stock engine hp/tq handling? 03-04 cobra

sprsonic

Established Member
anyone know what the max hp/tq capabilities of an 03-04 cobra stock longblock can handle? just upgraded to a whipple 2.9/crusher and don't want to overdo it on the boost, fuel and tuning will be corrected with boost levels.
thanks

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
if i'm not mistaken, the block can handle over +/- 1100hp.
going same route with a 2.9 myself. just swapping bolts to ARP for safety.

'03snkbt

Established Member
looking for 20+. have multi pulley combos for tuning purposes. car is still my DD for now...

sprsonic

Established Member
i called whipple and told them i had a 3.25 and 4lb lower with the 2.9/crusher. he asked if the engine was built so i told him no, he says thats too much(25-26lb) boost range. all i want is 700ish hp to the wheels. he says i'd have to lower the boost because i would be quite a bit over that hp. so here i am asking questions after the purchase.

'03snkbt

Established Member
i'm leaning on 3.0/2.75 RR pulley, (1)90mm, (3)100mm idlers with stk lower and one hell of a tune.
using either 3.5/3.25 for DD tune

cbr repsol

Established Member
i called whipple and told them i had a 3.25 and 4lb lower with the 2.9/crusher. he asked if the engine was built so i told him no, he says thats too much(25-26lb) boost range. all i want is 700ish hp to the wheels. he says i'd have to lower the boost because i would be quite a bit over that hp. so here i am asking questions after the purchase.

i would take out the 4# lower...if i remember correctly my friend gabe1530 has the 3.25 on his 2.9 and it makes 20psi. with long tubes. With torco and 91 he was a bit over 655rwhp..if u went e85 with that i would think 700 rwhp would be no sweat since u have the crusher as well. As to question how much they can handle on a stock motor its usually not more than 23 #'s turbos are more efficient and out of the same 20#'s my buddie on his twin turbo has over 800rwhp. Also make sure u have enough pump, a buddie of mine mach1033 blew his motor at 23 psi with a 2.9 with twin gt pumps..ran lean up top.

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
honestly 600rwhp is tricky to get traction on the street, IMO 700+ rwhp range you better bullit proof the rest of your drivetrain......scatter shield / ds loop....because parts are going to break. They break even at 600rwhp.

'03snkbt

Established Member
have done a TON of reading/research and am bracing most of all with initial build and the rest to follow soon enough. hopefully by this summer, car will be totally built !!!

sprsonic

Established Member
honestly 600rwhp is tricky to get traction on the street, IMO 700+ rwhp range you better bullit proof the rest of your drivetrain......scatter shield / ds loop....because parts are going to break. They break even at 600rwhp.

already broke parts, no more dragstrip runs for me, and the rear is pretty stout now, and thanks guys for the input, probably going to swap someone or buy a 2lb lower and get a 3.50 pulley

cbr repsol

Established Member

this is true....on the street with that much hp i run drag radials full time. anything else is a waste. i dead hook with my nt05r's. A friend of mine dead hooks 2nd with 335 hoosiers with 800 rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread