Thought about buying this wrecked 04 Cobra...thoughts?

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
It doesn't seem to be too bad. I just sold my 03 and was gonna wait a while before I got into another Cobra/Vette, but this might be a good deal. I really wanted to buy a low mile, garaged one for my next car. I'm going to be looking at it tomorrow. Its about an hour from where I live. The title isn't salvaged, but it has definately taken a good hit in the front.

http://www.linnsauto.com/index.cfm?id=3&num=F08-0852&order=a.make

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone ever build the front end of a Mustang before?

Thanks.

Jake :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I had a 97 Cobra wrecked MUCH worse than that 10K in parts and 10K in labor, you couldn't tell it had ever been wrecked.. (the right side of the firewall was pushed back approx 1.5" down low 1" up high) pretty much everything from the front of the firewall on the passenger side forward was replaced, front nose clip etc.. left inter fender was ok.. new hood both front fenders etc..

that's not too bad that a good body shop couldn't fix it..

EDs32vM1

S.W. Customs
Established Member
Does't look that bad ? Are you in the business, like bodyshop ?
If not paying retail for repairs may take you over the cost of it being a good deal. I own a shop and even then it gets costly some times, I see an easy 8 to 10k of repairs on that car.
You can find them for about 18k without going thru the trouble of fixing it.
I just picked up this one for 10k clean title, clean car fax. 7100 miles on the tach, its an 04, I'm putting a complete rebuilt Roney Crawford built motor in it.
I should be able to flip it easy.
DSC_1328.jpg

DSC_1329.jpg

Last edited:

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Holy crap nice find on the Mystic. No, I am not in the business and would only trust the repairs to a pro. You saying $6-7K in repairs does scare me.

Where did you find the Mystic for $10K?

Last edited:

EDs32vM1

S.W. Customs
Established Member
Holy crap nice find on the Mystic. No, I am not in the business and would only trust the repairs to a pro. You saying $6-7K in repairs does scare me.

I edit the comment, I was looking better at the pic's and the motor would have to be pulled to change the rails, to much money if you don't have a shop.
I would pay about 7k max for that car.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I think you would be absolutely nuts. I had a 98 Cobra that had been in an accident, and esthetically, it looked fine until you looked at small details, and you could really notice. It also had much less damage than the car you have listed, and it cost $13,500 to fix. $4k of it was airbags/safety equipment. It was also a rattle box afterwards. You have no idea how much subframe damage it has suffered either. I would rethink your idea.

Last edited:

EDs32vM1

S.W. Customs
Established Member

Where did you find the Mystic for $10K?

In California, I own a shop, I mainly fix Mustangs, I buy and sell as well.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Gotcha. We're gonna go look at it. When I was about 18 or 19 I had a truck that had the front end re built and it was just fine.

I think I'll be holding out for a garaged kept low mile Cobra/Corvette.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
If you feel like saving it go ahead. I saved my 03 cobra but it was a repo. It needed a ton of work but I saved it and know whats in it. I myself wouldnt go for a wrecked car especially when I didnt spend much more for my non wrecked repo but if you have the time and money then go for it.

not Jake

JakeLovesLeslie
Established Member
Well I plan on running the car 140+ mph when I'm done, so a wrecked car would make me nervous. And I planned on offering them $8K if I wanted it.

BlownReptile

Established Member
Avoid it. No guarantees with that car. Even if you get it fixed, its likely it will never be the same car it was pre-wreck. Also, like EDs said, you're looking at a good bit of money for repair there. Even if you were doing the work yourself, Id say you'd be gambling.

Users who are viewing this thread