Texting while driving video

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Probably a good one to show to your kids:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnHvgzXOwNU"]YouTube - Texting while driving (very graphic)[/ame]

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If there is any single thing that absolutely MUST be eradicated from the driver's standpoint it is texting while driving. Since texting isn't going away, what is needed is a voice actuated text system implemented and strictly enforced. This isn't an easy problem to fix but it has seriously gotten out of control. There is absolutely NO way you can pay attention to driving while you're manually typing a text message. Manually dialing a phone number on a cell phone while driving is bad enough. Texting and monitoring your received text messages is much more potentially dangerous.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
A good video to pass around, Probably and hopefully will change the way a bunch of my friends drive... Yes I'm guilty of texting while driving, Do it a lot more then I probably should, but I'm not worried about what I'm actually spelling or if it's correct or anything. I'm paying attention to the road in front and around me more then I am that phone.
Main reason I don't ride with many people... Cause a lot of them are more worried about a phone, or what he or she said bull crap then what's at hand.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
If there is any single thing that absolutely MUST be eradicated from the driver's standpoint it is texting while driving. Since texting isn't going away, what is needed is a voice actuated text system implemented and strictly enforced. This isn't an easy problem to fix but it has seriously gotten out of control. There is absolutely NO way you can pay attention to driving while you're manually typing a text message. Manually dialing a phone number on a cell phone while driving is bad enough. Texting and monitoring your received text messages is much more potentially dangerous.

I know this may sound doltish from a standpoint, but you can pay attention to driving, I know I can. If I put both hands on the steering wheel. Left hand at 12 and right hand at 3, and have my voyager, Full key board phone when open. Placed between them, Which moves the phone out my viewing site of the road. I can type a full 160 character message with out looking at the phone, Because of muscle memory and knowing where the keys are. I don't look at the phone when texting or what I actually said/say when I drive. The only time I would look is if I'm at a stop light and someone said huh, because they couldn't understand what I said, or I didn't make sense.

But Texting while driving is still doltish! I agree, And this video really gives you something to cogitate about.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
It's not that you can't pay attention to the road while driving, it's that the percentage of attention is lowered. You can't deny that you're having to devote some brain power to the function of texting. This is the argument most kids pose. "I can pay attention to the road just fine! I've never had a wreck while texting!" Yeah. And there are several drunk drivers out there that've never had a problem. Texting lessens the attention you'd normally be devoting entirely to driving. You can pay attention to the road, you're just doing it slightly less efficiently. Kids under 25 (typically) have a hard enough time driving at all, much less with another task thrown in the mix, regardless of how adept they've become at that extra task.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
It's not that you can't pay attention to the road while driving, it's that the percentage of attention is lowered. You can't deny that you're having to devote some brain power to the function of texting. This is the argument most kids pose. "I can pay attention to the road just fine! I've never had a wreck while texting!" Yeah. And there are several drunk drivers out there that've never had a problem. Texting lessens the attention you'd normally be devoting entirely to driving. You can pay attention to the road, you're just doing it slightly less efficiently. Kids under 25 (typically) have a hard enough time driving at all, much less with another task thrown in the mix, regardless of how adept they've become at that extra task.

I agree with you, The attention span is greatly lowered, the only time I would think about texting would be when I'm at a lower speed,(<35) and have no one in front of me. But I greatly agree that it redueces the attention span of the driver when texting. And this video does give me a second thought on what I do while driving.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Can't see the vid, but almost watched a girl drive off the road yesterday because she was texting. Got about halfway across the white line before she swerved back onto the road. About a mile up the street was a car pulled over on the small shoulder. If the swerving had happened less than a minute later, both cars would be in a world of hurt.

buckinwild

Established Member
Nothing like a little tough love to get a point across, we need more video's like this.:thumbsup: I know before I graduated H.S. someone had put together this piece using motor vehicle collision pictures that the police had taken at the scene's, it had the song "flirtin' with disaster" dubbed in (this was in the early 80's, yea Im old) and it showed the vehicles, dead bodies, gore and all. Some of the victims were fellow students from my school as well, several people didn't take it very well but you know if it saved some lives and kept others from having to go through the pain of losing someone they're close to I say more power to em.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO texting, as far as loss of attention, is no different than setting your coffee on the passenger side floor and then leaning to pick it up. In that span of just a few seconds anything bad can happen. The point is not even that you're leaning to the passenger seat. It is the almost complete loss of attention because you eyes have to move away from the road. Lose that focus for even 3 seconds and bad things could easily occur.
* swerve off the road into a person
* swerve off the road into a tree
* go through a stop sign or stop light with bad consequences
* swerve into the opposing lane with bad consequences
* AND WORSE OF ALL....if you're a parent doing it while your kids are in the car not only are you compromising their safety and well-being, you're sending a signal that it is normal and okay to do it. For those parents here who have teens who are just driving, what example do you really want to set that will be followed by your teens and even younger children. I heard it once said that your kids don't remember near as much of what you say as they do about what you DO!

PLEASE be safe all! PLEASE remind your family and friends not to text while driving. And PLEASE set an example you want others to follow!

61mmstang94

Established Member
OP, good post about a pretty serious problem on the roads. Too many times I see people doing it and wonder how they can be even half way focused on driving or what's going on around them.

A good video to pass around, Probably and hopefully will change the way a bunch of my friends drive... Yes I'm guilty of texting while driving, Do it a lot more then I probably should, but I'm not worried about what I'm actually spelling or if it's correct or anything. I'm paying attention to the road in front and around me more then I am that phone.
Main reason I don't ride with many people... Cause a lot of them are more worried about a phone, or what he or she said bull crap then what's at hand.

I know this may sound doltish from a standpoint, but you can pay attention to driving, I know I can. If I put both hands on the steering wheel. Left hand at 12 and right hand at 3, and have my voyager, Full key board phone when open. Placed between them, Which moves the phone out my viewing site of the road. I can type a full 160 character message with out looking at the phone, Because of muscle memory and knowing where the keys are. I don't look at the phone when texting or what I actually said/say when I drive. The only time I would look is if I'm at a stop light and someone said huh, because they couldn't understand what I said, or I didn't make sense.

But Texting while driving is still doltish! I agree, And this video really gives you something to cogitate about.

Attitudes like you two idiots are what lead to these accidents. Do you think anyone got behind the wheel and was like "I'm going to be dangerous and not focus on driving because my text is more important"? No, they thought they could but the fact is that when you're sitting here thinking about and typing a message to someone, you're NOT paying enough attention to the road. Shit happens in fractions of a second.

JJs89lx

In the making.....
Established Member
OP, good post about a pretty serious problem on the roads. Too many times I see people doing it and wonder how they can be even half way focused on driving or what's going on around them.

Attitudes like you two idiots are what lead to these accidents. Do you think anyone got behind the wheel and was like "I'm going to be dangerous and not focus on driving because my text is more important"? No, they thought they could but the fact is that when you're sitting here thinking about and typing a message to someone, you're NOT paying enough attention to the road. Shit happens in fractions of a second.

I didn't come out here to start a pissing war, Just stated an opinion. I'm still not going to try and start a pissing war. I don't have an attitude nor will I ever have one toward this subject. I was stating a simple view and did not mean to come off in anyway fashion or form. I agree it is dangerous. Do I still do it, yes. Did I do it threw the day? Maybe twice? Was this in the back of my head? Yes.

In my honest opinion, Talking on cell phones, be that it's threw a head set, or bluetooth or whatever the case may be, is worse then texting. But I still rate texting up there. To me that road is still my number one thing to watch. I couldn't care less is if I did not make sense in a text message, or if I dropped my phone. I'll explain or pick it up when I'm at a complete stop, and the next two cars behind me are at a complete stop.

AUSTINSCOBRA

Established Member
just dialing a phone number while driving can be very dangerous. Cellphone can be very distracting while operating any vehicle. Good vid OP!

Users who are viewing this thread