The Official "Polished Exhaust" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeekmann

Established Member
The pipes look great. But doesn't bother you that they aren't level? That would bug the hell out of me. Not to mention it looks like it wouldn't take much for the pipe to have contact with the ground.

They are level now, it did bug me good eye :beer:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_2226CR2-1.jpg

IMG_2039CR2-1.jpg

IMG_2021CR2.jpg

IMG_2024CR2.jpg

nice man... i'm looking into the 3" Bassani catback just for the looks of the polished pipes

Zeekmann

Established Member
Zeekman that's insanely well done, did you use the same stuff 04sleeper advised or do something different?

Thanks! I did mine a tad different, I started with a 50 grit wheel did the whole pipe then used the 150. After that I worked my way all the way threw every wet grit paper. Took me and a buddy 12 hours plus took me an extra 5 hours by myself. Figured no point to put them back on if they were not perfect. I actually used beer on some of the wet sanding too, maybe that helped! :beer:

Last edited:

Heater

Just Bolt On's
Established Member
The picture is one I took back in the summer with my phone, so it's not the best picture.

164759_1544553930051_1121091629_31147386_2455511_n.jpg

VtekII

Established Member
^^ hey man, you can do it with any brand exhaust thats made of stainless steel...ie borla, bassani, magnaflow, stainless works, SLP, and pypes i believe all have stainless systems.

BUT they dont come like this, they are all hand sanded to achieve the polished look.

amilcarbello07

Established Member
^^ hey man, you can do it with any brand exhaust thats made of stainless steel...ie borla, bassani, magnaflow, stainless works, SLP, and pypes i believe all have stainless systems.

BUT they dont come like this, they are all hand sanded to achieve the polished look.

stupied question but with what and how

Emwun Garand

Established Member
So I'm guessing you can't do this with the Aluminized Steel MAC catback?

"NOTE: MAC Performance no longer offers their midpipes or catbacks with Durablack coating. They are now offered in Aluminized Steel versions. Aluminized steel is steel that has been hot-dip coated both sides with aluminum-silicon alloy. This process assures a tight metallurgical bond between the steel sheet and its aluminum coating, producing a material with a unique combination of properties possessed neither by steel nor by aluminum alone."

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
most people wet sand the pipes... i went from 220 all the way to 2000 and then used a buffing wheel. they turned out amazing thanks to kevins help gettin me started!

FWIW, I did not use a buffing wheel on mine. Cleaned it with Simple Green, then a couple stages of sand paper, then a crapload of Mothers polish. I only polished what was visible from standing behind or on the side of the car. I did not polish the entire catback, mufflers etc. Same visual effect for anyone behind the car.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I paid a guy $80 to polish the rear section of my old FR500 exhaust, but I'm sure I could have had it done for cheaper.

I have a question... If the rest of my car is filthy-dirty 90% of the time, would it look silly with a highly polished exhaust under it?

chaoticdismay

dr. hobo
Established Member
I paid a guy $80 to polish the rear section of my old FR500 exhaust, but I'm sure I could have had it done for cheaper.

I have a question... If the rest of my car is filthy-dirty 90% of the time, would it look silly with a highly polished exhaust under it?
No, it would not look silly. But I do find it hard to keep my polished catback clean (especially when the rest is dirty).

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator

If the rest of your car is filthy dirty 90% of the time, then you are not going to keep up on the exhaust. I would not waste your money as you are basically saying your car is never clean. This mod finalizes the look of the car from behind and completes a very clean car.

Not bashing, and only assuming based on your location it is very hard to keep a car clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread