Tires...

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
I have the stock rims on my 01 cobra with some pos tires that were on the car when i got them. Iv noticed its about time to change my tires, however the KDW2's dont have a 245/45/17 and i searched through the search thread and saw that a few people asked this question before and members replied saying that a 275 is the biggest you could put on without any problems. Now the problem starts...I mentioned to my dad that there were no 245/45's and that i want to put on 255/40's but he says that once you change tire size from factory you run into problems. Any info on anyone experiencing problems changing such a minimal tire size?

Thanks

01vert

Established Member
Many different tire manufacturers have a variation in the actual width of tires sold as the same size ie: nitto DR 275s are smaller widthwise than other 275s

You are talking about 1/3 of an inch or so, not a lot. Also 03 and 04 cobras use a 275 front and rear with wider rims so these cars can use a wider tire.

I would treat a 245 and a 255 as the same animal, but I would want to know overall height with the different profile, as a smaller tire overall will make your wheelwells look even huger than with stock tires

Last edited:

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
thats pretty much exactly what I told my dad, but he seems to think that everything that I find on the internet on the forums is wrong.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Lol, problems? Nah, if anything the speedometer might be slightly off, not sure how tall those tires are compared to the stockers, but I wouldn't imagine much.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Only problem would be your speedo would be off slightly (1-2%). As long as the over-all diameter of the wheel/tire combo is close to stock and not so wide as to have rubbing then no problems. There are a bunch of tire size calculators on the interwebs that will help with fitment issues.

scotts99snake

Established Member
If you go to 1010tires.com, in the tech section they have a tire size calculator. You can play around with different tire sizes and find out overall height, revs per mile, etc. I realize it doesn't take into account differences in manufacturer sizes, but they are minimal between companies anyway. I have found it very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread