GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
********UPDATE*********
Car is back, job well done.
All smiles again!

lvxlr8n

Established Member
Hey fords dropping the ball with paint issues. My brother had multiple rust bubbles on the hood of his 2011 5.0. First time they didn't even sand the hood down they painted right over the rock chips. Finally after going to corporate they fixed it right.

I think the hoods are aluminum aren't they?

dom418

Established Member
Its a ford...ive come to expect these things. After 5k miles on my 2013, i noticed part of the leather on the steering wheel coming apart. Dealer should take care of you.

I would have hoped things like this would have improved over the years. 03-04 cobras had paint issues. My hood wasn't even painted all the way. Only now these things are almost twice the price as they were back then. QC should be able to spot these issues before leaving the factory. I feel for everyone that has had issues.

Rob Nelson

Established Member
Glad you got it back and it looks like it should!!! I still gotta go over my 14' and detail it but its too dang cold here right now in Wisconsin (40 degrees).

yorbaraptor

Established Member
Rear Bumper Paint

********UPDATE*********
Car is back, job well done.
All smiles again!

You notice any discoloration on the rear bumper? Mine looks different then the rest of the car. I was told this has to do with the flex agent they use in the bumper, it can cause the discoloration. My front bumper is fine, and I also noted that all the other colors don't have this issue!

Guess I will talking to the dealer when I take in for an oil change about it.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Isnt the 2013's all using PPG Water base? Most manufacturers are switching to waterbase. As usual, there will be issues.... Right now, because PPG hasn't perfected waterbase clearcoat, manufacturer's are using solvent clearcoat and possibly solvent E-Coat/Primer along with water base coat. I have personally sprayed a SB Primer sealer/sufacer, water basecoat and SB clear and have had no issues. But thats spray vs. dipped...

These vehicles are dipped and not sprayed at the factory, so, that tells me that damage is NOT a paint sag. The process they use now eliminates sags and runs completely.

It is possible the clearcoat OR basecoat cured before the previous layer, in which basecoat solvent gases collect under the cured layer creating a bubble.

It could be as simple as lack of surface prep or surface contamination. If it was silicone contamination (common), the bubble will be down to metal.

Another long shot possibility, (this does happen) the vehicle was damaged and repaired prior to you receiving it. There is a body team on hand at the factory to heal those little bumps and bruises.

Bumper covers: Ladies and Gentleman, our bumper covers are contracted out to be painted seperately from the body. Even with the EXACT paint code, there can be almost a dozen variances of that color. It can be frustrating but there is NO other feasible way to do front and rear bumper covers.

PPG is responsible for ALL OEM paint BUT, for some reason, I think I remember hearing SW has the contract for bumper covers and interior/exterior trim. I would have to check...

Last edited:

Kapy

Established Member
Isnt the 2013's all using PPG Water base? Most manufacturers are switching to waterbase. As usual, there will be issues.... Right now, because PPG hasn't perfected waterbase clearcoat, manufacturer's are using solvent clearcoat and possibly solvent E-Coat/Primer along with water base coat. I have personally sprayed a SB Primer sealer/sufacer, water basecoat and SB clear and have had no issues. But thats spray vs. dipped...

These vehicles are dipped and not sprayed at the factory, so, that tells me that damage is NOT a paint sag. The process they use now eliminates sags and runs completely.

It is possible the clearcoat OR basecoat cured before the previous layer, in which basecoat solvent gases collect under the cured layer creating a bubble.

It could be as simple as lack of surface prep or surface contamination. If it was silicone contamination (common), the bubble will be down to metal.

Another long shot possibility, (this does happen) the vehicle was damaged and repaired prior to you receiving it. There is a body team on hand at the factory to heal those little bumps and bruises.

Bumper covers: Ladies and Gentleman, our bumper covers are contracted out to be painted seperately from the body. Even with the EXACT paint code, there can be almost a dozen variances of that color. It can be frustrating but there is NO other feasible way to do front and rear bumper covers.

PPG is responsible for ALL OEM paint BUT, for some reason, I think I remember hearing SW has the contract for bumper covers and interior/exterior trim. I would have to check...

Pill you are spot on.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread