TC at 650 h.p.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You can inquire about the module from Mike at Buyfordracing. His email is
ScreenHunter_02Apr281107.gif

I paid a bit over $200 for the module. Mike can get you a good price, probably better than Summit or RoushYatesParts.

Understand that the part may be on "hold" as FRPP doesn't generally sell it to the public at large as it was designed for use in a spec racing series (Mustang Challenge cars). Read the following FRPP pdf, scroll down to the "Brake System" and you'll see it listed there. Note that the car already uses much of what our GT500's already come with.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Mustang/fr500sownerinfo/Parts_Info_FR500S_v1.pdf

For more on the FR500S cars, click here.

One of the (former) FRPP engineers has spoken about it on the NASA forums as he'd like to use the system on his fox body. Taken out of context, here's a comment regarding the module...

Jeff F said:
I can tell you that a FR500S module is a significant, measurable improvement over a stock S197 module.

nasaforums.com • View topic - ABS poll

There was/is some disagreement as to whether it should be allowed...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Here (again on the NASA forums) is Jeff responding to some questions about the FR500S module/system...

How does the SN95 ABS unit differ from the S197 unit?

In more ways than I can describe. The S197 is light years more sophisticated. It has dynamic rear proportioning, much more sophisticated control algorithms, the ability to determine lateral acceleration based on the speed difference between left and right side wheels and use it in it's ABS control, the ability to vary the braking effort on all 4 wheels during an ABS event to induce under/oversteer...

How does the FR500S & C differ from the S197 unit?

The FR500C and FR500S units were both specifically calibrated to those cars, on race tracks, with the correct suspension and tires. It is a pure race tuning that doesn't have any of the compromises found in street car ABS.

If folks use in-car proportioning valves, doesn't ABS just become for the "haves & have nots only"?

Not even close.

Can you provide 100 Ford ABS units for all AI competitors at a "group buy" price to ensure everyone is on the same playing field? (OK...no need to answer that.)

I went out of my way 2 years ago to make the FR500S a catalog part that was available to anyone. You can buy it for $200. Put it on anything but a S197 Mustang, however, and the results will not be as good. The difference in wheelbase, track width, suspension, and a number of other parameters mean that it is not optimized to that application. How much different? Nobody knows. But if the rules don't change, I'm going to find out how it works on a Fox body. And retune it if necessary. Oops, did I just say that? :wink:

From this thread.

ON EDIT...be aware that the above post is a couple of years old and that the price has risen a little bit over what Jeff mentioned.

Last edited:

CPRsm

Hell I might buy is just so it defaults to the off position when I key up. I've started more burnouts with it on, than off. When the engine dies, I realize it's on lol.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Gee Tob you have money for all the cool bolt-ons on the Shelby.

I don't have a lot of money to waste so I try to research each mod as much as possible. This was one I've been considering for some time. I do have a couple of other small projects that I've never seen done before either, and I'll post them up during progress as well.

Hell I might buy is just so it defaults to the off position when I key up.

I always found the default to on TCS to be a bit annoying, as much as I fully understand why an OEM needs it to be that way on a car with this much power. I don't know all the particulars regarding the FR500S unit vs the stock GT500 unit but I'm working to find them out.

DaFreak

Established Member
Hi Tob,

How much do you know about the 302r ABS Module? I understand the 500S only works on 08-09 MYs and wondering about the 302R module on 10+ MYs.

Any info is appreciated.

meterman

Established Member
do I need the M-2005-R brake booster

Hi Tob,

I've got an 07 GT500 and have been considering installing the M-2353-A brake module as I do a lot of road course racing. Switched to Hawk DCT60's and 70's to help as well as Motul's RBF 600.

I understand it will let you get closer to the "edge" before the anti-locks kick in, which is exactly the problem I faced that last time at the track.

My question is do I need the M-2005-R brake booster?

shelbyman1

Established Member
Clutch....

To hell with TC, I disabled mine permanently...

The last thing I need is the car cutting power and shifting the weight of the car on a skid when it could be corrected through steering and articulating the throttle.....

Been there done that, took the driving course..

how'd u permanently disable? unplug an abs sensor?

meterman

Established Member
You don't need to change boosters.

Thanks Tob, that's what I thought, but needed some confirmation. If I go this route then I can change my tune back so it leaves TCS on at startup. I had my tuner turn it off on my track tune. Every time I got the the grid I'd shut the car off until the starter gave us the green flag. I would always forget to turn TCS off. The only down side is I can't turn it back on when it's programmed in the tune.

So, if I go with the brake module it will not come on unless I turn it on, correct?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
meterman said:
So, if I go with the brake module it will not come on unless I turn it on, correct?

That is correct.

Regarding that booster, I had a conversation with someone that works for a successful Grand Am team specific to the booster you mentioned. I simply asked what made it so expensive. He chuckled and informed me that his team doesn't use it on their cars and that it would take a very well trained foot in order to take advantage of any improvement it may offer.

Users who are viewing this thread