Too much NAAAAWS =BOOOOOOOM!!!!!! (56K pack a lunch)

Gixx1300R

Established Member
Yea I would agree,either the Torque converter or the Flywheel grenaded. I have seen this before on race cars. Big Daddt Don Garlits lost some toes from the same thing. a Ballistic shield or a Kevlar blanket will help with safety.

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
That happened in Rockingham.

He was shooting for a new best IIRC, and that Jeep would drag 99% of you...950whp is what I hear

Nitrous had nothing to do with what happened in those pics, but thanks OP for yet another OMFGdidyagetagoodlookatthat nitrous explosion thread :rolleyes:

No prob, any time!! LOL :beer:

Jefe

Established Member
Lol what a loser. SRT's always think they are the shit. Especially jeeps. Guess not.

Idiot. That Jeep had over $80k in it and put down almost 1000AWP. Ya real loser:nonono:

The Jeep was sitting in the parking lot when it blew up. Had nothing to do with nitrous, it was the way the transmission was incorrectly built. Amazing it lasted as long as it did.

Heres the build thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...35317-1000hp-jeep-build-cherokeesrt8-com.html

Heres the huge story on what happened:

Well its been quite a few months. Just signed onto the Jeep forums and found this:

Well seeing as Brian is still driving home from us we thought we'd let you all know the results of todays dyno tuning, A New World record for a Srt8 jeep and the late model Hemi motor Period! BJB is now No1. with 921rwhp and almost 900lb's of torque, and for the record the vehicle was dyno'd in 4x4 mod and done on a superflow dyno. and the tune was still very rich to cover for the cold weather and some safe racing on saturday night.
Saturday will now be the first time this beast has been to the race track fully prepped and finished correctly, watch out for some seriously quick et's if this old girl hooks up.

Congrats Brian and great to see all the time and money now paying off and it was a pleasure to have tuned it for you.

Dynosteve RDP Motorsport

Sorry no vid.

Now the bad news

High speed Hell...it was not even moving!
Next to the trailer.
I was standing right next to the passenger door that contained the shrapnel and DynoSteve was in the driver seat.

At first I thought it was the supercharger that let loose because it was so friggen loud, but as i looked at my feet I saw planetary gear pieces etc....all on fire.
As most realize, tranny fluid is pretty Damn flammable.:eek:
I saw Steve and he pulled the cable on the fire suppression system that unfortunately did no good for this fire. He had a time getting out with the roll bar and burnt his hand. Tonight I'll bet he finds some other ouches.

Someone was looking out for Steve because if the tranny let loose 1/3 of one revolution earlier, the shrapnel would have come through the driver side.

BJB was about a half hour from the disaster on his way to the track.
That was a tough phone call for Steve to make.
BJB takes things in stride though.
I don't see myself taking it nearly as well as BJB.
Bill
Well, where do you start?? As we have all said, so glad know one was hurt or killed. And when you see the pictures, maybe some have already been posted, it is easy to see anyone sitting in the passenger seat would have been hurt. Steve's laptop has a slice out of the top of the screen. Builder Bill may have wrecked a good pair of underwear!!

Here is what we know so far. The Jeep was backed out of the trailer and Steve was driving through the parking lot. He said it felt a little strange while driving. It has a spool in the rear, but he said it was a different strange feel. Builder Bill was commenting on how well it was running and idling. Dyno Steve has worked very hard on this tune and you can't ask for anything more. It makes great power, it has 90lb injectors and idles as smooth as silk around 790 rpm. The tune this time was perfect. As Steve drove just a short distance around the lot he had stopped and the vehicle was in neutral. Builder Bill was over by the passenger door talking to Steve. Steve was just massaging the gas peddle, nothing crazy high on RPM's and Boom!! The explosion sent parts everywhere. The transmission fluid ignited on the headers and there was a fire in the cabin. The fire suppression system was activated, that instantly cuts all power and sprays Halon? (I know Halon has been banned just like Vinny:D, but it was some sort of clean agent) however it only sprays in the engine bay. That left Steve slapping flames with has hands, until extinguishers arrive.

This should be a lessen to everyone. I think we all are safety conscious while we are in the staging lanes and on the track. But safety needs to start as soon as the vehicle is out of the trailer. Who would think anything like this would happen driving through the parking lot.

So, what went wrong?? The transmission builder is going to do a "postmortem" on Tuesday. He said even with minimal parts a cause will be determined. Some of the speculation. Some sort of installation issue with the adapter plate / flex plat / alignment. Seems unlikely since it has been on the dyno for numerous pulls. Torque converter? (it was a 3200 stall provided by the transmission builder) A issue of higher rev's while in neutral. Or maybe the HP exceeded the capacity of the trans. It was rated for 1200 hp. 921 at the tires on a AWD vehicle puts it close to that number at the crank. These are the area's that will be looked into. All parts have been collected for inspection and the vehicle will be put on a lift back at RDP for the inspection. Should know something by Tuesday. Here are the photo's that I took with my cell phone.

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0789-1.jpg

IMG_0788-1.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0790-1.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

What happens now??

Well, I purchased another 2007 Jeep last week. RDP will be building me a twin turbo come the first of the year. We will be using a Paramount Performance Transmission and Transfer case (Got that Bill:D) This vehicle will be a fully upholstered, caged, street legal monster. I have already started a thread over on my other site on this build.

The Supercharged Jeep. It has bad karma! I have tried and tried with this and it is time to move on. DynoSteve was going to drive back to Painseville last night but decided to spend the night. Boy was that a mistake!! Seeing the interior is Fuc&@d anyway;) this will be gutted. The motor will be inspected and reinstalled. Not all the details have been worked out, but it will be 2wd full cage mini tub's lexon window's, 1 seat, 2 parachutes, wheelie bar, track only machine. Hey Carl, you want some?? LOL I will be starting a thread on this soon.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.:cheers:

DSC02485.JPG

DSC02489.JPG

DSC02480.JPG

http://www.lchevere.com/BJB/BJB.wmv

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
that sux, but the owner doesn't seem to be to upset

He already bought another Jeep:rockon: He knows what hes doing now. Matter of months before its in the 9's or faster. TT's!

Last edited:

*TK*

COBRO
Established Member
The driver, if he is still alive, is lucky to be. Look at all that Shrapnel...

VAMPIR3

Established Member
Those big jugs of NAWZ looks like he is lookin to rocket to the moon:eek::lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread