The law concerning shooting dogs

Last

Established Member
I live in a quiet neighborhood. My neighbor across the street from me has 2 dogs that regularly get out, they are very aggressive. Tonight I had to come help my elderly neighbor get out of their car and into their home since these dogs were at her car door barking and whatnot.

My question is: These dogs charge and come close in a very aggressive way, I had a crowbar tonight to ward them off, but what constitutes shooting one? I had my conceal carry on me, but I've never thought about shooting a crazy dog.

Edit: This is in Texas

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I live in a quiet neighborhood. My neighbor across the street from me has 2 dogs that regularly get out, they are very aggressive. Tonight I had to come help my elderly neighbor get out of their car and into their home since these dogs were at her car door barking and whatnot.

My question is: These dogs charge and come close in a very aggressive way, I had a crowbar tonight to ward them off, but what constitutes shooting one? I had my conceal carry on me, but I've never thought about shooting a crazy dog.

Have you notified animal control or talked to your neighbor?

Last

Established Member
Have you notified animal control or talked to your neighbor?

Done both. Animal control has came out twice and given the neighbors 1 ticket. The Neighbors speak English when they want to, but Spanish when you need something from them.

But that is not my question. What is the law concerning shooting a dog that is coming at you?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I think its ok as long as you yell "Theyre comin right for us!" before opening fire.

Seen it on an episode of South Park once, so its gotta be legit.

txyaloo

Established Member

In unincorporated areas of the state, it's pretty common to shoot unknown dogs, and it is legal to shoot them if they're attacking your livestock, but you're likely to get hit with an animal cruelty charge if you live in Austin proper or an incorporated area of Travis county unless the dog is directly attacking you or another person.

It's not something I would advise doing except in those situations.

I understand why you would consider it. I had a dog aggressively charge me several months ago after getting loose from the kid that was playing with it. I had my hand on my gun ready to draw and fire, but it changed directions with me yelling at it.

I would follow up with animal control and the police department again. Travis County/City of Austin does have a dangerous dog program. This is the best way for you to handle things.

You can file a notarized affidavit with the city regarding the attacks. If the affidavit is deemed credible, the dog will have to be registered, and the owner will be required to take out an insurance policy.

City of Austin - Animal Center Animal Protection

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/health/pets/downloads/bite_affidavit_0410.pdf

I believe the suburbs have a similar program as does Williamson County.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
if you are in danger and being attacked or say ur child god forbid, then kill it. you have the right to defend yourself

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I think its ok as long as you yell "Theyre comin right for us!" before opening fire.
:lol:

103_jimboshootsbear.jpg

Plant a knife on the dog after you're done shooting it
:lol:

U.M.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
I had the same problem in Comanche County, OK. Animal control did not service our AO because it is outside city limits. I called the Sheriff's office and was told:
1. Since it is legal to discharge a firearm outside of city limits technically I could.
2. Although it is not illegal to discharge a firearm in a housing edition (outside of city limits) if I hit a house or worse a person I could be in a lot of trouble.
With that information the deputy sheriff told me, yes I could shoot but is the risk worth it. The solution was for me to call the sheriff when I saw the dog but they (understandably) would come out when they could. After a couple of weeks the dog was gone.

Last edited:

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
As stated pepper spray would be a much better method than taking the risk of shooting the dog or dogs. Im sure the owners would speak in english rather quickly for the civil suit.

Last

Established Member
Too bad I can't set up bear traps in my front yard!!! Lol thanks txyaloo for your input. I'm I'm Williamson county, and the round rock animal control keeps driving out here to take care of these stupid mutts. It's such a waste of resources!

txyaloo

Established Member
Too bad I can't set up bear traps in my front yard!!! Lol thanks txyaloo for your input. I'm I'm Williamson county, and the round rock animal control keeps driving out here to take care of these stupid mutts. It's such a waste of resources!

Definitely don't do it in Round Rock. RRPD doesn't dick around. They're more "old school" than most LE agencies in the larger metro areas in Texas.

Round Rock does have an ordinance dealing with dangerous animals. I'd follow it. If need be, contact the LT in charge of animal control.

[email protected]
(512) 218-6656

Should any person desire to file a complaint concerning an animal which is believed to be a dangerous animal, a sworn, written complaint must first be filed with an animal control officer containing the following information:

(1)
Name, address, and telephone number of complainant and other witnesses;
(2)
Date, time, and location of any incident involving the animal;
(3)
Description of the animal;
(4)
Name, address, and telephone number of the animal's owner, if known;
(5)
A statement describing the facts upon which such complaint is based; and
(6)
A statement describing any incidents where the animal has exhibited dangerous propensities in past conduct, if known.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Definitely don't do it in Round Rock. RRPD doesn't dick around. They're more "old school" than most LE agencies in the larger metro areas in Texas.

Round Rock does have an ordinance dealing with dangerous animals. I'd follow it. If need be, contact the LT in charge of animal control.

[email protected]
(512) 218-6656

This! this pretty much applies to loose dogs as well. we had a little shit zu that was running around the neighborhood and called animal control a few times before the owner got the message that they were serious. I told them if I ever caught the dog I was taking straight to a kill shelter and have it put down as a known stray with no owner. between AC and my blunt wording they finally got the message. don't think I have seen the dog let alone the dog off a leash since.

I seriously heart the RR PD and Animal Control.

Users who are viewing this thread