Time to start the project

choppa

Established Member
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a few months. I got hit by a cop back at the beginning of the year, and my Stang's been sitting in the garage, collecting dust, ever since. Well, it's about time to start working on it now. The car's a 3.8 right now, but I'll be taking out the engine and tranny in a few weeks, and it's going to the body shop.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy a 4.6 block and have a shop put it together, but I just have a few questions about the blocks. This is the block I want to get, but I can't find anywhere how many horses the block is capable of holding, so can anybody help me out with that. My goal is to run 6's in the 1/8th, so if anybody has any suggestions on what heads/cams/pistons/etc. I should look into, please let me know. Thanks!

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
6's in the 1/8 is a deep 10 sec car.
you better build it well if you want it to last with that kinda hp.
i would go with some GT heads, CP pistions, manley rods(maybe even billet rods)
stock crank should be fine. get some cooling mods, head mod, water pump, and radiator,
also dont for get to get a good oil pump.

also check out the how to or sticky sections. quadqammer has a couple really good posts on how to build and boost your motor.

J

choppa

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I don't plan on using any cheap parts just to get by because I, obviously, want it to last a long time. So that block should be able to handle the horsepower, or should I look at another one?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just an FYI, but the Teksid block found in the 96-98 and some 99 cobras can handle 1000hp. And you can usually find them cheaper then $460. Plus it's aluminum so that'll save some weight off the front end to help weight transfer.

choppa

Established Member
Man that's the block I've been looking for, but I totally forgot the name! Where can I buy those? I looked on ebay that I only found 1 so far.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just keep an eye out. I've had one sitting in my garage I've been trying to get rid of for a few months. I've had a couple people say they're interested, then I never hear back.

NXSVTCOBRA

6's in the 1/8 is a deep 10 sec car.
you better build it well if you want it to last with that kinda hp.
i would go with some GT heads, CP pistions, manley rods(maybe even billet rods)
stock crank should be fine. get some cooling mods, head mod, water pump, and radiator,
also dont for get to get a good oil pump.

also check out the how to or sticky sections. quadqammer has a couple really good posts on how to build and boost your motor.

J

he'd definitely be overbuilding with the parts you listed. fwiw my old 01 ran 6.64's in the 1/8th with stock h/c/i stock crank, modmax rods, MAHLE replacement pistons (4032 forged) and a 200 shot with a few bolt-ons

NXSVTCOBRA

Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a few months. I got hit by a cop back at the beginning of the year, and my Stang's been sitting in the garage, collecting dust, ever since. Well, it's about time to start working on it now. The car's a 3.8 right now, but I'll be taking out the engine and tranny in a few weeks, and it's going to the body shop.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy a 4.6 block and have a shop put it together, but I just have a few questions about the blocks. This is the block I want to get, but I can't find anywhere how many horses the block is capable of holding, so can anybody help me out with that. My goal is to run 6's in the 1/8th, so if anybody has any suggestions on what heads/cams/pistons/etc. I should look into, please let me know. Thanks!

The block that you posted a link to is a 2v block, as stated you could find some good used early 90's - present aluminum blocks cheaper than that and they will handle more power. what is your power adder of choice for your quest of 6's? I'd say a stock crank, h beam rods and a set of quality pistons you'd be set. you could find heads (99-04 4v) on the board relatively cheap, all in all it should be a pretty cost effective (cheap)build for you if you don't go over board with unnecessary parts.

choppa

Established Member
Thanks for all the info. I don't really want to do nitrous, but I'm leaning towards maybe a ProCharger setup at this point. So the Teksid block is the one I should be looking for now?

NXSVTCOBRA

for your goals any aluminum block will work WAP or Teksid. Generally WAP blocks can be had cheaper but not by much. Try and find a stock crank and stock heads too, you could get away with stock h/c/i for your goals with boost

choppa

Established Member
When you say stock, are we talking about the stock 99-01 cobra heads and crank? I'm sorry, I'm trying to learn this stuf now.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
that block will be fine. but like said above you can get the teksid for pretty cheap and send it out for machining for your build

i personally run
CP 9cc pistons
manley billet rods
stock crank
stock head and cams
stock intake
procharger D1 at 19psi

but when i built my motor i had a p1sc on it now i have the D1sc and i may go twin turbo in the future with out ever having to open my motor back up

the price difference is only a couple hundred dollars if you do it right the first time.
instead of back tracking and paying to have it built again in the future cause you under built it the first time.
just my 3 cents

but if you know for sure you are only gonna want so much hp, then the cheaper parts will do just fine. just choose your battle wise

Last edited:

choppa

Established Member
Thanks again for the info.

no_slow_svt: That's the reason I didn't want to jump into this build before I asked you guys. My goals are a low-mid 6 second car that I can cruise with on the weekends as it won't be a daily driver. The reason I don't want to use stock parts is because if I do this build, I want to do it right. And I'm not knocking anyone who uses stock parts, because I know they work perfect, but it's just my preference I guess.

Koval7887

Established Member
y not just buy a cobra outright either in working order or with a blown engine...and then build ground up...

Users who are viewing this thread