The future of Shelby? SVT Cobra in 2015?

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I'd like to see an SVT Cobra come back. The Shelby name made its return, now that Shelby has passed on I hope Ford will get back to SVT.

There was an article in the SVTOA magazine on how SVT all but died in its exclusivity. It used to be when buying a SVT car or having it serviced there were special sales people and techs who were at the dealership. The dealership had to be a SVT dealer member or pay an increased fee to sell a SVT car. With the new One Ford program that Ford is doing this idea didn't fit the mold. I'm surprised SVT is still being badged on vehicles like the Raptor. SVT has been watered down to so much its barely there. Everything is umbrellaed under Ford Racing now, there's no more SVT phone line, SVT trained techs, or sales people. The know-nothing off the street salesman now has the right to sell you a Fiesta or a GT500. It was nice to go to the dealer back when you felt like you were going to be taken care of better if you had a SVT. You were given a loaner car free of charge which doesn't always happen now.

In short I'd like to see SVT come back and be elevated to a status such as that of BMW M, or AMG. If your driving a SVT you're an enthusiast and should be treated better than the soccer mom who gets her oil changed at Wal-Mart.

The SVT dealers are still in Canada. You can only get a GT500 through SVT dealers, oddly enough you can get the raptor anywhere.

cj428mach

Established Member
It mentioned in the SVT 20th anniversary edition MM&FF that ford built the first 93 Cobra's because if they didn't they'd lose the rights to the name Cobra. The Cobra's been gone now for 10 years, I wonder how long it is before they need to use the name before they lose it? Is it 15 years? it must not be very long because ford had the King Cobra's in the late 70's so 93 would be about 15 years.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The Shelby is Cobra, the Cobra name belongs on a two seat roadster. Hopefully to compete with vipers/vettes

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I always thought bringing back the SVT Cobra and losing the Shelby name would be preferable. But, if we are talking a blank sheet design...why use either. And, if you really stop and think about...WTF is a Mustang Cobra anyway? A snake with legs? A horse with scales?

Tapping...Not Driving.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i think the shelby name on the gt500 sells waaay more cars (and much quicker) than the cobra name alone does. people have trouble finding them now at msrp. people with that kind of cash are the baby boomers who now have $$ to blow on a car that brings back memories of the good old days. Shelby Mustang. ask them about a cobra and they'll probably think of the original a/c cobra roadster. but either way, numbers dont lie. they've been selling like hot cakes since 07. the only time they've sat around on the lots is when the beans were spilled about what was coming on the next year model (ie aluminum motor, recaros, etc...). maybe 100 people on the internet prefer Cobra over Shelby GT500 but im sure the masses dont. we have a few Ford salesmen on here. if they've been selling Fords since the 90s im sure they can chime in on what a boost adding Shelby to cars did, no pun intended :p

i do agree that if the mustang completely changes in 15 and loses the retro aspect than yeah maybe its time for the shelby name to retire. BUT, if they keep it...they will keep enjoying the ride. now what do you think the big wigs and stockholders want?? of course, if ford and SAI cant come to an agreement on $$ then it may not happen for that reason alone. something none of us would really be privy to, well maybe a handful of people here.

i bet you anything that GM would LOVE to have a golden name like Shelby for their camaros. maybe they can put Yenko on them lol

I always thought bringing back the SVT Cobra and losing the Shelby name would be preferable. But, if we are talking a blank sheet design...why use either. And, if you really stop and think about...WTF is a Mustang Cobra anyway? A snake with legs? A horse with scales?

Tapping...Not Driving.

because by now many people know what the mustang cobra is. espcially 40 and under crowd since svt came about in 93.

ford already found out the hard way what happens when you dump a well known/established name (taurus) and try to replace with something new and different. :bash:
and besides that, a cobra model means its badass! what else could they call it? stallion? arabian? clydesdale? lol. bronco?? :rolling:

Last edited:

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
I have a Shelby 'inspired" car and I absolutly love it wouldnt give it up for anything..And at 600plus rwhp Im just gettin started...........seems to work for me!!!!! Where would the Mustang be without him???Hard to really say........but I know where they are with "HIM"!!

PS..THANKS MR. SHELBY.............................................................

7.62x51

Established Member
Would it be blasphemy to re-badge a 2013 GT500 as a SVT Cobra?

Meaning, you own a 2013 GT500, take the Shelby logos off of it, add SVT/Cobra badges to it

redline

Established Member
well the shelby name will ba around .2015 could bring the shelby gt350 made by ford.what to fear is svt name not being around.there is rumor of a 5.2 liter motor , yeah a 5.2.

mach14604

Established Member
Wont happen.

Ford makes too much money with the Shelby moniker than without. Dealers would hate going back to having SVT's sit around the lot and barely being able to sell them at invoice when theyre used to old geriatrics buying up Shelby's for sticker price.

I think it will happen.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Would it be blasphemy to re-badge a 2013 GT500 as a SVT Cobra?

Meaning, you own a 2013 GT500, take the Shelby logos off of it, add SVT/Cobra badges to it

The 13 GT500 has more SVT and Cobra badges on it than it has Shelby badges.

Shelby name- on the back.
Cobra- seats, fenders, grille, fake gas cap etc
SVT- door sills, gas cap, supercharger, valve covers etc

The Shelby GT500 is really the Shelby GT500 SVT Cobra. Or however you want to mix the names around.

It's amazing that some of you here don't get that.

SVT builds and designs the car with a LITTLE input from Shelby. Sticking the name on the back is a mostly for marketing.

VictorySong

Established Member
because by now many people know what the mustang cobra is. espcially 40 and under crowd since svt came about in 93.

That's funny since Ford's use of the Cobra name on Mustangs pre dates the GT500.

1964 ad 1964 Ford Cobra Kit FoMoCo Original Vintage Ad CMY Store 4MORE Ads 5 Free SHIP | eBay

1965 ad:cobra performance ad in eBay Motors | eBay

Torino Cobras that ruled Nascar:

1969 Ford Performance Torino Mustang GT Cobra Car Mag 8 PG Ad 69 1968 1970 1967 | eBay

1969 Ford Torino Cobra Original Old Ad CMY Store 4MORE Great Ads 5 Free SHIP | eBay

1969 69 Ford Cobra H T Original Vintage Ad C My Store 4MORE Ads 5 Free SHIP | eBay

Herpy derp derp. GT5000 ermagawdz the history, the heritage. I wish I could ride in a slow ass car with shit handling just like I could back in 1967! Let me rush right down to that stealership.

How could Ford ever sell performance cars without Shelby? It isn't possible I tell you!

Last edited:

7.62x51

Established Member

The Shelby GT500 is really the Shelby GT500 SVT Cobra. Or however you want to mix the names around.

SVT builds and designs the car with a LITTLE input from Shelby. Sticking the name on the back is a mostly for marketing.

wow, your GT500 is drop dead gorgeous. I never thought I would consider any other color than black, but Deep Impact Blue is that color. I bet it looks insane in the sunlight after a fresh wax.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
That's funny since Ford's use of the Cobra name on Mustangs pre dates the GT500.

1964 ad 1964 Ford Cobra Kit FoMoCo Original Vintage Ad CMY Store 4MORE Ads 5 Free SHIP | eBay

1965 ad:cobra performance ad in eBay Motors | eBay

Torino Cobras that ruled Nascar:

1969 Ford Performance Torino Mustang GT Cobra Car Mag 8 PG Ad 69 1968 1970 1967 | eBay

1969 Ford Torino Cobra Original Old Ad CMY Store 4MORE Great Ads 5 Free SHIP | eBay

1969 69 Ford Cobra H T Original Vintage Ad C My Store 4MORE Ads 5 Free SHIP | eBay

Herpy derp derp. GT5000 ermagawdz the history, the heritage. I wish I could ride in a slow ass car with shit handling just like I could back in 1967! Let me rush right down to that stealership.

How could Ford ever sell performance cars without Shelby? It isn't possible I tell you!

i dont think you understood what i was saying there. the other guy said why call it a mustang cobra? i stated that "mustang cobra" is very well known amongst people in the 40 and under crowd. they were all over the place. guys and girls knew them, all the way till now. nothing about gt500 there. :shrug: i was saying that everyone knows what a mustang cobra is and it would be stupid to kill off the cobra name.

but since you posted up the grand torino cobra, do they sell for $200k on BJ? do people go apeshit over them? if so, maybe ford should call the 2015 a mustang torino cobra. that should draw the crowds in. i go to cars and coffee every now and then and sema every year and other various Ford shows. never really see any grand torinos anywhere. tons of shelbys and shelby clones. do they clone torino cobras? despite which one may actually be better, we allll know which one is more popular and desirable. its a no brainer.

had ford simply called the 2007 GT500 just "mustang cobra" there is no way in hell dealers would have been getting $30k over sticker on them like crazy. and people spending $100k on the KR, which many did.

Last edited:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member

Yeah svt has its name all over it as well as the cobra but just because the shelby name is on it is why it has a couple extra $$$ for no reason. Dont get me wrong I love the man and what he has done but I think the shelbys shouldnt be the top production model anymore, its had its run. A damn good one at that

VictorySong

Established Member
i dont think you understood what i was saying there. the other guy said why call it a mustang cobra? i stated that "mustang cobra" is very well known amongst people in the 40 and under crowd. they were all over the place. guys and girls knew them, all the way till now. nothing about gt500 there. :shrug: i was saying that everyone knows what a mustang cobra is and it would be stupid to kill off the cobra name.

but since you posted up the grand torino cobra, do they sell for $200k on BJ? do people go apeshit over them? if so, maybe ford should call the 2015 a mustang torino cobra. that should draw the crowds in. i go to cars and coffee every now and then and sema every year and other various Ford shows. never really see any grand torinos anywhere. tons of shelbys and shelby clones. do they clone torino cobras? despite which one may actually be better, we allll know which one is more popular and desirable. its a no brainer. .

Many people clone Torino Cobras and the originals bring plenty of money. I think YOU misunderstood me. You implied that the older crowd didn't respect the Cobra name on vehicles other than the roadster when that obviously isn't the case. If the older generation didn't have the recognition of the Cobra name outside of Shelby Ford wouldn't have spent years advertising it. So which is it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread