Track Key - Everything you need to know!

manOwar

Established Member
Jeff Seaman, Mustang powertrain engineer, tells us everything you need to know about the TracKey | Mustangs Daily

Undoubtedly one of the coolest things about the 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 is the TracKey. This exclusive feature of the Boss 302 utilizes a dual-path PCM to allow for the car to be operated in normal mode with the standard key and in TracMode with the TracKey. It’s an industry first, and proof that Ford’s engineers have the enthusiasts in mind when it comes to the Mustang.

Since its release Ford has been somewhat vague about how TracKey exactly works and how owners will be able to use it, so at the recent Boss 302 media drive we sat down with Jeff Seaman, the powertrain management team leader for the Ford Mustang, who answered all of our questions about the TracKey. Some of it you might already know, but hopefully there are a few things you might learn. Enjoy!

Explain the background behind TracKey and how it came about

The whole original concept started to take shape with a bunch of Mustang enthusiasts. This was not someone at a high level checking a box and telling us that it’s time to start pursuing this type of technology. This was a fully developed skunkworks operation. There were four amazing people that we went out and literally recruited through Ford Motor Company. We got some of the best people from the calibration side in order to develop a feature that was completely off the wall. The first comments internal to Ford were “You’ve got to be kidding me, there’s no way that we’re going to do that.” We heard that so many times that we went off into a corner and developed an amazing concept that is first in the industry.

So explain to us how Trackey works and what it does

First off, this isn’t just “modify a couple of parameters and deliver something a little bit different.” It’s not a tuned calibration. This is a completely independent dual-path calibration. So you’ve got a normal mode that operates with good drivability, good fuel economy, good NVH, no clunks, no bumps. I call it the “sippin’ your latte calibration.” You can drive, you can drink a cup of coffee. It’s tamed, streetable. If you want something off-road to go run on a racetrack, or when you just want to go when you step on the accelerator, that’s what TracKey calibration is.

What are some of the features of TracKey?

You have a unique variable cam timing schedule, which basically makes some trade-offs for stability and NVH, but it delivers power without any compromise to performance. You’ve got no skipshift, because if you’ve got to go somewhere in a hurry, you’re not going to skip shift. You’ve got a unique spark table with aggressive spark gains designed for high octane fuel. Again, everything is based on performance. There’s also lopey idle, which is done by adjusting variable cam timing to give you a certain amount of overlap. Valve overlap gives you that “babupp, babupp, babupp!” type of feel to it. If you think it’s great, then listen to it with the exhaust plate out, and it’s that much better. Launch control! Launch control was originally designed as a cookie feature, so it’s not something that is not something were you can go to the menu and select launch control. We’ll give people instructions on how to do it, but it is very much a unique, neat hidden feature that we’ve provided in the car. It makes anybody an instant drag racer.

Is the TracKey 50 state legal?

The TracKey passes emissions, is 50 state legal, and will have an EO, which means it’s legal for sale and passes emissions. That’s the only tradeoff that we didn’t make for the car.

What’s the process for Boss 302 customers to get a TracKey?

When you purchase the car you have two keys – a black key and a red key. Both keys run the exact same calibration until, after point of sale, you go to a Ford Racing dealer and they re-flash your powertrain control module. When they do that, they learn the red key to be track mode, and the grey key remains base mode. Once you purchase this from Ford Racing, you have a unique calibration for track mode and base mode.

How close is the TracKey calibration to the one for the Boss 302R?

The Boss 302R is not an emissions legal calibration, so we took that as a base, and we applied what lessons we learned – what works well in this car – to make it a racetrack-ready calibration.

About how many parameters have been changed?

When we originally started off and wrote the first press release we had a great calibration setup. We had about 200 parameters, and we ran with that number. Well, like any skunkworks operation, we never stopped thinking, we never stopped developing. When we got to the actual first evaluation of it, it was close to 300. Now it’s close to 400. What we’ve fundamentally changed are the launch control RPM limiting, which was quite significant, and a significant amount of refinement to the lopey idle to make it a robust calibration.

Are there any changes to the power delivery, such as the torque curve?

Absolutely. From an advertisement standpoint, we are not going to say that the TracKey gets you anything more than the base key. You’re welcome to go find out for yourself – it’s just the flip of a key. The low end torque is improved substantially, again making tradeoffs for basic drivability in order to deliver performance at all cost.

Is premium fuel required?

With the Boss 302 you can run on regular fuel, although premium is recommended. The TracKey is premium only.

Will there be further developments to the TracKey?

We never stop developing this car. The truth is, the TracKey will be on sale through a Ford Racing dealer soon, but we view this as a beginning.

Does this mean that software updates could be available later on?

That sounds like a great idea! We view TracKey as revolutionary. It’s really a change of anything that anybody offers. Nobody else offers the ability to run two independent calibrations on a car. You can easily sit down and come up with 50 or 60 different applications for how you would do it in the future, what content you would include and how you would tie it into additional systems. All of that is part of the skunkworks operation that will continue churning as long as there are creative, hardcore engineering folks at Ford.

What do you think the take rate will be?

Based on the feedback I’ve had so far, I’d be surprised if anybody wouldn’t want a TracKey.

Is there a reason you chose red to represent the TracKey?

That was sort of an inside joke that came from our chief engineer. There’s a movie reference in there. You’ve got the black key, and you’ve got the red key. You can be happy with the black key, or you can take the red key and maybe you won’t go back, but there’s time to walk away!

Do you consider the TracKey fairly usable for daily driving?

It really depends on what you want. My son loves the red key, but my wife won’t drive with it. There are times when lopey idle is a fun thing, and there are other times like when you are going to pick your dry cleaning up when you think “this isn’t for me.”

Do you see competitors trying to offer something similar?

Yes, we’ve already heard rumblings from the aftermarket of wanting to immediately catch up. The craziest thing is that when we were doing this, a lot of the guys were like “I can’t believe this is the first time anybody has ever done this!”

Do you see this as strictly a Boss 302 feature or do you see this making its way into other products?

I think it’s too early to tell. I think the basic concept is something that’s a game changer, and it will be interesting to see what other applications there are for it. As of right now it’s a Boss 302 exclusive feature. The whole concept of a dual path calibration is something that is very unique and very innovative, and we’ll have to see where that leads. I’ll tell you what; it’s spawned a lot of discussion both inside and outside of Ford.

One last question – how much will the TracKey cost?

$302.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiWSr-Ax8K4"]YouTube - Ford Racing Boss 302 TracKey Development[/nomedia]

Here's a sweet youtube video of the Boss 302 comparing the track key with the regular key. (I just posted the link. How do you embed youtube videos in the forum?)

The track key adjusts the cam timing with some major overlap to give it a NAASSSTY sounding idle. Nuts.

I'm pretty sure that once tuners become more familiar with the new software, they'll be able to do similar things with, say, a flip chip on a Mustang GT.

Fuerza

Established Member
I think, once tuners get a hold of these cars the track key become obsolete. I mean, we modify our cars because we want more performance from them. I can't see paying $302 for a key when I can get a tune....

MrBonus

Established Member
I think, once tuners get a hold of these cars the track key become obsolete. I mean, we modify our cars because we want more performance from them. I can't see paying $302 for a key when I can get a tune....

An aftermarket tune doesn't come with a warranty.

I'll take the Trackey.

cloud9

Established Member
He says it's 50 state legal, but unfortunately it's not available yet and they only say "ETA summer 2011 pending CARB (California Resources Board Approval) :cuss: My car's going to be here this week with a currently useless Red Key........

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
So the key is available to BOTH the base 302 AND the LS?
I was under the impression that it was only available on the LS.

RTD

Established Member
I'd love to see the aftermarket step up and be able to program both paths of the PCM here.

In fact, what I's really like is to have an aggressive (moreso than what Ford provides) tune for the red key that keeps all of the other goodies like the two step and then a "valet tune" for the standard key (detuned, lowered rev limiter, lowered speed limiter).

Most people that get the Boss will probably get the Track Key, and since even simple bolt-ons like a CAI require a retune, hopefully the other Track Key stuff can be retained.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I think the track key is an awsome idea, but It should be free. Why is ford charging for something that should come with the car??

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member

I don't think that tuners can match the amount of engineering that goes into this type of tune. Sure, tuners can do a basic tune to support the modifications done to the motor, but with a car that's 100% stock, this is one pretty serious tune.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that aftermarket tuners are willing and able to take advantage of the more advanced processing power, if you know what I mean. These computers have advanced considerably in the last 25 years since fuel injection first came out. It's like playing a PS3 game in 1080P 3D vs. 8 bit pong. If a tuner is worth our time, he should be able to take advantage of the more precise tuning features.

RTD

Established Member
I'd also like to see FRPP offer a "Performance Pack" like they do for the GT and GT500. Even if it were just a CAI/AIR-elim and a slightly more aggressive tune than in the standard Track Key that would be awesome. Particularly given how well the GTs respond to a CAI/tune.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'd also like to see FRPP offer a "Performance Pack" like they do for the GT and GT500. Even if it were just a CAI/AIR-elim and a slightly more aggressive tune than in the standard Track Key that would be awesome. Particularly given how well the GTs respond to a CAI/tune.

They do offer the Laguna Seca edition... It has 10" wide wheels in the back, stickier tires, thicker swaybars, rear seat delete with cross brace, and a few other goodies.

Unfortunately, they are only scheduled to produce 700 or so of the Laguna Seca cars.

You're probably looking for a performance pack that's more of a dealer add on? One that's not "limited production"?

I'd like to see a boss 429...

Homer

RTD

Established Member
They do offer the Laguna Seca edition... It has 10" wide wheels in the back, stickier tires, thicker swaybars, rear seat delete with cross brace, and a few other goodies.

Unfortunately, they are only scheduled to produce 700 or so of the Laguna Seca cars.

You're probably looking for a performance pack that's more of a dealer add on? One that's not "limited production"?

I'd like to see a boss 429...

Homer

Right I'm looking for something you can buy from the dealer for like $1k and either install yourself or have the dealer do, like all the other FRPP packs.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
So the key is available to BOTH the base 302 AND the LS?
I was under the impression that it was only available on the LS.
It's available on both cars, the engines and drive trains are identical. The main differences between the two are suspension, spoilers, and tires/rims.

They do offer a track pack it's called the Boss 302. :beer:

Fuerza

Established Member
An aftermarket tune doesn't come with a warranty.

I'll take the Trackey.

Yep thats nice. I'm sure if you accidentally spun a rod bearing at 8k RPMS on the track with your track key program in the PCM Ford would replace your motor without any questions.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Yep thats nice. I'm sure if you accidentally spun a rod bearing at 8k RPMS on the track with your track key program in the PCM Ford would replace your motor without any questions.
Since the Boss is being sold as a track car and the owners manual has a supplement on how to prepare the Boss for the track that's exactly what I'd expect.

Timber Wolf

Established Member
So if you pull up to a traffic light and there's a Porsche revving its engine at you do you have quickly fumble for the key and swap? I love everything about the key but feel that it should be more accessible while driving.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
So if you pull up to a traffic light and there's a Porsche revving its engine at you do you have quickly fumble for the key and swap? I love everything about the key but feel that it should be more accessible while driving.

Wait, what? Why are you driving it with the "Blah-ck" key? :sleeping:

Every stoplight is a chance to practice your launch! RED KEY dat biach!

LOL! Ok, I hear ya, but yer damn right I would be fumbling for that Red Key :)

Users who are viewing this thread