Technique tips

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That is what he is running. It is the 500 ft lbs of torque from 2000 to redline that is causing the wheel spin.

Yea pretty much, but I don't let that happen, I still use real early throttle I just don't use all of it.

When I was Ice Racing I became accustomed to always using JUST ENOUGH throttle, so I am pretty used to pedaling the car and getting back on the power as soon as it is physically possible. Which usually means part throttle and just squeezing in more as you straighten out and gain speed, and also the weight moves back and re-loads the inside rear wheel, because the cornering is now over with.

I like the 3.55s, I did think about 3.73s but I'm done modding this car. I'm leaving it the way it is and I am looking at lighter stuff, that hopefully will still be kinda fast and fun. The tracks I run around here I only use 3rd and forth, I used to use second on a few turns but I was slower then and had less power too.

I would love to get the Tiger racing hood and some 14" brakes but I have got to be realistic, this car is too heavy to be economical at this activity.

I need to find a job soon too, I had to quit when I got real sick and then the economy totally tanked, now that I am healed up I am having a tough time finding something that is a good fit for a 58 old year Ford parts guy, even Houston's UBER ROBUST job market is impacted.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^Smart move with the Cobra Jimmy.

I modded mine to the point where it was simply expensive to run at the track. Especially for a hobby. It would be different if I was making some money. I did the 14" brakes, 18" wheels, 529rwhp. The car ran great and I enjoyed it, but switching to my fox body with 13" factory Cobra brakes and a Cobra IRS has been much more economical and just as fun. In turns I think my fox body is faster. It certianly is better balanced and lighter.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I quit while I was ahead with my Cobra, and have been runing the RX7 for the last 2 years. The car is 1000 lbs lighter than the Cobra with about 400 fewer HP. I'm still not quite as fast as I was with the Cobra, but I was less than 5 seconds behind on a 1.7 mile track, and have learned so much more with regard to feel, driving and tuning.

Once the LS1 goes into the car I think I will be 3-5 seconds faster than the Cobra, right out of the gate. It will be sub 2700 lbs with 375-400 WHP.

MGC

Established Member
I practice on the street for two reasons: as a newbie to the sport, it's hard to concentrate with everything happening so fast, so I'm working on getting used to that first. Secondly, practicing on the street gets me used to the awkward movement of heel-toe, once it becomes second nature, I'll start using on it on track but speed up the movements.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
That was my logic too. I'm sure starting out during track days that it'll be sensory overload so any bit of technique I can get memorized now will help out when stepping out on the roadcourse for the first time.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I learned by finding a cloverleaf around the highway that is hardly used by a lot of traffic early in the morning or late at night. You have to get in the rhythm of it and make sure to think about it before you do it. For me I pressed the brake hard with the upper left part of the foot and roll my ankle over to blip the throttle. Also a good pair of driving shoes helps a lot and try it at the track when you are comfortable with it.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I learned by finding a cloverleaf around the highway that is hardly used by a lot of traffic early in the morning or late at night. You have to get in the rhythm of it and make sure to think about it before you do it. For me I pressed the brake hard with the upper left part of the foot and roll my ankle over to blip the throttle. Also a good pair of driving shoes helps a lot and try it at the track when you are comfortable with it.

I will echo the driving shoes. You need to have a thin soled shoe (preferably a driving shoe) so you can feel the brake and gas pedals. With a thinner shoe, you can almost wrap the top part of your foot around the brake pedal and it is easier to roll your ankle to get the side of your foot over to the gas.

Case in point:
This past weekend, I was working an event at CMP. I got a few minutes to run out on track and jumped in the car (C5Z06). After a warm-up lap, I pulled hard out of T1, breathed in T2, got back on the gas, left foot braked a little for T3 to settle the car and then wound out 3rd and shifted to 4th. Coming into T4, I was a little hot, a little off line - no huge deal. I started braking, went to heel-toe and something didn't feel right. That split second of "why does that feel funny" broke my concentration enough that I let the car rotate and slid to the back side of T4. I simply ran out of pavement and when I got to the grass it counter-rotated. By now I am in the grass and to the right of the PVC poles inside the apex of T5 but sliding towards them. I nailed the gas and let the car slide all the way across the grass back onto the pavement in T6. I politely waved at the cornerworker and kept on going. On the straight between T7 and T8, I looked down and confirmed, "You big dummy, you left your sneakers on!!!" :bash:

BTW, it is possible to heel-toe shift a 99 Cobra from 5th to 3rd going into T1 at Roebling Road while wearing sandals. Just ask me how I know. :rockon:

-Kevin

Gray Ghost GT

Established Member
BTW, it is possible to heel-toe shift a 99 Cobra from 5th to 3rd going into T1 at Roebling Road while wearing sandals. Just ask me how I know. :rockon: -Kevin

LOL! :coolman: I can see it now - along with a bright hawaiian shirt and shades while listening to "Cheeseburger In Paradise" by Jimmy Buffet! :beer:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I learned by finding a cloverleaf around the highway that is hardly used by a lot of traffic early in the morning or late at night.

My own test area a few miles from home.

cloverleaf.jpg

LOL! :coolman: I can see it now - along with a bright hawaiian shirt and shades while listening to "Cheeseburger In Paradise" by Jimmy Buffet! :beer:

:lol:
Michael, you coming to SP in Nov?

Users who are viewing this thread