Strange noise in cold weather. Any help appreciated

pgrimlock

HP Addict
Established Member
In weather 55 degrees or lower, my '04 cobra makes a strange vibrating/humming noise. It seems to occur when I give it gas at a stop. Really gets loud when I turn the wheel @ a stop or in motion, and when I press the break. Once the car warms up, it usually lessens or disappears. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ahead!

pgrimlock

HP Addict
Established Member
BTW, the noise is probably steering related but i cant fgure out why it occurs in cold weather. Its very loud and i cant feel the vibration and hear the noise louder as i depress the brake further down. has anyone ever experienced this before?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Power Steering Fluid? Maybe the cold makes it a bit low? I'd start out by changing that fluid. The problem may go away with fresh fluid.

pgrimlock

HP Addict
Established Member
My brother checked it out and he seems to think its the rack and pinion. Ill be taking it into the shop as soon as i get time and money.

exdeath

Established Member
Definitely. During steering AND braking = power steering related since it runs off the same hydraulic system.

Maybe just the shaft bearings or something that you're hearing grinding when it's under load and the shaft is undergoing lateral loads into the bearing? Winter brings out all the bad pulley squeals

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread