Toyo Proxes R888R vs Nitto NT555R2

Davisenvy

Established Member
Sorry if this has been run into the ground, but I have a few questions the other threads don't answer. My car is a 2003 Cobra with a VMP 2.3 and about 600 rwhp. I currently have the Toyo R888r and like them. Before the toyos I had some Mickey Thompson ET Streets and absolutely hated how the soft sidewall made my car wallow all over the road. I live in the Mountains of NC so I will be driving on some curvy roads. Will the Nitto NT555R2 feel more like the MT or the Proxes? I'm reading good things about the Nittos' but don't want them if the sidewall is too soft.

I do not drag or track my car.

LS WUT

Established Member
I can’t speak on the R888’s lately. I have the RII’s on a few cars. My brother has them on his C7 corvette, we have them on the C4 corvette, on the blue foxbody, etc. they’ve been awesome for us. I had ET SS on my white coupe, redfire coupe, and my built Camaro. Loved them as well.

Davisenvy

Established Member
I like the R888R's, but thought I'd try something else. Maybe a little better traction, wear, noise, availability, etc. I'm not against going with the Toyo's again, just thought I'd try something else. My cousin swears by the ET's, but they just weren't for me. I tried to air them up and down and no matter what the back end seemed to wallow around, straight line and definitely on the back roads.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I have R888Rs on the front 275/40, and MT ET Street Rs 315/35. Im at 650w. I plan on keeping this setup unless I change rims. Even then I’ll probably go with the same tires. They have worked well for me.

I had Nittos on the front for a bit and they were fine. I just like the Toyos.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Stick with the R888R's if you want handling. All drag radials have softer sidewalls. It helps them absorb the hit. A side effect is the wallowing feel. I have TQ's now and while it's not horrible, there's a noticeable difference between these and the R888R's. I actually miss the handling of the R888R's and will be going back to them once the TQ's are done.

Davisenvy

Established Member
Stick with the R888R's if you want handling. All drag radials have softer sidewalls. It helps them absorb the hit. A side effect is the wallowing feel. I have TQ's now and while it's not horrible, there's a noticeable difference between these and the R888R's. I actually miss the handling of the R888R's and will be going back to them once the TQ's are done.
This is what I was wanting to know and kind of wanted to hear. Thanks for everyone's input..

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

This. The reason you didn't like the MTs is because they are drag radials. The 555s are drag radials.

Users who are viewing this thread