Stock Plug Gap

michigancobra

Established Member
Well I finally got around to putting my parts
on the car. Started with the plugs, I would suggest that everyone pull there plugs. Everyone
of mine were gapped between .055 and .061, almost
50% larger then Ford spec. Working the on A-pillar
gauges now.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hi,

The Ford spec is .42-.46 and all of my plugs were gapped at .42-.43 from the factory.

As an experiment, I opened up the gap to .45 on all of the plugs. My car developed a hesitation at around 3200rpm when at full boost. My gut feeling is that I was experiencing spark blow out. So, I pulled the plugs, regapped them at .039 and the hesitation went away. There also used to be a slight hesitation at 5800rpm which is also now gone. Looks like the stock ignition (i.e. plugs and coils) are just about at the limit at 13psi of boost.

Mark

46stang

Established Member
mjchip: funny you mention that! I got my car dyno tune yesterday and my dynograph was jumping all over above 5800rpm! my plugs were all ready regapped to 40 so i think i'm going to need some new plugs or less gap? But i think your right on the plug blowout!
Leon

Cobra'03

Established Member
I put in the NGK TR6 an hour ago...all the stock plugs were right on the money at .046...the NGK's came pre-gapped at .042 and I left them there. I have a Moroso precision gapper so I know the numbers are right.

Users who are viewing this thread