Those That Have Replaced the TOB

Jefe

Established Member
Awesome thanks! Anyone know what size socket works putting the sleeve back in?

3166.jpg

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Its not a bad job Ive done it 3 times already...worst part is that top starter bolt and the one of the tranny to bellhousing bolts on the passenger side.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
My mechanic got the top starter bolt by coming from the front of the engine, through the opening in the motor mount with a long extention. He got so cocky that he put the bolt back in when putting it all back together.

But if you don't remove the bellhousing plus clutch and flywheel, then no need to touch the starter.

Good luck.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Ya Ive been watching the videos online from Spec about dropping the trans. Seems pretty easy if you take the shifter off. I have to anyways since I just put this trans fluid in 3 months ago. Ill just fill it back up from inside the car. Thanks for the tip on unbolting the brace last. I do have access to a trans jack but since the car will be 6 feet off the ground, I dont see a need when we have 4 able hands to pull it out and set it down. Any of you guys jacking the motor up to get at that last top bolt? Read on here it took some guy 3 hours to get the driveshaft bolts off too....Hope mine come off easily

Im going to inspect the clutch as much as I can but I dont feel like taking it apart so no go on the pilot bearing for now. Not looking forward to removing the mid pipe...If anyone knows socket sizes off the top of their head for some reason Id appreciate it. Anything to make this job less time consuming the better!

If you have access to a trans jack you would be foolish not to use it. Why take a chance of one of you losing your grip and dropping that transmission 6 feet to the concrete below? The T56 is heavier than you think. You also chance tweaking the input shaft once the guide sleeves clear and you suddenly realize the full weight of the trans. Putting it back in will be especially brutal without the jack.

zinc

Established Member
My thoughts were to drop the clutch for inspection of the disc and if you did that then to replace the pilot bearing. But if you arent even pulling the bell housing then just skip it. Pull the cross brace, shifter, driveshaft and unbolt it.

Jefe

Established Member
If you have access to a trans jack you would be foolish not to use it. Why take a chance of one of you losing your grip and dropping that transmission 6 feet to the concrete below? The T56 is heavier than you think. You also chance tweaking the input shaft once the guide sleeves clear and you suddenly realize the full weight of the trans. Putting it back in will be especially brutal without the jack.

Its an attachment onto a rolling jack so we would have to work under the car with only a couple feet of clearance and drop it onto it. Watching the guys in the Spec video pull it out looked simple but I see what youre saying.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Those attachment type trans jack adaptors don't work so great.
I had one and finally threw it out.. But honestly having pulled a Terminator tranny many times before, I would rather be on the ground with a low profile hydraulic trans jack then standing up with no jack at all. The bottom of the T56 is awkward so I place a couple foam pads on the top of the jack forming a nice V-shaped cradle to hold the trans securely with a cargo strap holding it cinched down tight. The tilting screws on the jack make for a perfect alignment and easy installation.
Here is the jack I use. Works nicely. Scrap the chains and use a ratcheting tie down instead.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
wjurls do you have the tilting screws towards the front or the back?

i usually put them in front (cranking attachment in back), but i was thinking about trying it the opposite next time. you are right about it not cradling directly to the bottom of the t-56

that is a good jack, has paid for itself many times over for me... harbor freight has some good stuff and cheap :rockon:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I have always used it with the controls on the jack towards the rear of the car. The problem I run into is that the front to back tilt knob sits a bit too high and so the trans sometimes interferes with it. I will just lift the tailshaft up manually a little and it gives me enough clearance to turn it. I bought some cylinder heads from some company on e-bay once and there were these thick black foam cusions in the box that work perfectly to cradle the trans.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member

Agree 100%:thumbsup:

We had the tranny in-and-out of my car 5 or 6 times when we were installing my RAM dual-disc clutch and it seemed to get heavier every time (and we we using a transmission jack)...:eek:

Digital

Established Member
37k miles, still feels great. I think we will since its all apart anyways. With the lift and my cousins(head dealership tech) help I dont think we would mind dropping it again if need be. Its nice having hookups

But if I go down that road, im looking at $1200+ to do it right. I have no plans in the next year or more of making more than 500rwhp or racing at the track so I should be fine

Used clutch is like 250-300$ and the other parts are like a few hundred, how'd you get 1200 out of that?

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I would get the Free Play Kit as mentioned earlier. It can be added after the fact but it will help save the new TOB. If at all possible I would also add a new clutch assembly but I understand in this case time is an issue. It is a lot of work to pull it all apart and not do the entire job, just something to think about. At a minimum I would also do the TOB sleeve. That is a must because in many cases that is where the TOB issues come from in these cars.

DSC00027.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
If im doing the clutch im doing it right, no used clutches for me. 26 spline input shaft, clutch and flywheel are almost $1k alone. Firewall adjuster, quick release quadrant and who knows what else....It adds up fast.

Stock clutch feels fine for now

Last edited:

kenswickedcobra

Established Member
If im doing the clutch im doing it right, no used clutches for me. 26 spline input shaft, clutch and flywheel are almost $1k alone. Firewall adjuster, quick release quadrant and who knows what else....It adds up fast.

Stock clutch feels fine for now

I agree if your gonna do it do it right the first time. No half azzing anything.:beer:

Jefe

Established Member
Tomorrows the big day...Picked up the TOB and just noticed the inner ring that spins does not sit flush around the outer area except in certain places when its spun. This is normal or do I need to head to Ford in the am?

2009-12-11-203035_970_10_180.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Getting started in 30 mins, anyone know if that looks right ^

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
^^ Yes, the bearing is fine. Mine was the same way. BTW, i'm the one who posted the TOB install HOW TO thread. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread