Think again before gettin a HID "kit"

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
Oh man, I dont know if I could handle that. I have nightmares about contour headlights as it is!

And Ill tell you right now im not the first to do this with the CSVT. Their have been several before me who I took guidance from. Ill see if i cant dig up some pics of their setups (wayyyy better than mine!)

You should really look into some Hella 90mm Projectors, they have their own mounting hardware and make it pretty easy to retrofit (im using the 90mm High beams on my headlights). I havent seen the back of a mustang headlight, but i dont imagine it being too bad!

99-04 Mustang headlamps=

IMG_7384er.JPG

IMG_7385er.JPG

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Here is whats included in the www.illusion-lighting.com package:

Package Includes:
- (2) Philips D2S 4100k HID / Xenon bulbs
- (2) Hella D2 type ballasts with integrated ignitor
- (2) HID / xenon DOT-compliant low-beam projector lenses
- Plug-and-play HID wiring harness
- Custom design mounting.
- Reassembly and blueprinting of the headlamp beam pattern.
- Professional installation, testing and tuning.
- Illusion Lighting 1 year labor warranty.
- Original headlamp core reused.

Parts condition:
All electronics (bulbs and ballast) are new. The projectors have been cleaned using the latest in optics solutions. The result is a projector that shines like new.

Maybe us Mustang guys can get a GP going on this conversion? :beer:

Pudmunkies

Established Member
Wow nine hundred, I guess I saved myself some cash doing it myself :)

So stangs only have one reflector for low and high beams hmm? Bi-xenon projector would look cool in there. What would be even more awesome is a Bi=xenon from a lexus rx330, and figure out how to work the adaptive lighting (lenses turn the directon you do)

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
Wow nine hundred, I guess I saved myself some cash doing it myself :)

So stangs only have one reflector for low and high beams hmm? Bi-xenon projector would look cool in there. What would be even more awesome is a Bi=xenon from a lexus rx330, and figure out how to work the adaptive lighting (lenses turn the directon you do)

Yes, the Stangs use a single 9007 dual fillament bulb for hi/lows. The only alternative I have seen are aftermarket ones such as those above with a 'projector' lense that use 2 bulbs.

Adaptive lighting I care not about. Anyone done a bi-xenon on a Contour or other car?

Good info, this is the exact reason why I haven't gotten an HID kit yet. If I were to get an HID kit though, it would be phillips brand and it would also have to be 4300k or 6000k, leaning more towards the 4300k setup though.

Edit: That 97 Gt you showed....can you pm me with details on what was used and so on. I may need this in the future. I also wanna retain my brights.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
You can get Hi-Lo Xenon in your Mustang. It just costs a little more. You have the same conversion done but you get the Bi-Xenon assemblies from a Porsche or BMW. When you switch from Lo to Hi beam the lamp housing moves the little cut off scrim inside the lamp housing and moves the focus point of the lamp housing upwards at the same time.

Badfish

Banned
oldmodman said:
You can get Hi-Lo Xenon in your Mustang. It just costs a little more. You have the same conversion done but you get the Bi-Xenon assemblies from a Porsche or BMW. When you switch from Lo to Hi beam the lamp housing moves the little cut off scrim inside the lamp housing and moves the focus point of the lamp housing upwards at the same time.
costs 900 dolalrs for everything at the site 03 DSG said...theyre called Bi-xenons, they arent always from porches or BMWs

Badfish

Banned
Blk98Cobra said:
Good info, this is the exact reason why I haven't gotten an HID kit yet. If I were to get an HID kit though, it would be phillips brand and it would also have to be 4300k or 6000k, leaning more towards the 4300k setup though.

Edit: That 97 Gt you showed....can you pm me with details on what was used and so on. I may need this in the future. I also wanna retain my brights.
I have absolutley no info on it, sorry

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
I like my 12000k Mecca Tunes... Some glare, but nothing major.

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
HIDs are designed for use in projector housings. This is why poor results come from throwing HID kits into halogen housings. If you're going to upgrade to HID, you need to upgrade your housings.

203Cree said:
So does this apply to Silverstars as well?

No. Silverstars are Halogen.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
02YZ125 said:
I like my 12000k Mecca Tunes... Some glare, but nothing major.

Enjoy.... I've seen quite a few posts on how crappy they are...

and 12000K is EXACTLY the problem that people are having with HIDs :pepper:

Slowbra01

Established Member
So can someone make a write up on how to properly retrofit our stock mustang headlight housings? Step by step, some pix, and what is needed, as well as cost. it would be awesome!

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Slowbra01 said:
So can someone make a write up on how to properly retrofit our stock mustang headlight housings? Step by step, some pix, and what is needed, as well as cost. it would be awesome!

Teh interweb is your friend mang! Even though the following links are not EXACT writeups, they provide you with building blocks and step by step instructions on how to do the jist of things.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/car-with-oem-hid-projectors.htm

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

http://www.skafia.com/itr/hid/

^^While not pertaining to Mustangs, the above page looks like it is a good outline that one could follow throughout a HID retrofit.

THC

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
wow my car was referenced in a thread. that is my car with the 4300k kit. i have the xenon depot kit. i had experience retrofitting HIDs into my previous 99 m3 using Euro Ellipsoid lights that had the correct lens for the HID's. i always go with the 4300k kit as its the brightest and whitest. im don't particularly like the bluiish/purplish audi look. although i have the say that the s2000s had one of the best OEM HID setups from inside the car.

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
good info! im gunna look into possibly doing this. im still up in the air about whether or not i like how it makes the headlights look

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
BYEOFCR said:
thank u for posting this. I cant explain how many times, i curse out these guys running around with these HID lights that just blast right in my face, ****ing retards!they go out and buy these kits and just think its the coolest thing ever. I personally like the ones that come from the factory on the higher end cars, but i seen a kid driving a minivan with spinner hubcaps and hids that almost caused me to not see the turn coming up.

btw, has anyone ever noticed how many of those lights are stolen from those cars? I had a buddy with a newer maxima that had those and his lights got stolen 3 TIMES!!! twice from his house and once at the mall. He sold the car eventually and got a 01 cobra :thumbsup:

My teacher had them stolen off of his Lexus 3 times (xenons). :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread