Tight Belt is Important!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
All I got to say is I had belt slip with mine and the tensioner should've done its job by what is being said in here. Good tension, tight belt,...... Then we went shorter and bam. Fixed! I guess we all need the Reichard one then.

And just for the record I'm running a Whipple with a 3.5 upper and a 90mm idler to go along with it. You'd think that'd be plenty of belt wrap.

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
most people notch the tensioner which allows more force on the belt from the tensioner which is where people run into these issues with bearings going etc.
Yeah there is slightly more tension when opened beyond the notch, but it's not like night and day difference. I hardly think it's the kind of pressure to wear out bearings.
I guess we all need the Reichard one then... And just for the record I'm running a Whipple with a 3.5 upper and a 90mm idler to go along with it. You'd think that'd be plenty of belt wrap.
Great... more sh!t to buy! Just curious, is the 3.5 upper non-slip?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I agree with all of you but they could be using something like an elliptical cam to make the force more constant througout the range of motion.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Doesn't the tensioner need room to move under load situations? Mine was notched for that very purpose......

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Doesn't the tensioner need room to move under load situations? Mine was notched for that very purpose......
Observe the tensioner when you stab the throttle, it actually closes more to take up the slack from the belt stretching under load.

Users who are viewing this thread