull the airbag just to take a look.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I would remove the steering shaft from the rack. Center the steering wheel. Only goes 1-1/2 or so turns each way. Make sure not to break the clock spring. Go easy testing this.

Rotate the rack with pliers until the steering shaft goes back on correctly. Then adjust outer tie rods til the tires are straight. Bring it for another alignment. If you are running aftermarket bump steer kit, there are so much thread engagement it’s not even funny. That will straighten out your issue.

Not sure why the alignment shop didn’t do it for you. First thing they should do is center the wheel, then go adjust tie rod ends to straighten the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread