SVTP Oil Filter Examinations Starting Back Up

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
If you want the best filtration, yet still flow with the best, the Amsoil EaO11. It's confirmed to be 98.7% efficiency @ 15 microns. In comparison, the Ford Motorcraft FL820 is only 80% efficient @ 15 microns. I'm unsure about this spec for the Ford Racing 820 though.

Amsoil has newer test results up:

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

The Amsoil filter's media is licensed from Donaldson, meaning it is Donaldson Synteq, a glass media "nanofiber" with wire backing.

I suspect the Royal Purple uses the exact same media material.

From Royal Purple's site: Royal Purple FAQs

Royal Purple said:
Average beta rating based on ISO 4548-12 multi-pass test methods:

B100 = 25 (which means at 25 or greater micron; media is 99% efficient.)
B75 = 20 (which means at 20 or greater micron; media is 98.7% efficient. Also considered absolute rating.)
B5 = 10 (which means at 10 micron or greater; media is 80% efficient.)

The Royal Purple's efficiency at 20 microns is exactly equal to the EaO's.

Have the results of this been posted yet?

Last edited:

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Here's some data on the Ford Racing filter. Very impressive on paper.

FR820specs.png

I just want to know if it has a thread (base) end bypass valve like the MC FL-820S.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The EaO filter was redesigned, as Ben has pointed out. The new filter is rated at the same 98.7%, but now at 20 microns. The new Amsoil filter has a revised can design for better grip, and from what I can tell in the lesser 15k filters, has lost the coil bypass spring for a plate style spring.

I asked a tech at Amsoil why the change, and there reply was to increase flow even more.

The EaO filter was redesigned, as Ben has pointed out. The new filter is rated at the same 98.7%, but now at 20 microns. The new Amsoil filter has a revised can design for better grip, and from what I can tell in the lesser 15k filters, has lost the coil bypass spring for a plate style spring.

I asked a tech at Amsoil why the change, and there reply was to increase flow even more.

So how long ago did this revision take place? I purchased my Amsoil filter in Oct of this year.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
depends on the part #

also if the top is smooth its the older ones.
if its fluted its newer.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So how long ago did this revision take place? I purchased my Amsoil filter in Oct of this year.

Like Shady posted. The change was a few months ago, but since the EAO11 oil filter is Amsoil's #1 selling filter, they had a huge stock of the old style on reserve. Those have to be sold first. I honestly prefer the older ones, but I have not tested a new version yet. They may have even left the EAO11 filter alone and not change anything other than the case, but I won't know for sure until someone gets to cut into one.

The old style has a rounded end.

The new style has a fluted end.

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
The filter mag is honestly a waste of money, unless you are using cheap filters. If you were buying top tier oil filters, the fine metal that is sticking to that magnet would be trapped in the filter.

Also, considering that the filter mag will only catch metals with Fe (Fe = iron)

It won't catch aluminum, copper, lead, tin, or silicon (dirt) - and these are other wear metals that occur in engine wear.

True enough but this is where I disagree somewhat with this post.

I run Filtermags on all my oil filters (Cobra, hotrods, Porsche, Harley & DD) for this reason....

I allow the Filtermags to collect the Fe particles on the side of the filter housing thus freeing up the filter media to collect the non-ferrous particles.

I am subscribed to find out if the Wix 51372 used on my mustang is worth a crap or simply a cheap filter like mentioned in quote.

DD

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Double D,

The reason why I say it's not worth the investment, as stated before. It will only trap ferrous metals. It's better to invest that money in a high end filter, with high end filter media that will catch everything else too. Not saying you can't use one, but this is the order I would buy in to achieve the best results.

1. High end filter, like Amsoil EAO11 (4.6 & 5.4) or EAO17 (5.0)

2. Filter mag, used with one of the filters mentioned above.

That combination will yield the best protection in filtration possible on any Ford modular.

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
Double D,

The reason why I say it's not worth the investment, as stated before. It will only trap ferrous metals. It's better to invest that money in a high end filter, with high end filter media that will catch everything else too. Not saying you can't use one, but this is the order I would buy in to achieve the best results.

1. High end filter, like Amsoil EAO11 (4.6 & 5.4) or EAO17 (5.0)

2. Filter mag, used with one of the filters mentioned above.

That combination will yield the best protection in filtration possible on any Ford modular.

Thanks UB,

As I stated, I use the magnets to trap Fe particles, the filter media to trap non-ferrous (no harm, no foul). I will do the same with better filters if/when the WIX proves to be crap.

The Amsoil product line may be awesome though I'll never experience it personally. I still have a stigma with the way the program/product was sold many years ago (still too Amway for me). Simply a personal choice of mine.

I didn't read through all the posts in the previous related thread. Do you have a connection with Amsoil as either a dealer, distributor or is it based off personal /professional experience?

FWIW- all my vehicles run synthetic oil and I'm anal on the change intervals.

Subscribed to learn about the remaining filters being tested and how they fare.

Thanks again,
DD

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Thanks UB, As I stated, I use the magnets to trap Fe particles, the filter media to trap non-ferrous. I will do the same with better filters if the WIX proves to be crap.

WIX builds a very good filter, with a lot of bang for the buck. They rate high on my "will use" filter list. You should not lose sleeping using one.

The Amsoil product line may be awesome though I'll never experience it personally. I have a stigma with the way the program/product was sold many years ago (still too Amway for me). Personal choice of mine.

That's what happens when you formulate a competitive product, yet don't have a "big oil" company name backing the sale.

In 1972, when Al Amatuzio approached stores to sell "Amzoil", they refused to sell his product because it wasn't backed by the name Texaco, Exxon, Mobil, Shell, etc. (name has been changed to "Amsoil" for trademark reasons)

Al had to rely on a dealer created network to market his lubricants. Today, this network is very successful, and Al refuses to change this today. Retail accounts do exist, just not like many people expect.

I've heard this dissatisfaction with Amsoil more than once, but this is my take on it. If someone has no desire to try top tier quality product because they do not like their marketing style, then IMO....they should not discredit the product until they have tried the product for themselves.

I didn't read through all the posts in the previous related thread. Do you have a connection with Amsoil as either a dealer, distributor or is it based off personal /professional experience?

I am not an employee of Amsoil, but I did pick up an independent dealer account a long time ago. There was another dealer who was fascinated with my hobby of oil research, and asked me if I had ever tried Amsoil. I told him no, but it was spoke of highly by those who have tried and tested it. He insisted that I give it a shot, and apply my testing abilities to see how well it performs. I was getting UOAs back that rivaled the performance of Mobil 1 pre-2004 (before they began using group III base stock blends, yet still calling it a full synthetic). After the first year, I was sold and signed up as a dealer to buy it at cost, and sell it to my friends and family at cost.

Now I sell it to SVTP members at cost. It's my hobby, not my job...and I share the love. If anyone wants a "true" synthetic that does not contain refined petroleum, try Amsoil Signature Series, and at dealer cost. At $7.85 per quart, you are paying the price someone should pay for a true synthetic.

We/I also put it to the test, and not just "because I say it's good, I prove it's good".

UOA testing thread

FWIW- all my vehicles run synthetic oil and I'm anal on the change intervals.

Beware of group III highly refined petroleum. It's been the big bait and switch technique since the late 90's, and since 2005 in Mobil 1's line up.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just as a little update, I plan on spending about 4 hours with a band saw cutting end caps off of the filters I have in the next couple of weeks.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Just as a little update, I plan on spending about 4 hours with a band saw cutting end caps off of the filters I have in the next couple of weeks.

Want a link to one of those cutters? Lot safer/ faster than the band saw.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Gotcha,
here is the link to a filter opener if you need one.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-Filter-Cutter/dp/B000BO9KSS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325601941&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Longacre Oil Filter Cutter: Automotive[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread