To stroke, or not to stroke....

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Talked to the machine shop, block has been decked, and cleaned. Waiting on the delivery man!!

01COBRA2668

Established Member
Just finished my engine after blowing a rod through the side of the original. Teksid block bored .20 over,forged Eagle 302 stroker kit w/ Comp stage 2 blower cams and a host of other go fast parts. KB 2.8 coming soon and I will be runnin 16-18 psi when all is said and done. If you don't plan to run a drag session from light to light you should be fine. BTW, compression is at 9.0:1 for the KB that is coming. What kit did you go with? If you plan to change cams or add headers later, do it now! engine will have to come back out to do these and you should not be charged for install at this time since the original pieces have to go back on anyway. Are you getting the heads worked on as well? Valve job? Good idea to get them done now too...

Last edited:

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Just finished my engine after blowing a rod through the side of the original. Teksid block bored .20 over,forged Eagle 302 stroker kit w/ Comp stage 2 blower cams and a host of other go fast parts. KB 2.8 coming soon and I will be runnin 16-18 psi when all is said and done. If you don't plan to run a drag session from light to light you should be fine. BTW, compression is at 9.0:1 for the KB that is coming. What kit did you go with? If you plan to change cams or add headers later, do it now! engine will have to come back out to do these and you should not be charged for install at this time since the original pieces have to go back on anyway. Are you getting the heads worked on as well? Valve job? Good idea to get them done now too...

My compression will be 9.1. I had new valve gaskets done a year ago on the heads. I will probably have them cleaned up a bit. Not cnc porting by any means, but cleaned up. I already have Kooks Long Tubes installed by the same shop. I would love to throw a set of cams in there as well. Where did you get yours, and how much?

01COBRA2668

Established Member
My compression will be 9.1. I had new valve gaskets done a year ago on the heads. I will probably have them cleaned up a bit. Not cnc porting by any means, but cleaned up. I already have Kooks Long Tubes installed by the same shop. I would love to throw a set of cams in there as well. Where did you get yours, and how much?

Discount Performance Parts-Todd-601-932-3881
Comp Cams-XE266BH-116 265/267 XE-R S/C Stage 2 4.6 cams-$975
Comp Cams-26123-32 4V Beehive Valve Springs-$319.00
Comp Cams-799-32 4V Steel Spring Retainers-$81.00

Over $1800 retail and I paid $1375 with free shipping and 2 free Comp t-shirts. If you call, tell him Mike with the 01' COBRA that ordered these sent ya!

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
All great points. I am leaning towards a Procharger D1SC for power adder, and plan on 14-16 lbs. of boost.....

Centrifugal superchargers make mad hp but you might want to give this some more thought. These things don't start to really work until 3000 - 4000 rpm. By that time you just blew thru half your rev range ("lag" is a term you will come to know very well :cuss:). The stroker will help with the loss of bottom end but the engine won't be as "happy" at high rpm as a stock stroke 4.6 (remember that engine geometry thing we spoke of). I would plan on keeping the revs lower then you would with the stock stroke mill. That creates a dilemma for the centriffy blower that likes to play closer to redline. Chances are 99.9% of the miles you put on the car will be on the street where that blower won't get as many opportunities to stretch it legs over a positive displacement blower which is "Boost On Demand" and makes power EVERYWHERE! That coupled with the added bottom and mid-range torque of the stroker will shock anyone foolish enough to take you on at a stop light how effortlessly your car just put two bus lengths on them without even breaking a sweat :eek: You’ve moved the power band of the engine down now use the geometry of the longer stroke to its advantage. An engine built to produce power in the low and mid-rage will be more reliable and will last longer. A Whipple AX-140 would get my vote. The installation will be a little more involved but in the end you will have something that works “all the time” rather then just “half the time”. Just compare the torque curbs between both blower tells the whole story plus the car doesn’t sound like a giant Hoover.

Trust me on this one dude. I am sure someone with a centrifugal blower will take exception with my suggesting there are a few downsides to that type of installation but from my perspective that argument is an uphill battle especially if the car will be driven primarily on the street.

Keep us posted on your build :beer:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Centrifugal superchargers make mad hp but you might want to give this some more thought. These things don't start to really work until 3000 - 4000 rpm. By that time you just blew thru half your rev range ("lag" is a term you will come to know very well :cuss:). The stroker will help with the loss of bottom end but the engine won't be as "happy" at high rpm as a stock stroke 4.6 (remember that engine geometry thing we spoke of). I would plan on keeping the revs lower then you would with the stock stroke mill. That creates a dilemma for the centriffy blower that likes to play closer to redline. Chances are 99.9% of the miles you put on the car will be on the street where that blower won't get as many opportunities to stretch it legs over a positive displacement blower which is "Boost On Demand" and makes power EVERYWHERE! That coupled with the added bottom and mid-range torque of the stroker will shock anyone foolish enough to take you on at a stop light how effortlessly your car just put two bus lengths on them without even breaking a sweat :eek: You’ve moved the power band of the engine down now use the geometry of the longer stroke to its advantage. An engine built to produce power in the low and mid-rage will be more reliable and will last longer. A Whipple AX-140 would get my vote. The installation will be a little more involved but in the end you will have something that works “all the time” rather then just “half the time”. Just compare the torque curbs between both blower tells the whole story plus the car doesn’t sound like a giant Hoover.

Trust me on this one dude. I am sure someone with a centrifugal blower will take exception with my suggesting there are a few downsides to that type of installation but from my perspective that argument is an uphill battle especially if the car will be driven primarily on the street.

I had a similar dilemma when I installed my aviator longblock (with the 03 cobra style heads/cams). This head/cam combo produces power lower in the RPM range and doesn't rev as high. I was rewarded with lower RPM Power, but less peak power, and since the old motor revved about 750 RPM more than the new motor, the blower made less boost. As mentioned above, you'll have a similar situation.

To compensate, simply get a smaller blower pulley. That way, you make more boost lower in the RPM range. Simple as that!

Homer

SSeatr

Established Member
just finishing my stroker flat top pistons notched valve relief should be around 10 to 10.25 CR i plan on putting a F1 or twin 62's :)

higher CR makes good power with less boost.

of course im going with a safe tune, i will have one radical track tune though, we'll see what kind've power she makes at 8lbs, 12lbs, 16lbs, 25lbs, 30lbs with my CR once everything gets going i will create a thread.

not sure if im going centri or twins yet though. keep an eye out!

Last edited:

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Discount Performance Parts-Todd-601-932-3881
Comp Cams-XE266BH-116 265/267 XE-R S/C Stage 2 4.6 cams-$975
Comp Cams-26123-32 4V Beehive Valve Springs-$319.00
Comp Cams-799-32 4V Steel Spring Retainers-$81.00

Over $1800 retail and I paid $1375 with free shipping and 2 free Comp t-shirts. If you call, tell him Mike with the 01' COBRA that ordered these sent ya!

Awesome man, thanks!!:beer:

Well, my car on motor was pretty quick. So I figured even though the centrifugal needs to build rpm's, it will still be a blast to drive. I worry that positive displacement blower will have to much low end to control. On motor, my car would blow the tires of until third gear. On spray, forget about it. I wouldn't spray till the end of second, then hit third hard. I just want the car running, break her in, then figure out what money will allow. And, I would love to sound like a 747!!!:pepper:

just finishing my stroker flat top pistons notched valve relief should be around 10 to 10.25 CR i plan on putting a F1 or twin 62's :)

of course im going with a safe tune, i will have one radical track tune though, we'll see what kind've power she makes at 8lbs, 12lbs, 16lbs, 25lbs, 30lbs with my CR once everything gets going i will create a thread.

I will be watching!!!:pop:

SlowSVT

Established Member

A 10:1 - 10.25:1 FI engine will make "good power" but it won't make "great power".

Shudda gone for a set of 8.5:1's :nonono:

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member

I run an eaton currently and if I were forge my lower end a whipple would be in mine with the ported heads/cams I already have waiting for it. I have noticed that the centri power comes on smoother though. I just feel like the car pulls then hits boost and goes right through the rpms and makes more boost. Its not the instant whack that PD blowers give. For a street car you can't go wrong with a PD blower. I just wish somehow we could run an air to air intercooler setup like the turbo and centri guys do. We have a little thing called heat soak that they can get around much easier than we can. I am not a fan of meth, but I know that solves a lot of people's issues with heat soak or a small shot on N20.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
I run an eaton currently and if I were forge my lower end a whipple would be in mine with the ported heads/cams I already have waiting for it. I have noticed that the centri power comes on smoother though. I just feel like the car pulls then hits boost and goes right through the rpms and makes more boost. Its not the instant whack that PD blowers give. For a street car you can't go wrong with a PD blower. I just wish somehow we could run an air to air intercooler setup like the turbo and centri guys do. We have a little thing called heat soak that they can get around much easier than we can. I am not a fan of meth, but I know that solves a lot of people's issues with heat soak or a small shot on N20.

This was another concern of mine. I love the sound of centri superchargers with a shiny front mount intercooler, and wicked bov!!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread