Texas auxiliary light law

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED.
(a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

My question is what counts as a driving lamp? Does one 40" LED light bar count as just 1 auxiliary driving lamp?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a light bar and want to make sure I'm legal driving with it on, especially in the mornings (5 am) coming in from the hill country.

LEOs, would there be an issue with me driving with that on (only when the head lights are on)? It will be on a separate Aux switch so it can be turned off separate of the head lights. I'd be OK turning it off when I get to the city, but want to make sure I wouldn't get tagged if I forgot to turn it off.

Similar to this, but mounted behind the grill. Not on the bumper:

7h4v.jpg

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
For what it is worth, VA has a similar law for aux. lights. I have seen a few of these style lights, and if I remember correctly, they put out a decent amount of light, but not enough to blind oncoming vehicles. Here, they have to wired with the high/low beams, and must turn off when high beams are cut on.

I have never messed with anybody running them. I think my questions would be how are they wired internally, AND if more than 1 electrical input, how are they wired.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Looking at the light bar it would appear to me there are numerous lamps (lights). I don't think this is going to fly, based in this interpretation. It also looks like it going to throw too much light out. You cannot have more than four lights (lamps) on at one time on a public roadway.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Looking at the light bar it would appear to me there are numerous lamps (lights). I don't think this is going to fly, based in this interpretation. It also looks like it going to throw too much light out. You cannot have more than four lights (lamps) on at one time on a public roadway.

Hence why I put the "depends on how they are wired internally. They are LED lights, I believe, which, if like the lights on our LEO vehicles, are comprised of 5 LED light units to make up just 1 "light".

I should have also mentioned, and I need to find this out too, are they marked on the packaging as "Off Road Use Only"?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^10-4 Yea, I didn't think about the one light deal until after I posted. I looked a a few boxes from a friend of mine who installs these types of lights.
It indicated for "off road use only."
The candlelight power is got to be way up there as well. I didn't take a look at that on the box.

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
^10-4 Yea, I didn't think about the one light deal until after I posted. I looked a a few boxes from a friend of mine who installs these types of lights.
It indicated for "off road use only."
The candlelight power is got to be way up there as well. I didn't take a look at that on the box.

the majority of aftermarket lights are labeled "for off road or show use only"

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
I installed this a few weeks ago. If I'm driving and there's no traffic I usually have it on. As soon as I see an oncoming car, I turn it off, much like turning off your brights.

Is there any problems with that? I was planning to ask one of the state troopers where I park but I haven't seen them around in the morning recently.

Edit - 14,400 lumens is how bright it is.

mavisky

Established Member
Jesus 14,400 lumens is a crap ton of light. I don't see any problem installing it, but you may catch some flack for using it if you're coming down a deserted bit of road and catch a smokey in a bad mood sitting off to the side of the road and you hit him with all them lumens.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Yeah it's bright. It's a flood/spot combo light so it does a fantastic job in the pitch black mornings lighting up the roads and ditches for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread