T56 will not go into reverse

fastferndog

Established Member
I've done some searches and I really haven't found much information on this except the reverse lock out. As the initial title states my T56 will not go into reverse at all. I removed the lockout solenoid to rule it out first even if I could physically see it move inward/retract. I can get the shift lever past that point but it will not even attempt to go in at all. I can go thru all the 6 gears but nothing on the reverse. A little background on this transmission, I purchased this Trans from a member here, and he packaged it on a cheap cardboard box and Saran wrapped it. Unfortunately for me this was for my Shelby swap which as you all know projects usually don't get done in a week or two, sometimes not even in a few months. Anyhow, I did contact him upon receiving it that the transmission was poorly packaged and that it had received damage at the tailshaft housing. I did explain and sent a picture, which to me looked like a small ding/flat at the end where the output shaft seal goes. I'm finally near completion of the swap and as I was testing out all the gears including reverse...no REVERSE!! That's when I pulled the solenoid out to make sure it wasn't it and to verify the operation. As I suspected all was ok with it, but still NO REVERSE!!! Now my question is this... Can the tailshaft housing be removed and installed with the Trans in the car? Or do I have to remove it? I have a feeling that the superficial damage is an indication of something more severe inside the Trans. I want to do this before going any further with the member that sold me the transmission, until I know exactly what I'm dealing with and hopefully he will man up for shipping it without proper packaging, and at least refund some for the damaged parts. I'm not looking to burn or put someone on blast, I'm just sharing this info so that I can get some constructive ideas to properly diagnose this concern and get on with my project. Thank you all for your time in advance!

fastferndog

Established Member
Here is what I started with about a year ago
D7F88931-1A02-4AF6-836E-1110B59044AD.jpg

B861DD24-48D6-4FBC-8D6B-118E5C16B7D4.jpg

Here is where I'm at today...
A55628FD-18F0-4D15-8627-36B6E0E48064.jpg

1DE34BDD-87C8-449F-9E4A-06470078FC6F.jpg

And the Trans in subject
398E83EB-1202-4A0A-A216-8098030310EC.jpg

Last edited:

weaselp1

Established Member
I can't get into reverse at all, engine off or on

ok - a buddy of mine could get into reverse with car off and reverse would not work with car on - turned out his clutch was not fully disengaging.

I also have had someone i know take the floor mat out and that extra 1/8 to 1/4 quarter inch of clutch travel let him shift into reverse - sounds like this is a long shot chance for you, but if you havent tried it, you might want to give it a shot.

Also have you checked the #8 fuse in the cabin area? The 8 fuse controls the lockout solenoid.

Sorry if you have already tried this stuff, just trying to offer some suggestion - it seems like you have tried alot - it would suck to have to remove the trans and open it up to see what is wrong.

fastferndog

Established Member
Thank you weaselp1! The #8 fuse is not there since the car is a 94!!! With an 07 powertrain. However I am using a fused circuit that also powers up the pcm. Unfortunately it looks like it will have to come out, I can hear the lock out solenoid activating. I can also get the shift lever to move the additional step that would get me into reverse, but it just will not go up.

weaselp1

Established Member
Thank you weaselp1! The #8 fuse is not there since the car is a 94!!! With an 07 powertrain. However I am using a fused circuit that also powers up the pcm. Unfortunately it looks like it will have to come out, I can hear the lock out solenoid activating. I can also get the shift lever to move the additional step that would get me into reverse, but it just will not go up.

your welcome - another thing that comes to mind (that you probably dont want to hear) is that your reverse snap ring is broken....maybe due to the shipping method you described? you can pull the tail housing while the trans is in the car i believe. I searched a bit and this is what i found. I know its not a cobra, but it is a t56 : http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/transmissions-drivetrain/518999-need-help-t56-swap.html

good luck! let us know what you find out

fastferndog

Established Member
That's bad ass!! Thank you!!! I have been doing searches and haven't been able to come up with anything! This is real good news!! I'll do this tonight!! And post up pics as I go along for anyone else that may come up with a similar situation

weaselp1

Established Member
That's bad ass!! Thank you!!! I have been doing searches and haven't been able to come up with anything! This is real good news!! I'll do this tonight!! And post up pics as I go along for anyone else that may come up with a similar situation

Your welcome! Glad i can help...doesnt seem like too much work for you - you were able to swap engine and tranny so tearing into a tranny with it on the car seems totally plausible for you! Good luck!

Mike

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
If it won't go into reverse with the engine off then it is going to be mechanical. Shift fork, rod, pads, synchro, etc.
You've started the car and driven in forward gears or gone through the gears with the wheels spinning on a lift? That would show the clutch, input shaft, output, counter shaft, etc are not binding so it gets specific to a reverse gear/shift linkage issue.

Once you get in there I'm sure you'll find it but if not try calling the company that rebuilt it and pick their brain. Do you know how many miles since rebuild. Great build by the way. I read through your build post and Jesus you are hitting every obstacle possible. It will be worth it in the end though!

SV

fastferndog

Established Member
Thank you guys! I will be draining the Trans and removing the driveshaft and exhaust tonight. I might even get to pull the housing out. I'm also thinking its mechanical, because I CAN go thru all fwd gears in the air, but no reverse. It sucks because I was supposed to have taken the car to the body shop since last week, but this came up....I guess I'll take my sweet time now and not try to make the Car show. There will be many more afterwards anyway

fastferndog

Established Member
So I got this far in less than an hour, but I'm stuck there!!!!
The housing has a very super duty silicone and it simply won't budge!! I've been at it over an hour and a half!!!!

fastferndog

Established Member
978E825D-5AC7-4487-9567-4BCCB2D33840.jpg

0CB8AE5B-BCCF-4FE6-BB35-DF0A0C93B704.jpg

559B6EB0-EBA6-4D2C-98B8-864C043D6391.jpg

So it's obvious that the problem is mechanical... The guy swears up and down that it was in perfect working order!! As you can see from the images that some material will always be present, but I found somekind of small chunk or metallic piece possibly a tooth from a gear. So I'll have to set up a bench here at home and tear it down and see what other " surprises" I find. Thank you every one for your help. I'll post back in a week or so when I finally tear it apart and show the actual findings...

fastferndog

Established Member
Very small update!! It looks like the piece I removed is the shift interlock that goes on the 1-2 shift rail assembly. Why would it affect reverse? Because it probably was wedged between the reverse shift fork and the synchro. It's supposed to be somewhere in the rear.
EA5CA25B-00F1-4DC8-BB62-CB4CEAFFDF47.jpg

What I found looks like half of that piece.

Last edited:

fastferndog

Established Member
Unless it was another gear, since I have not actually driven the car on the street since I have no radiator, and also needs an alignment badly

Users who are viewing this thread