Timing chain tensioner

jouellette_93

The Primary metal tensioner require a gasket, the plastic ones have a built in O-ring gasket, so to answer your question, yes they Both require a gasket to seal them on to the engine block.
So I have a 2003 lincoln navigator with the 5.4 dohc. Replacing the failed timing components with professional grade melling stuff. The tensioners are steel and have no gasket with them. So I will not need to add gasket maker before installing? I've never dealt with the steel ones but I bought better parts cuz I love my navigator and I came here for tips . TIA

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Is Melling still the preferred brand for timing components on our mod motors? About to do a set in my Lincoln town car…

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've always used Ford stuff for the timing components. Though I'd be surprised if they're not the same pieces with different names stamped on them.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I've always used Ford stuff for the timing components. Though I'd be surprised if they're not the same pieces with different names stamped on them.
Ford is more than double the price…for this car, it won’t see any high end part if I can avoid it. I’ve used Melling and cloyes with good experience but it’s been so long and the quality of everything has gone to ****.

Last edited:

jouellette_93

So I have a 2003 lincoln navigator with the 5.4 dohc. Replacing the failed timing components with professional grade melling stuff. The tensioners are steel and have no gasket with them. So I will not need to add gasket maker before installing? I've never dealt with the steel ones but I bought better parts cuz I love my navigator and I came here for tips . TIA

So should I use some rtv? Or order gaskets

01yellercobra

Established Member
Ford is more than double the price…for this car, it won’t see any high end part if I can avoid it. I’ve used Melling and cloyes with good experience but it’s been so long and the quality of everything has gone to ****.
The last time I did timing components I used the whole kit from FRPP. But I needed phasers at the time as it was on a 3V. IIRC I put plastic tensioners on that one because it was the wife's car and I knew it wouldn't be driven that hard.

Users who are viewing this thread