TORQJNKY's 2013 GT500 engine build thread

NametoShowOther

Established Member
Live in texas and have not got any issues with just a back plate.

But just ordered the no drill mount as planning a drive to Vegas and thought do not need too many risks of tickets

TORQJNKY

Good luck on the build bud....lots of nasty new combos coming out this year. I kicked around big twin screw myself but im sticking with the TVS out of sheer determination to push the 2.3 like you are doing with the 2.9....best of luck with the build...maybe ill see you at MIR

Yeah man! I've been following your build as well. It would be cool to meet up with some of the forum guys I only really know by screen name. :D

Tytus2012

Established Member
Craig after you are done with the engine will there be any weak spots engine wise? I am new to alot of this stuff and learning as I go. Just seems I might be interested in this later on to but I have a KB 2.8LC.

TORQJNKY

Craig after you are done with the engine will there be any weak spots engine wise? I am new to alot of this stuff and learning as I go. Just seems I might be interested in this later on to but I have a KB 2.8LC.

I'm in the same boat, learning as I go. I chose not to sleeve the cylinders for my application. I guess if I ever decided to run big boost, probably north of 25psi, that might become an issue. But I am not 100% certain. I would have to let one of the more educated engine guys in here answer that. I'm sure there are many more things you can do and much more money you can throw at a build to an engine to make it more bullet proof.

TORQJNKY

looks like a fun build...good luck and have fun with it...you already have a great looking car why not make it a monster...

Excellent choice for an engine builder!

:rockon:

Good luck buddy. She sure will be a beast.:beer:

Your car was incredible as it sat... can't wait to see the rest!! :beer:

Damn..you aren't playing around Craig! Good luck with it!

One Ultra Clean Mean driving machine! I LOVE IT....:burnout:

Awesome Craig! Can't go wrong with MPR! :rockon:

Looks great. :beer:

Good luck Craig, looking forward to your results!
-J

Thanks guys. If anything, I'm looking forward to a little piece of mind when I stab the throttle or even making dyno pulls. :burnout:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Craig the only issue I have seen from my own build was the spray bore coating was thinner in some spots as little as .003 where its supposed to be .010 , thats the reason we sleeved mine. Also the cylinders on mine were between .005-.009 out of round. My 2012 motor had 6,000 miles on it at the time it was pulled.

Jay

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Craig the only issue I have seen from my own build was the spray bore coating was thinner in some spots as little as .003 where its supposed to be .010 ,
Jay

I had this same issue with my plasma coat but at the same time I'm also confident more POWA is coming in the future so sleeving worked for me....I know myself too well :burnout:

TORQJNKY

Craig the only issue I have seen from my own build was the spray bore coating was thinner in some spots as little as .003 where its supposed to be .010 , thats the reason we sleeved mine. Also the cylinders on mine were between .005-.009 out of round. My 2012 motor had 6,000 miles on it at the time it was pulled.

Jay

I had this same issue with my plasma coat but at the same time I'm also confident more POWA is coming in the future so sleeving worked for me....I know myself too well :burnout:

Thanks Jay and DOC. We'll see what Tim says after he has time to go through the short block when he gets it. He's already provided me a quote to sleeve the block when I asked him about it yesterday.

1320 Junkie

Established Member

Same here...already looking at 4.0 whipple for mine...Grabber blue 4.0 would look bad ass on top.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Craig I would sleeve it since its already out, you have pretty much addressed any other possible weak points. Since you are gonna run E85, that engine should be good to go for anything. Wait for Tim E. to give you the measurements and see where they stand now

TORQJNKY

Craig I would sleeve it since its already out, you have pretty much addressed any other possible weak points. Since you are gonna run E85, that engine should be good to go for anything. Wait for Tim E. to give you the measurements and see where they stand now

I spoke to Tim E. this morning on sleeves for my application and he will definitely take a look at it. He built the Lethal Performance "Snow White" 2013 GT500 motor which had relatively the same mileage as mine (3600 miles). That motor with a 4.5L Whipple on E85 making 1250RWHP is not sleeved. I think a 1000RWHP street only GT500 is safe without sleeves barring no damage to the cylinder coating. My car will see nowhere near the beating that Lethal's car takes on the track.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I spoke to Tim E. this morning on sleeves for my application and he will definitely take a look at it. He built the Lethal Performance "Snow White" 2013 GT500 motor which had relatively the same mileage as mine (3600 miles). That motor with a 4.5L Whipple on E85 making 1250RWHP is not sleeved. I think a 1000RWHP street only GT500 is safe without sleeves barring no damage to the cylinder coating. My car will see nowhere near the beating that Lethal's car takes on the track.

Yea, I know he has built some really nice motors. I agree with you I just figure since its there already why not? also look into upgrading the oil pump gears, seen a few of those fail on high hp applications that were not being beat on.

Van@RevanRacing

I think you might need a bigger supercharger to hit that 1,000 RWHP mark TORQJNKY. We just made 1,072 RWHP on an L&M Engine with 9.5:1 pistons and L&M cams with a KB 3.6 at 25 PSI and E-85. So if you can spool the Whipple 2.9 to 25 PSI (not sure what the range is for that supercharger) you should get pretty close. sub'n

TORQJNKY

I think you might need a bigger supercharger to hit that 1,000 RWHP mark TORQJNKY. We just made 1,072 RWHP on an L&M Engine with 9.5:1 pistons and L&M cams with a KB 3.6 at 25 PSI and E-85. So if you can spool the Whipple 2.9 to 25 PSI (not sure what the range is for that supercharger) you should get pretty close. sub'n

I know Van, it's a pipe dream :D. I'll see what it will do with a 10% lower and 2.70 upper for now. My car is a Track Pack car so as you know, unless I delete the oil cooler and lines or make a custom fitting, I can't get a 15% lower on. My crank and 10% will be double keyed so it's ready to upgrade to a bigger blower with a 15% lower if and when the time comes.

TORQJNKY

Yea, I know he has built some really nice motors. I agree with you I just figure since its there already why not? also look into upgrading the oil pump gears, seen a few of those fail on high hp applications that were not being beat on.

It's also getting a new FRPP oil pump with billet gears as well. I updated that in my OP yesterday. :beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I know Van, it's a pipe dream :D. I'll see what it will do with a 10% lower and 2.70 upper for now. My car is a Track Pack car so as you know, unless I delete the oil cooler and lines or make a custom fitting, I can't get a 15% lower on. My crank and 10% will be double keyed so it's ready to upgrade to a bigger blower with a 15% lower if and when the time comes.

The custom fitting shouldn't be too bad and if you're going this far, probably good to do know in case you need the big lower later.
Maybe Birdoc's guy can duplicate his and sell you one :shrug:
Can't wait to here your results.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread